• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Great De-Stresser Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
There is a tradition which I have tried like hell, with varying degrees of success, to keep alive called "Steak and Knobber Friday." I have found it works well with cold beer and the kids to bed early. The stress just melts away. I highly recommend it.

With a wife and kid all I can say is......absolutely epic.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
my idea of a de-stresser is scented candles and a bubble bath.

Yeah, no.

I went surfing about 5 days a week in Corpus. No stress at all.

The Sharp Shooter is also a decent "couples friendly" PG activity.

But sometimes the best thing is to just not have to do anything, be anywhere. Just hang out at home, screw around on the web, flame some 12 year old on AW, etc. The simple things.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Good food. It is always a destressor to eat something that tastes really good. The wife and I probably spend a bit more on food than my TBS peers, but coming home from work and sitting down to a nice meal really does put me in a good mood.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I don't know how long you've been around the Navy and the Program by now. Some new wives-of-students really don't get how this whole game functions, some are old pros (Navy brats and such), most are somewhere between confused, bored, lonely, and pissed.

pickle said it well: students have no control over their fates right now. They cannot speed up time or make orders come quicker or change the orders they get, and one of the quickest ways for a student to paint a target on himself is to start asking. Better yet, a poor fellow in my API class who got orders to Corpus when wife wanted to stay in P'cola and the wife showed up at STUCON to complain. That was not a marriage that lasted long.

Add to that he's got screaming assholes on his back all day long. That's probably died off a bit by now since he's in Advanced and thus in Big Boy Pants, but it will come back strong when he hits the RAG.

So, the best de-stressor is probably: don't add to his stress. And, yeah, sorry it's not PG or PC, but meeting him at the door with an adult beverage and sex act of his choice when he's had a bad day will always make everything all better. Just sayin'.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Wow. Thanks guys. Being a chick my idea of a de-stresser is scented candles and a bubble bath. I figured my husband would appreciate something different. I think where I went wrong when posting this thread was in giving you the benefit of the doubt that you don't have one track minds. My mistake. Kudos to the woman who came up with the PSC.

Yup...and if your husband is a man, he will too...and want the same thing we all want...

Keep asking other women what their husbands want and you will get the same BS answers. Ask the men and we will tell you, a beer, a brat, and a BJ...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Wow. Thanks guys. Being a chick my idea of a de-stresser is scented candles and a bubble bath. ..... Kudos to the woman who came up with the PSC.
You want to know what destresses a chick, go to the PSC. You want to know what destresses a guy, ask here.

The candles and bubble bath would work - as long as it's sandwiched between the steak and BJ.

helo_wifey

You could just ask him what he would really appreciate most when he came home from work instead of asking people who don't know either of you...just another perspective :)

Angels

Contributor
You guys really read into posts don't you?
Well, I don't know how long you've been around the Navy and the Program by now. Some new wives-of-students really don't get how this whole game functions, some are old pros (Navy brats and such), most are somewhere between confused, bored, lonely, and pissed.
pickle said it well: students have no control over their fates right now. They cannot speed up time or make orders come quicker or change the orders they get, and one of the quickest ways for a student to paint a target on himself is to start asking.
I am an Army brat.
Like I said hubby just started Advanced and we already know where were going to next so no issues there.

Angels

Contributor
As a married dude who went through Corpus...with kids...here are my ideas to you:

Also, when you create spawn with your husband (if you have not yet done that) it is NOT okay for you to "check out" when we get home. Basically that means I get done doing MY job (the one that earns money) and then have to do YOUR job while you eat a fucking BonBon, shop on E-Bay, or go do something fun. (for my own personal protection...I am NOT saying Mrs. Pickle does this...I have seen some of my other buddies get shafted like this)
quote]
No spawn. :p... except four furry four legged ones!
Don't know what a BonBon is!

Angels

Contributor
You could just ask him what he would really appreciate most when he came home from work instead of asking people who don't know either of you...just another perspective :)
Again, was looking more for fun activities to do in Corpus. Like the surfing suggestion was a good one. Didn't realize Corpus beaches were good for surfing. Hubby has been here the same amount of time as myself so knows just as little as I do about Corpus Christi. Was hoping there was more here then meets the eye. Tough crowd.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

TreeSwallowMale.jpg

How will that help? All that bird poop to clean up can't be destressing? :D

MasterBates

Okay, mine may me more of a "DO NOT DO" list, because most are aware at my epic relationship FAIL a couple years back.

Pickle hit the nail on the head pretty well.

Do Not:
Try to make it into a "my day is so much harder than yours" contest. When I was in Primary, my then GF (future fiancee/wife and ex wife in that order) was finishing her degree at A&M and was waitressing for pocket money. Getting "Double Sat" as a waitress =/= double pumps in the sim for RIs.

Complain about how he took you away from friends, etc. I did not have this problem in Corpus, but when we went to Pcola for Helo Advanced and JAX for the RAG/Fleet Tour, I got this non-stop.

Use the "We are just moving in 2 months, there is no point to getting a job" excuse and then complain about money. If he is the breadwinner, he gets to decide HOW it gets spent. You want a say in how the money is spent, get a job. NOTE- if you are married/kids and he's blowing it on gambling and toys, and your kids are hungry as a result you MAY have a reason to bitch.

Get on his ass for blowing money on "toys" when you want it spent on "us".. His money, his toys. DO not be the wife/fiancee/GF who whines about him buying a $60 Xbox game or a $500 gun when you have multiple $400 purses and more shoes than Imelda Marcos.

DO
Make friends, and have your own life. If you are not actively raising small kids there is NO excuse to not have a job. When women sit at home and watch TV all day aside from getting fat, they seem to inject lots of drama into life. I think it's the watching the daytime TV crap where everybody is cheating, and the few nice guys on the soaps are soooooo romantic that just makes women overthink shit. Whenever my ex was busy with school or working, things went well, but when she was sitting at home be it over a school break or when she quit her job then my orders got delayed a month, that was when the "I KNOW YOU DON'T LOVE ME, YOU JUST LIKE MY TITS" shit comes. Or the "You went on a cross country with Kelly (Female SNA) you HAD TO HAVE slept with her" shit came out.

helo_wifey

Again, was looking more for fun activities to do in Corpus. Like the surfing suggestion was a good one. Didn't realize Corpus beaches were good for surfing. Hubby has been here the same amount of time as myself so knows just as little as I do about Corpus Christi. Was hoping there was more here then meets the eye. Tough crowd.

Hubby just started Advanced (yea for EP's! ) and was wondering what the spouses do* to help de-stress their guys, other than spending $200 on professional massages.

*Disclaimer- new to AW but think I have read enough threads to say PG rated ideas please.

Just as a side note, your original post didn't ask for things to do in Corpus...just things that a spouse could do to help de-stress their husband (the PG disclaimer only fueled X-rated responses). You get what you ask for. If you would have asked for things to do in Corpus you would have gotten responses of that nature.

Not really a tough crowd, you just have to know how to work em. Welcome to AW. :)

MandaK

Get on his ass for blowing money on "toys" when you want it spent on "us".. His money, his toys. DO not be the wife/fiancee/GF who whines about him buying a $60 Xbox game or a $500 gun when you have multiple $400 purses and more shoes than Imelda Marcos.

Nice Imelda Marcos reference Master.

Let your DH indulge in whatever activity he likes to do to de-stress first, whether it's going for a motorcycle ride, surfing the internet, or grabbing a beer with a buddy. After he's had a chance to have some "him" time, he'll be better for hanging out with. I think Pickle mentioned that you should have a plan of what you want to do. If you leave it up to your DH, you'll probably end up sitting at home. Outdoor rec on base might have some cool things to do--- rent a kayak, boat, etc. If you like to workout, find a group exercise class that you can enjoy together on base. CC has a pretty good selection. Good luck.

Angels

Contributor
Okay, mine may me more of a "DO NOT DO" list, because most are aware at my epic relationship FAIL a couple years back.

...when you have multiple $400 purses and more shoes than Imelda Marcos.
No $$$ purses. As far as the shoes go, have you been in my closet?!:eek:

If you are not actively raising small kids there is NO excuse to not have a job.
I do have a full time job thank you. Before flaming someone perhaps you should check their bio first...

When women sit at home and watch TV all day...
hate daytime television

And yes MB, I am well aware of your fat ex wife. If you recall we met a few months ago in SA and over dinner you discussed in detail how she wronged you so. I thought it was odd conversation for meeting someone for the first time but I do feel sorry for you, she sounded like a nut! And no, I am not a manatee in training. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.