• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guns and "Young" Ensigns

canav08

Final Select SNA OCS 08 July 12
Kind of a dumb/presumptuous thing to ask considering there is no guarantee I will make it into this position but here goes.

From your experience, how "hard" is it to own multiple firearms while living the life/living situations of a new officer, particularly in the aviation community? I don't mean afford all the guns you want but, assuming you live off base, is it a big deal to own a decent sized safe like a ~500lb, 24 gun? Is something big like that best putting off until the career is a little less fast paced with frequent moves, potentially having roomates, etc? When you went through API/Primary/RAG was it common for others like yourself to own guns? Multiple guns? Safes? Or would I be considered nuts by my classmates if I was the housemate/roommate showing up with a fairly big safe?

What happens during deployments or if you ended up living on base for some reason?

I only ask because I'm kind of possessive/attached to my firearms, I like them to all be in one place under my control as much as possible. I do not come from a gun friendly state and leaving them at home could mean loosing them all if somebody in my family had even a minor run in with the law. No history of that but I'm talking even restraining orders from a crazy ex or something could do in the entire family owning guns and start a loosing legal battle to get them back without paying $100K. This does happen in the great state of Massachusetts, fairly regularly.

Sorry for the weird question, I know I made it sound super important but its far from my mind vs concentrating on actually getting into this game and staying there.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
....bring your guns. Let your buddies shoot them if you want to. (Make them buy their own ammo and clean them too) Don't let them shoot them if you don't want to. Drinking beer and shooting guns with some flight school buddies is a pretty standard Friday night for me in Kingsville.

canav08

Final Select SNA OCS 08 July 12
....bring your guns. Let your buddies shoot them if you want to. (Make them buy their own ammo and clean them too) Don't let them shoot them if you don't want to. Drinking beer and shooting guns with some flight school buddies is a pretty standard Friday night for me in Kingsville.

Cool, yea I get the feeling that, especially in the Aviation community, at least 50% are gun nuts like you and I.

I have no problem with anybody shooting my guns, I don't own anything thats picky, a shining safe queen or not reliable for thousands upon thousands of rounds. I agree, its some of the best fun one can have and I like to have a variety of guns on hand. I feel weird when some are here, others are there, etc.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

I'll second gotta_fly and say alcohol + guns = a REALLY stupid idea.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
From your experience, how "hard" is it to own multiple firearms while living the life/living situations of a new officer, particularly in the aviation community?.

FWIW I bought my first 16 gun safe back when I was in Pensacola (1987-8) and consider it some of the best money I've ever spent. The Navy moved it without complaint (sans guns of course) and it was true piece of mind when I was on a det short and long. I had many buddies store their guns in mine while they were gone and it was always worth at least a case of quality beer to them.

While things might have been a little more casual then, when I arrived at NAS Whidbey I asked where security was and told them I was PCS and had some weapons to store and they sent me over there. At NUW you actually have to backtrack as it's before you go through the gate or was anyway. The MA's were happy to help. I only has a 1/2 dozen and they were nothing exotic just shotguns, a couple of rifles and a Browning Hi-Power pistol. They issued me a custody receipt by serial number, I signed their log and I was off to the BOQ. When I found a place, it was the same process in reverse to take them out and to my off-base digs.

Talked to them a lot after that as you had to check on and out with security for on-base hunting. Always a good group of guys.

OscarMyers

None
What are some good things to look for in a gun safe? Not sure what would be overkill in the fire rating department. What would be a good reasonable price for a decent fire rating? Probably looking for something in the 15+ long gun range.

IRfly

None
Cool, yea I get the feeling that, especially in the Aviation community, at least 50% are gun nuts like you and I.

I have no problem with anybody shooting my guns, I don't own anything thats picky, a shining safe queen or not reliable for thousands upon thousands of rounds. I agree, its some of the best fun one can have and I like to have a variety of guns on hand. I feel weird when some are here, others are there, etc.

Yeah, every squadron is an NRA party.:rolleyes:

I'm just gonna say it: you're weird, and it's mildly disturbing to hear you talk about your emotional attachments to inanimate objects.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
What are some good things to look for in a gun safe? Not sure what would be overkill in the fire rating department. What would be a good reasonable price for a decent fire rating? Probably looking for something in the 15+ long gun range.

Reconfigurable in side. Mine is Fort Knox that originally held long guns on one side and shelves on the other. It now holds twice as manu long guns since it was easy to take the shelves out and still have a shelf on the top for handguns in boxes.

Mine is not a fire rated one but my next one will be. In the stead, I have a fireproof box in it for important papers.

I do not store ammunition in mine.