• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Got Sig?

MasterBates

When I said yes, I assumed Nitt wanted to know if a 9mm P226 mag would fit a 40 P226 and so forth.

229s are smaller, and 220s are different.

BigRed389

None
/threadjack

Can anyone recommend good ranges/ gun shops in the Norfolk area?

//

Concur with Bob's for shop, not so much for the range.

IMO Camp Allen MCX is the best range for cost of use and facilities, but ammo prices there are ridiculous...bring your own.

There's supposedly an outdoor rifle range, but I haven't had the time to go hunt it down yet.

Ricky Bobby

Concur with Bob's for shop, not so much for the range.

IMO Camp Allen MCX is the best range for cost of use and facilities, but ammo prices there are ridiculous...bring your own.

There's supposedly an outdoor rifle range, but I haven't had the time to go hunt it down yet.

+1 for Camp Allen range. Real real nice facility and you can get a year long membership for pretty cheap. I'm assuming the outdoor range you are talking about is the one out in Pungo. It's called C2 (http://www.thec2center.com/). Haven't been out there in a while though...I should probably do something about that.

tlord82

pilot
Continuing the thread jack: Anybody know any good dealers in the San Diego area?? i'm looking for p220.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Continuing the thread jack: Anybody know any good dealers in the San Diego area?? i'm looking for p220.
I would see if Miramar or the Recruit Depot Exchanges have a gun counter. In all honesty, when I was in CA I steared clear of purchasing a handgun...something about registering it for frigain $75 just pissed me off. I think TOPGUNSUPPLY is also based out CA, they'd be another good bet. I'm assuming your are no longer in Al Asuck so curious as to how long the old IA ended up being? How long were you out of the cockpit and did they send you back to the RAG for a couple weeks or straight to a Squadron? Word.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Also, I hear .357 SIG is expensive... you pay a premium v. .40/9mm for it?

It is a little bit pricier but not by much. I personally feel the better ballistics of the .357 Sig round far outweigh the slightly higher price. Then again, I reload so the price it pretty small as is.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
The 357 SIG cartridge is just .40 S&W necked down...

Not true.

The .357 Sig is the same diameter at the base of the shell but it isn't a necked down .40. If you neck down a .40 S&W the brass will be .020-.030 inches too short. The reason for using that diameter brass was to be able to store enough powder in the shell without compressing the load and still being able to reproduce the ballistics of the .357 Magnum. At the same time it keeps the OAL relatively short, which in turn keeps the action short. Comparatively, the OAL for a .357 Sig is 1.140" while .357 Mag is 1.590".

The only way to really neck down a round to emulate .357 Sig is to use 10mm brass, but there isn't any load data using for .357 Sig with a large pistol primer and the cost of 10mm brass.

MasterBates

I think what they mean when they say 40 brass necked down, is that it starts life as the same shape but is not trimmed as much to allow for the length the necking takes back.

I toured an ammo factory museum as part of a ME class at GMI. Really neat how they are made.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
IBB, whose dies do you use for 357Sig, and do you care to share your "recipe"?

Lee. The only thing that sucks about reloading is it's a bottleneck so no carbide dies are available for it, hence have to lube up the cases.

Right now I'm using about 8.5 gr of HS-6 behind a 124 gr flatnose.