• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hands Free Refueling

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You're not going to get a big USAF tanker on station for every flight ops cycle. There needs to be gas available for the recovery and the flexibility in case things change. Bottom line, boat ops require organic tanking assets. That's not likely to change any time soon.

Brett

We don't even have a tanker at the boat. You either get aboard flying, or in the SAR helo. Then again, we have like a 99.9% boarding rate.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Not to quip, but you can put a harrier in reverse....As for refueling...as a hummer mole who is always worried about my assets' gas, I can tell you that although it's nice to have a KC-10 on station, the AF isn't exactly the most reliable asset. God forbid the crew broke crew rest by 15 seconds. They would have to take the day off. I would rather trust the guys in the airwing. At least then if they mess it up, the jet bubbas can go crucify them instead of me.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
gas, I can tell you that although it's nice to have a KC-10 on station, the AF isn't exactly the most reliable asset. God forbid the crew broke crew rest by 15 seconds. They would have to take the day off.

I know what you're trying to say, but until you've lived under the umbrella of our "dear leaders" in TACC you have no idea how overcontrolling and micromanaging they are. I know the 15 seconds is a joke, but when it comes out during the SIB that the crew's rest was interrupted and the crew didn't get reset it's our @sses that will be fried, and TACC will hold the skewer with a smile on their faces.

Look no further than the Lajes KC-10/Navy/USMC rescues and you'll know what I mean. The crews were heroes and were nearly fried (took the intervention of the Commandant and the CNO to save their bacon) for it

GT Propjock

Hands free refueling, hehe, it would make my job a lot easier.....:icon_smil But, then again, my flight mechs would have nothing to make fun of in the process...;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Xtndr50boom said:
And where did I say A-4 and A-6 folks miss the basket? :icon_wink
And where the fvck did I say ...*edit* delete*edit*delete* ....

*edit* ... Oooooops, sorry .... I had to delete my entire original post, as I see you voted for A4s for President.

I feel that I must respect my constituents, their sensibilities, refined manners, culture, and obvious good taste ..

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Is you is, or is you is ain't my constituency?

obroth6.jpg

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
And where the fvck did I say ...*edit* delete*edit*delete* ....

*edit* ... Oooooops, sorry .... I had to delete my entire original post, as I see you voted for A4s for President.

I feel that I must respect my constituents, their sensibilities, refined manners, culture, and obvious good taste ..

And the backpedaling and lobbying begins.... Three retirement checks AND secret service agents to buy limes for you, damn that's gotta be sweet!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Not to quip, but you can put a harrier in reverse....

Hence the 99% boarding rate. It's not quite that simple, but I grant your point.

The big difference for us is that the JV navy of L-class ships isn't always ready to recover us. All of the braking stop in the world won't help if the ship is AFU with choppers palm-treed on every spot.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I know what you're trying to say, but until you've lived under the umbrella of our "dear leaders" in TACC you have no idea how overcontrolling and micromanaging they are. I know the 15 seconds is a joke, but when it comes out during the SIB that the crew's rest was interrupted and the crew didn't get reset it's our @sses that will be fried, and TACC will hold the skewer with a smile on their faces.

Look no further than the Lajes KC-10/Navy/USMC rescues and you'll know what I mean. The crews were heroes and were nearly fried (took the intervention of the Commandant and the CNO to save their bacon) for it

If the air force worried more about covering peoples a$$es in life-or-death situations than covering their own a$$es in administrative micromanagement, then we'd be making some progress.

That isn't directed at you. I'm familiar with the whole Lages escapade and it was great work by the crews. It's a shame it took so much intervention to stop the brass from losing sight over the true importance of taking care of "our" own.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It could just take a long time to get the committee up to the tower to help out.
I realize you need like 6 winged aviators on three different freqs to remind you of the water switch-what the hell is that thing a bidet?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
It could just take a long time to get the committee up to the tower to help out.
I realize you need like 6 winged aviators on three different freqs to remind you of the water switch-what the hell is that thing a bidet?

You don't need six, just one. The other guys are out tea-bagging the skid guys coffee cups.

For the record, I don't think the deck has ever been fouled by the skids. It's usually your mouth-breathing retarded cousins from the assault support side.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't need six, just one. The other guys are out tea-bagging the skid guys coffee cups.

Guess you have to do something while we are out flying and you are scraping to get 10 hours in a month (smiles simulated)

Yeah we dont usually land on the aft end so much and it is hard to palm tree a two bladed system. I just get angry when the whole world has to stop for Harrier landings, why cant I land on spot 2 while they land on 7 and 9. I know that it's the boat that drives that and all but it is infuriating.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I just get angry when the whole world has to stop for Harrier landings, why cant I land on spot 2 while they land on 7 and 9. I know that it's the boat that drives that and all but it is infuriating.

All we need is for the helos to stay on deck (or the much-hated starboard D) for about five minutes for us to land. Is that so bad? We can land at 7 and 9 while helos are turning on all of the spots forward. I'll trade you all of your time waiting on us for all the time I've spent waiting on the assaults to launch. Deal?

Launching and CQ are a little different. We need the whole deck to launch (and hence for CQ multiple landings) but most of the time our launch is after the helos have left, so it's not a problem. Unless they're late launching. Again. Because they didn't know their takeoff times. Again. Or they wanted a box lunch. Again.

If you can avoid having our currency run out, you can avoid the CQ spool-ex (except for initial quals). Think about that when you're an OPSO of an ACE.

Oh wait.....the 46 mafia keeps that job to themselves. I guess you can languish with the other attack guys (fw/rw) in the bizzotch jobs. I'll see you there.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
SUNSET_AND_PALM_TREE-01.jpg

Ahh yes...Spot 9

Often, I'm too busy eating my ham sandwich and slurping away at my fruit juice to try and figure out that pesky blade-fold system.

You guys were only going to get a 0.8 anyways ;)