• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gwot

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
hooray... more pointless chest candy to add to the firewatch ribbon. If this keeps up, it'll wind up like the AF where you get ribbons for finishing boot camp or OCS.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
If this keeps up, it'll wind up like the AF where you get ribbons for finishing boot camp or OCS.

No.... say it isn't so. They get ribbons for that?!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chubby said:
But seriously y'all, if you want a new whipping boy for asking questions lemme know and I'll ask some dumb ones.

Not trying to get on your case, Chubby. I just wanted to observe that I'd rather miss a medal I rated (even if it did involve grog) than the other way around. Rather than both, of course, I'd rather be properly in uniform. Actually, I'm glad you brought up the question, b/c I'm curious to see just who rates, esp. since CNET and all "subordinate" commands apparently rate. First I've heard of this.

ENSsquid said:
hell yeah, here's my scorecard.
Long live the pizza stain! :D

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
So as I read it, Commander, Naval Education and Training Command and all subordinate commands rate the medal, minus those in initial training (prior to first duty station), but if you were a prior, then you rate it whether in initial training or not.

Really, could they make it any clearer? :confused:

Hmmm, so another medal to buy (after talking to PSD to be sure).

I got the info from the folowing document (in the "Hot News" section of https://awards.navy.mil/) ...

Attachments

• GWOTSM qualified command list 28 Jan 05.doc
    28 KB · Views: 343

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VarmintShooter said:
Really, could they make it any clearer? :confused:

Yes, but define "initial training." ROTC/Academy/OCS? API? Flight School? Just an ignorant butter-bar here . . . dunno.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
nittany03 said:
Yes, but define "initial training." ROTC/Academy/OCS? API? Flight School? Just an ignorant butter-bar here . . . dunno.

Best guess ... everything up until your first squadron. Not sure about the RAG, but the orders to API, Primary, and Advanced are all (I think) DUINS, which stands for Duty Under INStruction.

I'm not an expert by any means, so take that with a grain of salt.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
Does the GWOT go before or after the Handwriting Ribbon? I still haven't gotten my Perfect Attendance Ribbon either, should I go to PSD or my C.O. for that one?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know the academy people can wear the Natl Defense ribbon, so whether they can wear GWOT ribbon is an interesting question.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zippy said:
A. INDIVIDUALS WHO PARTICIPATED IN OR SERVED IN SUPPORT OF THE
GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM FOR SPECIFIED OPERATIONS ON OR AFTER 11
SEPTEMBER 2001 AND TO A FUTURE DATE TO BE DETERMINED.
B. SERVICE MEMBERS MUST BE ASSIGNED, ATTACHED OR MOBILIZED TO A
UNIT PARTICIPATING IN OR SERVING IN SUPPORT OF DESIGNATED OPERATIONS
FOR 30 CONSECUTIVE DAYS OR 60 NONCONSECUTIVE DAYS OR MEET ONE OF THE
FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
(1) BE ENGAGED IN ACTUAL COMBAT REGARDLESS OF TIME IN THE
OPERATION.

Webmaster, or anyone else with a GWOT Exped Medal, does this mean if you already have the GWOTEM, you qualify for the GWOTSM?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dunno, considering my (and most) GWOTEMs were awarded for "ACTUAL COMBAT" to "INDIVIDUALS WHO PARTICIPATED IN...THE GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM FOR SPECIFIED OPERATIONS ON OR AFTER 11 SEPTEMBER 2001", I have a sneaking suspicion the award will carry over. I know I worded the first post poorly, but according to the stated criteria...
Maybe the awards page will come back online this century with a list of eligible units.

Status
Not open for further replies.