• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gwot

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We got both of them, the expeditionary for the 5th fleet deployment (of which both our squadrons were on the list for), and the other for 7th fleet, and support on the other deployment.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know this doesn't apply to you Zab, you've had more than 1 deployment in support of the GWOT, but an individual cannot use the same 30 day period to qualify for both medals (GWOTEM/GWOTSM). But if you have two qualifying periods (Like mult deployments), then you are elgible for both medals. I did see the qualifying units list a few weeks ago when they accidentally left the awards site on. I even got a link!

CFFC GWOTSM Qualified Command list as of 28Jan05

As for the ROTC stash guys, I am pretty certain this line was meant for you: NAVY PERSONNEL IN INITIAL ACCESSION TRAINING, TO INCLUDE FOLLOW-ON CAREER-SPECIFIC TRAINING, DO NOT QUALIFY FOR THE GWOTSM UNDER THIS AUTHORIZATION. ELIGIBILITY BEGINS ONCE ASSIGNED TO THE FIRST PERMANENT DUTY STATION AFTER COMPLETION OF INITIAL AND FOLLOW-ON TRAINING.

But my ROTC unit is on the list you say? Well you have to consider these lines:

2. GWOTSM BASIC ELIGIBILITY:
A. INDIVIDUALS WHO PARTICIPATED IN OR SERVED IN SUPPORT OF THE GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM FOR SPECIFIED OPERATIONS ON OR AFTER 11 SEPTEMBER 2001 AND TO A FUTURE DATE TO BE DETERMINED.
B. SERVICE MEMBERS MUST BE ASSIGNED, ATTACHED OR MOBILIZED TO A UNIT PARTICIPATING IN OR SERVING IN SUPPORT OF DESIGNATED OPERATIONS FOR 30 CONSECUTIVE DAYS OR 60 NONCONSECUTIVE DAYS OR MEET ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
(1) BE ENGAGED IN ACTUAL COMBAT REGARDLESS OF TIME IN THE OPERATION.
(2) WHILE PARTICIPATING IN THE OPERATION, REGARDLESS OF TIME, BE KILLED, WOUNDED OR INJURED REQUIRING MEDICAL EVACUATION.
3. SPECIFIED OPERATIONS. INITIAL APPROVED OPERATIONS ARE AIRPORT SECURITY (27 SEP 01 THROUGH 31 MAY 02), NOBLE EAGLE, ENDURING FREEDOM AND IRAQI FREEDOM. FUTURE APPROVED OPERATIONS WILL BE ANNOUNCED VIA NAVADMIN AND WILL POSTED ON THE NAVY AWARDS WEBSITE AT HTTPS://AWARDS.NAVY.MIL.
4. AWARDING AUTHORITY FOR NAVY PERSONNEL RESTS WITH THE CHIEF OF NAVAL OPERATIONS AND COMBATANT COMMANDERS.
A. CNO AUTHORIZES THE WEARING OF THE GWOTSM FOR NAVY PERSONNEL ATTACHED TO COMMANDS WHO EITHER DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY SUPPORTED THE DESIGNATED OPERATIONS. SUPPORT IS DEFINED AS ADMINISTRATIVE, LOGISTICAL, PLANNING, OPERATIONAL, TECHNICAL, READINESS AND ANY OTHER SUPPORT SERVICES RELATED TO THE DESIGNATED OPERATIONS.

So I'm sorry, but unless you were taking Mids to free Fallujah, you do not qualify, even if you ROTC unit is on the qualifying list. I'm guessing your unit is on the list to enable the instructors who are molding the future Officers to be recognized for their support ops. I am amazed that there really is any confusion about this.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Hmmm, agree with you Hoover, with one possible exception.

The list you posted includes (in Note 1) the exception:

Exception: Initial training personnel with documented previous military service meeting the criteria of paragraphs 2 and 3 of NAVADMIN 273/04 or other service certification are eligible for the GWOTSM

So, for those who were STA-21 or those who were prior service and stashed for 30 days or more, they fit the profile and the exception (STA-21 guys meet the criteria without the exception, no?). Brand new guys who just got in ... doesn't look like they fit.

Looks to me like if the instructors fit, so do the people above (and I think they all do).

If not, no skin off my back (it's fun to get my medals remounted time after time, and I'll love $hitcanning the flat ribbon set I bought at great expense). :)

Edit: I am NOT and expert on interpreting NAVADMINs or Egyptian heiroglyphs.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
VarmintShooter,
I completely agree, those with prior service are the exception to my rant, I guess I was just speaking to the new Ensign w/o prior time. I had to remount the medals & ribbons too, what a great way to spend $70+!

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
HooverPilot said:
... what a great way to spend $70+!

Haha ... I know ... seems like just about the time I have them mounted I get another one. Then, when I get them done again, somebody decides they want mini-medals. It's never ending ... :icon_smil

I talked to my PSD guy today, but I'm not holding my breath that I'll have an answer any time soon. For those in the same boat, I'll update if I get any word either way.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
We got both of them, the expeditionary for the 5th fleet deployment (of which both our squadrons were on the list for), and the other for 7th fleet, and support on the other deployment.
That's the key right there. You CANNOT earn both medals for the same cause, or even for a different cause during the same time period as the first cause. For example, being part of OEF and OIF during the same time period only gets you one. If you participate in onother operation or even in OEF or OIF again at a later date, then you would be eligible for the second. Operation Noble Eagle qualifies for the GWOTSM as well.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
I know this doesn't apply to you Zab, you've had more than 1 deployment in support of the GWOT, but an individual cannot use the same 30 day period to qualify for both medals (GWOTEM/GWOTSM). But if you have two qualifying periods (Like mult deployments), then you are elgible for both medals. I did see the qualifying units list a few weeks ago when they accidentally left the awards site on. I even got a link!

CFFC GWOTSM Qualified Command list as of 28Jan05

As for the ROTC stash guys, I am pretty certain this line was meant for you: NAVY PERSONNEL IN INITIAL ACCESSION TRAINING, TO INCLUDE FOLLOW-ON CAREER-SPECIFIC TRAINING, DO NOT QUALIFY FOR THE GWOTSM UNDER THIS AUTHORIZATION. ELIGIBILITY BEGINS ONCE ASSIGNED TO THE FIRST PERMANENT DUTY STATION AFTER COMPLETION OF INITIAL AND FOLLOW-ON TRAINING.

But my ROTC unit is on the list you say? Well you have to consider these lines:

2. GWOTSM BASIC ELIGIBILITY:
A. INDIVIDUALS WHO PARTICIPATED IN OR SERVED IN SUPPORT OF THE GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM FOR SPECIFIED OPERATIONS ON OR AFTER 11 SEPTEMBER 2001 AND TO A FUTURE DATE TO BE DETERMINED.
B. SERVICE MEMBERS MUST BE ASSIGNED, ATTACHED OR MOBILIZED TO A UNIT PARTICIPATING IN OR SERVING IN SUPPORT OF DESIGNATED OPERATIONS FOR 30 CONSECUTIVE DAYS OR 60 NONCONSECUTIVE DAYS OR MEET ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
(1) BE ENGAGED IN ACTUAL COMBAT REGARDLESS OF TIME IN THE OPERATION.
(2) WHILE PARTICIPATING IN THE OPERATION, REGARDLESS OF TIME, BE KILLED, WOUNDED OR INJURED REQUIRING MEDICAL EVACUATION.
3. SPECIFIED OPERATIONS. INITIAL APPROVED OPERATIONS ARE AIRPORT SECURITY (27 SEP 01 THROUGH 31 MAY 02), NOBLE EAGLE, ENDURING FREEDOM AND IRAQI FREEDOM. FUTURE APPROVED OPERATIONS WILL BE ANNOUNCED VIA NAVADMIN AND WILL POSTED ON THE NAVY AWARDS WEBSITE AT HTTPS://AWARDS.NAVY.MIL.
4. AWARDING AUTHORITY FOR NAVY PERSONNEL RESTS WITH THE CHIEF OF NAVAL OPERATIONS AND COMBATANT COMMANDERS.
A. CNO AUTHORIZES THE WEARING OF THE GWOTSM FOR NAVY PERSONNEL ATTACHED TO COMMANDS WHO EITHER DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY SUPPORTED THE DESIGNATED OPERATIONS. SUPPORT IS DEFINED AS ADMINISTRATIVE, LOGISTICAL, PLANNING, OPERATIONAL, TECHNICAL, READINESS AND ANY OTHER SUPPORT SERVICES RELATED TO THE DESIGNATED OPERATIONS.

So I'm sorry, but unless you were taking Mids to free Fallujah, you do not qualify, even if you ROTC unit is on the qualifying list. I'm guessing your unit is on the list to enable the instructors who are molding the future Officers to be recognized for their support ops. I am amazed that there really is any confusion about this.
Guess I should have read this post before commenting. Good infor above.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I think the whole CNET and subordinate commands means the staff. Staff have different UICs than the DUTY UNDER INSTRUCTION people.
Here's my question... those of you who can read Capitalian Letterism (NAVADMINs), please help me mesh this out.
I hit my two year point in March. I was duty under instruction at A school, nuclear power school and prototype. I'm currently duty under instruction TDU at NSI and will finish my PCS as duty under instruction at an NROTC unit (SUNY Maritime). Does something in this track mean I rate the GWOTSM??? I'm still AD and will be permanantly attached to the command there. Is this some sort of loophole, because I don't think I rate it. If some loophole says I have to have it, then should I press it? I don't like wearing what I haven't earned.
My stack

TransvestFO

Seven years of college, down the drain.
What a great thread! Warms my heart. Oh by the way, just passed 1500 KIA... Let's keep our eye on the ball. All that aside, you guys are all champs, keep up the hard work and push to get to the pointy end of the spear.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As someone who's been on the "pointy end" of that spear/knife/spork, there's nothing wrong with using this site and the resources (i.e. other guys who have BTDT, Webmaster, HooverPilot) to find out if you rate.

TransvestFO, by "you guys" in "... you guys are all champs..." I'm assuming you mean the newbies (just clarifying, not trying to start sh!t)

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
I think the whole CNET and subordinate commands means the staff. Staff have different UICs than the DUTY UNDER INSTRUCTION people.
Here's my question... those of you who can read Capitalian Letterism (NAVADMINs), please help me mesh this out.
I hit my two year point in March. I was duty under instruction at A school, nuclear power school and prototype. I'm currently duty under instruction TDU at NSI and will finish my PCS as duty under instruction at an NROTC unit (SUNY Maritime). Does something in this track mean I rate the GWOTSM??? I'm still AD and will be permanantly attached to the command there. Is this some sort of loophole, because I don't think I rate it. If some loophole says I have to have it, then should I press it? I don't like wearing what I haven't earned.
My stack
Tell me where in that pipeline you helped (or will help) support the war on terrorism. I'm not even asking for you to show that you were (or will be) in the fight.

To answer your question more directly though, the answer is no, you don't rate it. Trust me, you'll get your shot. We'll be doing this for awhile to come.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
As someone who's been on the "pointy end" of that spear/knife/spork, there's nothing wrong with using this site and the resources (i.e. other guys who have BTDT, Webmaster, HooverPilot) to find out if you rate.
'Cause obviously, I haven't done jack! :icon_smil

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I'd rather not rate it on a technical loophole anyhow. Since ensigns on hold at ROTC units were getting it, I hope that just being active duty at an ROTC unit doesn't mean I'm supposed to pin on a medal for an operation I haven't supported at all. I'm already going to get an attendance medal while in ROTC. I'd rather earn what I get.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
'Cause obviously, I haven't done jack! :icon_smil

My fault man, I just know their stories better than yours. You too :eyebrows_ . Feel the love.

I just used a smiley, I will smack myself later.

TransvestFO

Seven years of college, down the drain.
Right, my fault. I know it is hard to get any good info when you are in the pipeline. I didn't mean anything by it. I also know (having been through NFO and Pilot training and having instructed) that most of these guys (I am assuming studs because I really hope fleet guys aren't using this as an administrative resource) would probably be better served studying. I hope you get my point here. Their instructor is not likely to ask them about the GWOTEM, he/she will ask them the procedure for level speed change, engine failure, hot start, what's this V on the approach plate, etc, etc, etc. until their little noses bleed. That's all I meant by "eye on the ball". But I know they are curious little buggers, so be it. If you are a fleet guy and you are confused about the Navy's GWOT message (not entirely unlikely), I recommend you ask you Admin Officer. That's why he/she gets paid the big bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.