• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Got Sig?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Sig?

Those who know me know that I'm a rifle guy and know little about pistols. I do, however, own two pistols but don't shoot them very often but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy them. To me guns are like flight hours: you can never have enough.

What do y'all think of Sig P-226's? There are a couple of us getting together for a group purchase (Military commemorative pistol w/engraving, for details PM me). Most have decided on 9mm. Sigs seem to have a good reputation but I would like to hear some first hand info.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Anything I'll tell you you'll be able to read on say sigforum so I won't bother, but I will say if you're looking at buying new...I would recommend going over there and looking at the deals some of the dealers have. Remember, Sig has a $100 military coupon mail in as well for handguns bought new...but limited to the Nitron and Two/Tone finishes for 226's. A lot of those dealers sell them for cost plus a tiny bit just to move them, outstanding deals imho.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
The group purchase I'm referring to is:

P220/P226/P229 w/night sites, 3 mags, lock and lockable case.

Not to mention the custom engraving that we'll have representing our upcoming deployment.

$626 per

Now, there are stipulations:

No less than 20.
All have to be the same make/model/caliber/engraving.
$ has to come from one source.

I should have clarified in my first post.

For those pistol experts, does this sound like a good deal?

FLY_USMC

pilot
That's an awesome deal.....assuming you still get the $100 military rebate...that's an OUTSTANDING deal. I got a Two/Tone 229R for $705 shipped...got the $100 for the rebate back and paid $605 and I was extremely happy, $526 would be sickening. What engraving is it going to have?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Those who know me know that I'm a rifle guy and know little about pistols. I do, however, own two pistols but don't shoot them very often but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy them. To me guns are like flight hours: you can never have enough.
What do y'all think of Sig P-226's? There are a couple of us getting together for a group purchase (Military commemorative pistol w/engraving, for details PM me). Most have decided on 9mm. Sigs seem to have a good reputation but I would like to hear some first hand info.

Good one.

I have only fired one Sig; ....and really liked the way it fit my hand and the way it worked. Price seems good.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I have an older sig 226 that I bought used. I have never had ANY sort of problem with it, let alone a failure to fire or a jam. Sig reliability is about as solid as it gets IMHO.

snake020

Contributor
Can't go wrong with a SiG. My 229 fits perfect, feels balanced, and trigger pull and recoil are a non-issue. You can be the worst shot ever and shoot consistently.

utak

I got my P226R in 9mm, with nite sights and 5 magazines, for $659 brand new from SIG when they still had the older military purchase program. Incredible deal.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Sign me up for E5B's deal! Oh, wait, already did.

I'll just echo what I said at the squadron the other day: I bought a pre-owned/certified P220 w/ SigLites a couple months ago, and it's a phenomenal pistol. There was an issue with one of the magazines that came with it, though, as the follower was gouged out from something. I called Sig, and they put a new one in the mail for me the next day. Haven't had a problem since.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Been carrying a SIG P228 on duty and shooting for fun for nearly 15 years now. Not one problem. Thousands of rounds, many hundred on a LE range and in tactical scenarios. I agree with the statement above. Would not trade it for anything. I do have a H&K Compact 40 that comes real close. But that model has had firing pins break. Mine hasn't, but it worries me. Going to have it changed out. In the SIG .40 is good, SIG .357 even better, tho plinking ammo will cost more.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Own a 9mm P226 and a .40/357 P229 . . . Love them both, though I'm still trying to work out the whole double action thing (small hands + long trigger pull == ass pain). I've got wood grips from SIG on the p226, but I'm debating going back to plastic as they are too thick.

If you get .40S&W, you can drop in a .357 SIG barrel and get basically 2 guns for the price of one. Some companies make aftermarket 9mm barrels also, but those will require a magazine change as well.

.357 SIG is fun as HELL to shoot, but pricey.
Think .357 Magnum, or close, in an autopistol round. You can feel the slide slamming back and forth as it cycles a new round. Probably not good for long-term wear, but it's a machine, not a museum piece! .40 is less accurate (I think) but cheaper and less abusive on the gun. At any rate, both my SIGs are more accurate than the owner.

MasterBates

I do.

New P226, night sights, in 357.

$874 OTD from the Camp Allen MCX.

Attachments

• nightsmall.jpg
    nightsmall.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 170
  • sightsmall.jpg
    sightsmall.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 178
  • P226rightsmall.jpg