• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going for Information Warfare. Have an idea of how to do it, am I correct?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Those "daily JO grind" activities are best avoided by showing up to work everyday in a flight suit while your squadron JO brethren wear khakis (or uniform of the day) and you volunteer for FCF duty daily. It worked for 4 years :)

egiv

With IW, I go straight into Intelligence and go straight into support and behind a desk, something like that? I've always dreamed of becoming a "big guy" in the military, but I don't really have the political "mingling" personality that it takes to become up there, so I felt Intel was more for me. Being an SWO does sound exciting, though a lot more work and a lot more out of my comfort zone than probably IW.

I just want to make sure I have all my facts here straight. I haven't really done much research in terms of what IW exactly does and where they station, although that would be a deal-killer for me. I join the Navy so I can go out and travel. If I wanted to stay in one location for years at a time, I would apply for Air Force who I know is looking for CS majors (due to the fact that 2 of my friends in my program are Lieutenants that the AF said to go back to school and get a Masters in CS, so they come to classes in uniform and everything). I believe I know what I'm signing up for, but I would definitely like it if someone told me my view is too much candyland or whatever, I would be perfectly ok with a wakeup call. Or even if some of the facts I have about the jobs are wrong too.

Thanks for all ya'lls help!

A few points (from another IW):

- You need to seriously evaluate why you want a commission in the Navy. Like many new Officers I know, you have a lot of demands and sound awfully eager to soak up the privileges of commissioned service, but I promise you the majority of it is not glamorous, no matter what designator you choose. At the risk of sounding salty, it's not about you, it's about your Sailors, and if you're not joining to lead people first and foremost, I recommend pursuing other options. You will not get every duty station you want, nor every job you want, and you will certainly get pushed beyond your comfort zone from the beginning.

That said, if you can balance all of that, swallow your pride in the beginning, work hard and earn respect, there are few careers more rewarding than this one.

- One of the cool things about the IW community is that there is not a hard and fast career path, like Intel or SWO. This means it's really hard to say what you would do as an IWO. Generally speaking, your first tour is likely at a large IW-centric command where your mission is to study and get qualified (there is a lot to learn). After this, we are encouraged to go 'tactical,' meaning a ship, plane, sub, etc. After that, you could get a Master's (NPS is common). However, as mentioned, there is no set-in-stone career path so your mileage may vary.

I recommend doing your research - the information is out there if you look hard enough - and only apply if you are doing so for the right reasons. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, just want to give a dose of reality.

Toastrules

A few points (from another IW):

... At the risk of sounding salty, it's not about you, it's about your Sailors, and if you're not joining to lead people first and foremost, I recommend pursuing other options. ...

Definitely thanks a bunch for your input! I do think that I may have a lot of expectations, but talking to a ton of old friends I had in the Navy gave me a pretty general picture of what to expect and what to not "overexpect." I understand Navy life is not glamorous, especially watch duties or being underway, and I would have a much more comfy time living in civilian life as a contractor or even a GS.

However I do want to say that it just doesn't sound right that I want to join the Navy just to lead people, that sounds very pretentious and almost like a shortcut to being a "respected person." Respect is a massive word in my dictionary and I feel like that wording just makes it sound like I want to join the Navy so I can command people to do whatever I want and me be a power hungry asshole-- That is exactly what I do not want. I feel the relationship between Officer and Enlisted is a 2 way relationship that both parties have equal expectations over the other: The Officers expect the Enlisted to follow them and the Enlisted expects the Officers to be confident and make confident and correct decisions, and I want to join the Navy so I can be part of that relationship, not so that I can just "lead people".

... Anyway I digress. I will be back in the U.S. soon and will be studying for the OAR and not the Aviation portion. I've had all of winter break to think things through and I figured out my plan: I plan on fully dedicating myself to my job and not marrying or anything, so I want to have something that will push me to my limits-- if I am qualified I will ask them about the SWO-IW path, and make that my #1 choice, then IW, then SWO. I've written, read, and reread my motivational statement and I believe that this is what the best path is that suits my personality.

exNavyOffRec

Definitely thanks a bunch for your input! I do think that I may have a lot of expectations, but talking to a ton of old friends I had in the Navy gave me a pretty general picture of what to expect and what to not "overexpect." I understand Navy life is not glamorous, especially watch duties or being underway, and I would have a much more comfy time living in civilian life as a contractor or even a GS.

However I do want to say that it just doesn't sound right that I want to join the Navy just to lead people, that sounds very pretentious and almost like a shortcut to being a "respected person." Respect is a massive word in my dictionary and I feel like that wording just makes it sound like I want to join the Navy so I can command people to do whatever I want and me be a power hungry asshole-- That is exactly what I do not want. I feel the relationship between Officer and Enlisted is a 2 way relationship that both parties have equal expectations over the other: The Officers expect the Enlisted to follow them and the Enlisted expects the Officers to be confident and make confident and correct decisions, and I want to join the Navy so I can be part of that relationship, not so that I can just "lead people".

... Anyway I digress. I will be back in the U.S. soon and will be studying for the OAR and not the Aviation portion. I've had all of winter break to think things through and I figured out my plan: I plan on fully dedicating myself to my job and not marrying or anything, so I want to have something that will push me to my limits-- if I am qualified I will ask them about the SWO-IW path, and make that my #1 choice, then IW, then SWO. I've written, read, and reread my motivational statement and I believe that this is what the best path is that suits my personality.
SWO cannot be place as third as they only consider those that place it 1 or 2 Rufio has put that out many times, and from what was said after the last board it sounds like the SWO options are full until FY17 so I would put IW then SWO then SWO-IW on the chance something changes, I do think with your degree and gpa you have a chance.

Toastrules

Hello all! Just a quick update but it seems to be going smoothly-ish... I'm getting further and further with the recruiter which is super cool, and I'm going to do SWO-IDC then SWO then IDC. I've realized after thinking about this thread and my life choices that despite my major and my way of thinking and personality, SWO would probably be healthier for me as an individual, and help me grow and become a disciplined person

I was able to score a 64 on the OAR and successfully graduated and getting my transcripts in. I think combined it's about a 3.56 GPA, so now I'm working on all the medical forms and ASPR. THere is a small speedbump though in that I have a full-time job and it's harder for me to meet with the recruiter. Also, I've read around and it seems like SWO-IDC isn't.. chosen.... a lot, but it's my first choice since I want a guaranteed backup plan if SWO doesn't suit me. I hope my scores and such are good enough for the boards, so I'm just relying on those and my motivational statement for now until I hear word back.

Thank you all for your assistance with this!

exNavyOffRec

Hello all! Just a quick update but it seems to be going smoothly-ish... I'm getting further and further with the recruiter which is super cool, and I'm going to do SWO-IDC then SWO then IDC. I've realized after thinking about this thread and my life choices that despite my major and my way of thinking and personality, SWO would probably be healthier for me as an individual, and help me grow and become a disciplined person

I was able to score a 64 on the OAR and successfully graduated and getting my transcripts in. I think combined it's about a 3.56 GPA, so now I'm working on all the medical forms and ASPR. THere is a small speedbump though in that I have a full-time job and it's harder for me to meet with the recruiter. Also, I've read around and it seems like SWO-IDC isn't.. chosen.... a lot, but it's my first choice since I want a guaranteed backup plan if SWO doesn't suit me. I hope my scores and such are good enough for the boards, so I'm just relying on those and my motivational statement for now until I hear word back.

Thank you all for your assistance with this!

there were no quotas for any SWO IDC last board, there might be next time, or there may not.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think the real challenge is being the idiot Ensign Intel/IW/(insert community) O who knows literally nothing and is suddenly "in charge" of a bunch of 2nd/1st classes and CPO's with probably all of your education credentials plus a dozen years of experience both in the job, and in the Navy. It is kinda sorta easier in aviation because, as a division officer, you can just admit "meh I don't really know this whole maintenance thing, can you show me?" because you do actually know your real specialty (flying). I think it becomes more difficult in other communities where you show up leading sailors who know your own job/specialty/warfare much better than you will for at least a few years. That can be a tough nut to crack, and I think it really boils down to people skills in the end. Everyone knows you are an idiot, but are you an idiot that they don't mind being around?