• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

{GUN THREAD} Bye Bye 9mm

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
1911vm9.GIF

Here's a couple of quick & dirty reads on the M9/9mm ('cause that's what it is :)) ... vs 1911/45 ACP debate. Just so there won't be any semi-hysterical hissy-fits over the subject and we know what happens ... guns just "go off".

Not the final word, by any stretch of the imagination. And my preference is ... ??? :)

http://www.sightm1911.com/M1911vsM9.htm

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_158_26/ai_86704766/print

willy victor

Umm . . . the article is referring to SOCOM, not the entire military. And I would agree with Squeeze. The three most important things are shot placement, shot placement, and shot placement. You could have a .50cal and it doesn't mean dick if you can' t hit anything with it.

(loving my new old Glock)

Are you trying to tell me that SOCOM needs 645000 new AUTO PISTOLS

Willy Victor

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow . . . didn't you guys set me straight on that like 3 months ago?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know in the AF right now, all aircrew (pilots, WSO, loadmaters, crewchiefs) are required to fly with a weapon anytime they are not in CONUS. I thik it's about force protection, etc than about SERE.

Its because it makes the Air Force feel like they are part of the fight, personally I would not want to see some of the AF aircrew that I have flown with to be armed (some Navy guys too).

I am of the school that carrying a gun in the plane is more psychological than anything else. It probably would be more use for barter to get some Kurd or another local to help you out than to shoot someone. If I am up aginst a platoon of soldiers armed to the teeth or a bunch of angry locals (I would prefer the soldiers, they better know the value of a live prisoner), who are probably armed too since it seems like everyone in Iraq and Afghanistan seem to have an AK-47, I am not planning on being John Wayne. I don't care what kind of gun you have, 9mm, 45, M16 or a 50 cal, all the guys who think a gun is going to help you in a 'firefight' after you get shot down are living in a fantasyland.

snort

Banned
I still carry a Colt Commander 45 ACP. The only time I used it, it worked. The guy went down with one shot to the the torso. End of story.

You can carry whaterever, but, I'll stick with the .45.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still carry a Colt Commander 45 ACP. The only time I used it, it worked. The guy went down with one shot to the the torso. End of story.

You can carry whaterever, but, I'll stick with the .45.

What is the story???...enquiring minds gotta know....any LEO action after the fact?