• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guns and "Young" Ensigns

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Just don't go shooting any endangered birds with your buddies....

Why? I finally met one of the culprits...3 out of 4 of them made it just fine. The one I met is a WSO in super hornets. Seems like he's doing just fine. There's a lot more to the story than the garbage told to everyone at API.

Smilies in effect of course...probably still shouldn't shoot "endangered" birds. ;)

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
One thing to consider is what kind of toys you plan on buying. Most pilots end up getting attached to some form of M-4. In the past this wasn't a big issue, but recently Caifornia changed their rules and they no longer "honor" the military assault weapons permit like they used to. So if theres any chance of you getting stationed in CA, (Likely since the Navy has gone back to the mentality of consolidating power in essentially 2 main locations) you might want to consider the fact that you won't legally be able to bring anything they consider an "assault weapon" into the state.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One thing to consider is what kind of toys you plan on buying. Most pilots end up getting attached to some form of M-4. In the past this wasn't a big issue, but recently Caifornia changed their rules and they no longer "honor" the military assault weapons permit like they used to. So if theres any chance of you getting stationed in CA, (Likely since the Navy has gone back to the mentality of consolidating power in essentially 2 main locations) you might want to consider the fact that you won't legally be able to bring anything they consider an "assault weapon" into the state.

It's not that dire. It's ridiculous, I agree, but it's not like you can't bring in any AR lower into the state. There are plenty of "off-list" lowers out there that are legal. You can even buy the new Colts, both in CA or elsewhere, and bring them in legally.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
It's not that dire. It's ridiculous, I agree, but it's not like you can't bring in any AR lower into the state. There are plenty of "off-list" lowers out there that are legal. You can even buy the new Colts, both in CA or elsewhere, and bring them in legally.
It's been awhile since I researched the topic, but aren't you restricted to having a fixed butt stock and a magazine setup that requires a tool to release the magazine?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's been awhile since I researched the topic, but aren't you restricted to having a fixed butt stock and a magazine setup that requires a tool to release the magazine?

It's not that simple (in a good way). If you don't have a listed lower, you can have an AR with the "evil" features, including a collapsible stock, but it requires a "fixed magazine" that requires a tool to remove it. The work around is a bullet button which replaces the regular mag release. A bullet (or a finger pointy-thing) suffice. However, you can only have a 10 round (or less) mag with that set up.

You can have a "featureless" build that doesn't have any of the "evil features," including a pistol grip (which is defined) and then have a normal mag release and use 11+ round magazines. An M1A is an example but you can also configure ARs with a few different mods to make them fit this. I have one that I compete with so I can drop the mag easily (or if I take a class that cares about the rules). It's not perfect, but it's the workaround. I'll put it back into a normal config when I move out of the state.

Here's an actual flow chart: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...T5y7Qh&usg=AFQjCNH3xq6ayi_LCDbHB5S2ojJdNbH7Sw

None of this excuses the ridiculousness of the laws, but they are the workarounds.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Why? I finally met one of the culprits...3 out of 4 of them made it just fine. The one I met is a WSO in super hornets. Seems like he's doing just fine. There's a lot more to the story than the garbage told to everyone at API.

Smilies in effect of course...probably still shouldn't shoot "endangered" birds. ;)

They might be just fine, but because of the Navy's stance that "every incident requires policy change", we had to come in and physically muster every morning...in khakis...at 0700 while in A-pool. Am I being a big whiner...yes, but these ass-clowns made me limit my drinking every week night so I could still drive to muster and not get a DUI!

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Wait, so "the man" at API was telling everyone lies, but the guy who got in trouble gave you the straight scoop on what REALLY happened?

That sounds suspiciously similar to the story of every other Marine/Sailor I've talked to that got in some kind of trouble...

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Wait, so "the man" at API was telling everyone lies, but the guy who got in trouble gave you the straight scoop on what REALLY happened?

That sounds suspiciously similar to the story of every other Marine/Sailor I've talked to that got in some kind of trouble...

The "lies" at API were that those guys were shit-canned immediately, sepped from the Navy, end of story. The truth was, they got a letter in their jacket at API that went away as soon as they left that command. The trouble wasn't with the Navy at all.

He wasn't saying that he got a raw deal or "the Navy screwed me, man" like the stories you're talking about.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They might be just fine, but because of the Navy's stance that "every incident requires policy change", we had to come in and physically muster every morning...in khakis...at 0700 while in A-pool. Am I being a big whiner...yes, but these ass-clowns made me limit my drinking every week night so I could still drive to muster and not get a DUI!

I hate that we don't have negative rep any more, but yes, you're whining, it's obnoxious, get over mustering. We had 0700 musters every day in A-pool when I showed up before the bird shootings (that happened in my 4th week of API). Enjoy getting paid to do that, even if you have a BS stash job, while you can. In fact, I think it goes for anyone at every point in the Navy, if you have an opportunity to not be at work, take it. You will have more opportunities than you could ever imagine to be at work longer than you ever wanted.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

That was the case when I was briefly in A-pool in '08. 10 minute muster in khakis, and I was back home, in the backyard laying in the pool enjoying my day. There had not been any incident in recent history when I got there, just business as usual.