• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

{GUN THREAD} Bye Bye 9mm

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I'm confused, is the P228 and P226 9mm?Also, if the rest of the military is switching back to the .45, would the aviation community have the option of carrying either the P228 or the .45?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You've always been able to carry what you want. The problem becomes ammo. Each squadron is allocated a very limited amount of ammo for side arms, and if it's not the kind you're gun uses, you'd have to provide the ammo. Of course, that's also hard to move around, because it's supposed to be controlled. Yes, there's ways around it, but technically, it's not something you're supposed to be doing.

@Fly,

I have a video of us shooting, but I'm not sure how easy it is to see the trigger guards. Plus it's amusing because a dog runs out on the flight deck where we are shooting. I can't remember the good file sharing site I used to use, but once I find it, I'll try and upload it. I'm curious to see what it really is.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
metro said:
I've only fired the Mark 23 through two magazines, and only by invitation at a local range. Seemed like a fine pistol to me, but first impressions can be misleading, I guess. From my *very little* experience with it, it was a decent pistol.

Also, isn't/wasn't it the standard SOCOM sidearm for some time?

No one said it wasn't a fine pistol. It's a very good gun. Sure, it's accurate and reliable (like most every other pistol out there), but it's FUCKING HUGE and weighs a ton. That alone negates it's positives and makes it more a novelty than a contender for a standard service pistol -- it's the size of a Desert Eagle for gods sake. That, and the simple fact that it's stamped with "HK" on the slide results in it costing a lot more than it's worth. There is no reason to spend what a Mk23 costs for what you get. A plain USP will do the job the same..

If they want a hi-cap .45 that is US made, their options are rather limited. Doublestack 1911s (shudder), XDs, or USPs are about it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Springfield threw their hat in the ring for a service pistol competition. USPs are too pricey for such a scale. For sheer reliability, feeding of ANY ammo, and ease of maintenance though, they won't beat a Glock (made OCONUS, so not a player).

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Yeah, it was a big pistol, no doubt about it...about an inch or so longer than my full-size 1911, but nothing that bothered me too much. Of course, I have enormous hands, and am a big (6'5", 215) guy, so that might have had something to do with it. Didn't seem to weigh that much more than my stainless 1911...didn't feel like much more than half a pound more.

But all that aside, that doesn't mean it will be comfortable to someone else, particularly someone used to carrying something small and light on their side.

Agreed that since it's an H&K, it's overpriced....no argument at all, there.

I think you're right, Squeeze, I expect Springfield to throw the new XD-45 out as an offering. Seems to meet all the requirements, plus it's relatively small/comfortable for someone of most sizes and shapes. And nothing wrong with 14 rounds of .45 ACP!

I really hope they don't accept a doublestack 1911, I personally hate them. I doubt there's much to worry about there, I expect the SOCOM guys will probably come to the same conclusion about high-cap 1911s that I have.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
metro said:
Yeah, it was a big pistol, no doubt about it...about an inch or so longer than my full-size 1911, but nothing that bothered me too much. Of course, I have enormous hands, and am a big (6'5", 215) guy, so that might have had something to do with it. Didn't seem to weigh that much more than my stainless 1911...didn't feel like much more than half a pound more.

You shot two magazines through it... you didn't carry it... big difference when it comes to procurement.

Agreed that since it's an H&K, it's overpriced....no argument at all, there.

Even if they had a factory in the USA spewing out pistols like crazy, HK would still be overpriced. Why? Because it's HK. It's like buying Nike or Sony, you're paying for a name.

I'd like to see a P220, that'd be a great choice.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm having trouble downloading it, it gets about 10 seconds of download then stops, saying the file is unavailable on the server.

metro

Fly Navy said:
I'd like to see a P220, that'd be a great choice.

This is my hope. Haven't tried the XD45 yet, but having shot one in 9mm and .40, I was pretty pleased, so I expect good things from the .45. The only (obvious) problem with the P220 as opposed to the XD is mag capacity.

Another thing it might depend on between the XD and the P220 is the presence/lack of an external hammer. Would the XD be the first service pistol lacking one if it was accepted as the new standard?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
metro said:
Another thing it might depend on between the XD and the P220 is the presence/lack of an external hammer. Would the XD be the first service pistol lacking one if it was accepted as the new standard?

In the United States? As far as general issue, I believe so.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why would an external hammer be a deciding factor? Striker fired guns are less snag prone and have fewer parts to fail. Like I said, for all out reliability in any condition, they couldn't beat a Glock.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
Why would an external hammer be a deciding factor? Striker fired guns are less snag prone and have fewer parts to fail. Like I said, for all out reliability in any condition, they couldn't beat a Glock.

I agree, a Glock would be nearly ideal. Many armies use them.

I believe I've read before that the military likes the external hammer for decocking capability. They also have a hard-on for external safeties.

metro

Fly Navy said:
I believe I've read before that the military likes the external hammer for decocking capability.

This is what I thought. If that's the case, then the XD and Glock both might be out of the running.

Lawman

None
squeeze said:

It was a requirement and has been a requirement every time the military goes looking for a new gun not just with the M9 but the M11 and whatever Rugar the Army is buying now for the Motor Transport guys. Another hangup on Glock is the lack of an true *read traditional* Safety for the weapon. Grip Safetys are all you need IMHO, provided you properly train your gun bearers, but hey this is a government job.

Yeah and the Mk23.... never gonna happen. There is no reason to try and fit that monster 2+ Grand pistol into a role like that. The weapon was designed for Offensive Close quarters operations. The USP can do everything it can, and if you need a suppresor that badly get the tactical and you've got the ability to use one. Christ the Mk23 is almost big enough you could put a bayonet on it, but that would take away from its effectiveness as a club.

Im looking at the P3000 for this contest. H&K can make them cheaper if they wanted to. I see the make or break factor as them demanding to much for their own good and screwing themselves on it.