• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going for Information Warfare. Have an idea of how to do it, am I correct?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
If you have walked into my office looking at your degree and GPA and you said you wanted to go for IW I would say you probably have a chance, now the selection rate is low so the next question would be "is your ultimate goal to be an officer?" if so I would say look at putting SWO as #2, realistically the boards only take a hard look at those who put selections 1 and 2.

Again more advertisement to stay the hell away from SWO career field. I was at best a "C" student in college, drank lots of beer, had a fun lifestyle, successfully earned a commission 4 years of NROTC, etc. Do you just look at GPA's all day and stats?

exNavyOffRec

Again more advertisement to stay the hell away from SWO career field. I was at best a "C" student in college, drank lots of beer, had a fun lifestyle, successfully earned a commission 4 years of NROTC, etc. Do you just look at GPA's all day and stats?

That is primarily what the boards look at, the exceptions are nuke and CEC who also do interviews, but they also want high GPA and specific degrees/classes, and aviation that looks at ASTB, a "C" average wouldn't even qualify to submit an application in the recent several years. I have had kids ask me if it is better to do OCS or NROTC, and it really depends, I tell them if they just want to serve and can get into NROTC do it since if you become a so so student you should still be able to commission, but if a person is only wanting to do a specific job then maybe OCS is the better route. We had several NROTC stash ensigns at my NRD and some if they hadn't gone NROTC would never had been able to get a commission because they did so bad in college

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
That is primarily what the boards look at, the exceptions are nuke and CEC who also do interviews, but they also want high GPA and specific degrees/classes, and aviation that looks at ASTB, a "C" average wouldn't even qualify to submit an application in the recent several years. I have had kids ask me if it is better to do OCS or NROTC, and it really depends, I tell them if they just want to serve and can get into NROTC do it since if you become a so so student you should still be able to commission, but if a person is only wanting to do a specific job then maybe OCS is the better route. We had several NROTC stash ensigns at my NRD and some if they hadn't gone NROTC would never had been able to get a commission because they did so bad in college

This is great insight - I get it. Thank god for Ronald Reagan and John Lehman that's all I can say. Are you patriotic? - check. Can you pass a PT test? - check Did you get admitted to an accredited university? Check - OK here's a 4 year NROTC scholarship, a commission, and the chance to earn your wings of gold. Eternally grateful every day of my life.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
My undergrad GPA is so terrible I had to wait 10 years, manage lots of people, get a TS clearance, and take a bunch of graduate schooling to compensate.

I don't know why I felt so pressured to get my B.A. in only 4 years. Nobody in my DCO interviews ever asked "How long did it take for you to graduate from college?" I should have stuck around campus a few more semesters and kept retaking courses with bad grades until I had a 3.X (where X equals the magical secret squirrel number painted on the wall in Millington).

exNavyOffRec

My undergrad GPA is so terrible I had to wait 10 years, manage lots of people, get a TS clearance, and take a bunch of graduate schooling to compensate.

I don't know why I felt so pressured to get my B.A. in only 4 years. Nobody in my DCO interviews ever asked "How long did it take for you to graduate from college?" I should have stuck around campus a few more semesters and kept retaking courses with bad grades until I had a 3.X (where X equals the magical secret squirrel number painted on the wall in Millington).

funny you mention how no one asked you how long it took you to get your BA, I interviewed a kid once who had had a GPA just over 2 maybe closer to 2.5 I said he GPA was low and he had low chance of getting selected, he said but I earned a 4 year BA in 3 years won't that help? needless to say he never did get picked up.

Toastrules

Thanks for all your tips and this is all super entertaining to read...

Yeah there's one thing I do want to mention and that my goal is to NOT do Nuke. I have done research on how much work Nukes do, what time on the subs are like, and that is most DEFINITELY not the life for me. I'm done with school, I don't want to go back for another 18 months. Whatever amount of money they throw at me isn't worth it. What I usually say is this: "If I was joining the Navy for the money, I'd just go commercial." I want the navy for the travelling, the experience, and the discipline that they can bring into my life to set me straight.

This is a brilliant advertisement for being in Aviation. The above activities seem so horrific and mind numbing :)

I dont even know what Aviation does really, I just know they mess with planes. Would that be a better fit? I'm becoming disillusioned with IW more and more even though that was my first goal.

Now in regards to everyone else, my main question is yes-- which job. I talked with my recruiter and he actually didnt know much between the jobs of Intel and SWO. He said that was a question for the general recruiter, which I could talk to after I was done with exams (in about 3 days) and my OAR (which I'm still trying to figure out when to take, since I only have so many chances).

Also, in the meanwhile I just recently landed a pretty decent job at a commercial company until I can get this package in. I'll admit, all of my friends have tried to talk me into dropping the Navy idea and sticking with commercial, and seeing my pay (more than double that of an O-1) it's tempting, but I still feel that I would be missing the discipline and experience that the U.S. Military can provide. Nevertheless, it is an 8-5 job, and since I took it, I'm not entirely sure how I'll still be able to take OARs and do MEPS or do any of these things, which worries me in a sense that I'll trap myself out of NOT joining the Navy.

I suppose I should take this one step at a time. I'll find time to study and take the OAR, then use up a vacation day in order to actually take the test, unless they can schedule me for a weekend. But I'm also skewed at the issue if IW is something I really want to do, or do something more worthwhile such as SWO (which a lot say is hell) or Aviation (which I have absolutely no idea about and didnt' even cross my mind until reading these comments).

I think you are both underestimating the "officer" portion of the IW job, as well as overestimating the same in other URL communities. As an IW guy, you will not be doing heroic behind the scenes technical IW things so much as you will be managing a division of young (and old) sailors. The navy doesn't need you to crunch code all day behind a computer, but they do need someone to write evals/awards, deliver a good brief to a room of much more senior officers, and of course stand duty. Much beyond that, and you are confusing fiction for reality, at least at the entry level ENS/LTJG realm

This is really the quote that like... "broke" me. You are probably very right, and I probably am having an almost fictional view of these jobs, which is a massive issue if it's something I want to pursue for 20 years. I don't want to be too whiny or complainy-- but I believe you all have a good grasp of my personality. Hard working, I love coding/problem solving, and I am willing to put in work if need be (as evidenced by my GPA and technical degree and graduating 1 semester early by cramming in 18 credit hours per semester for 6 semesters). Am I misinterpreting the branches of the Navy, and which branches then should I focus on?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I think you need to ask yourself why you are applying to join the United States Navy. Go re-read your motivational statement. Does it still ring true to you? Or, do you need to revise it so it matches your true intent? (If you haven't written it yet, now's a fantastic time to write it.)

P.S. Take this weekend to write a no-kidding motivational for your next 4 years of life. Not 20; just 4. Don't write it for an audience - write it for yourself. Consider all the options, and write your ideal path. Does it even have the Navy/military in it? If not, that's ok. At least you know now and not 4 years from now.

Last edited:

zack13usa

Nevertheless, it is an 8-5 job, and since I took it, I'm not entirely sure how I'll still be able to take OARs and do MEPS or do any of these things, which worries me in a sense that I'll trap myself out of NOT joining the Navy.
I have an 8-5 job too, there wasn't any conflict or problems managing my time to take my OAR and do MEPS..You can talk to your recruiter if this is going to be an issue, they can always write a letter to your manager asking them to excuse you for few hours

I misinterpreting the branches of the Navy, and which branches then should I focus on?.
Cyber Warfare

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I have an 8-5 job too, there wasn't any conflict or problems managing my time to take my OAR and do MEPS..You can talk to your recruiter if this is going to be an issue, they can always write a letter to your manager asking them to excuse you for few hours

Cyber Warfare

yep, I had many guys that had an 8-5 job get MEPS and the OAR done so it is possible.

CWE requires a degree from a specific school, I think that goes against what he is thinking of not continuing with school at this point.

exNavyOffRec

I want the navy for the travelling, the experience, and the discipline that they can bring into my life to set me straight.

There is what you want to join the USN for and then what you want to do in the USN. What you want to join the USN for screams SWO, IDC may or may not do much travelling I know an IDC officer that never deployed, I know one that deployed but not where you would take a vacation to, and I know ones that saw some great places.

Derek0812

IW officer here...figured I'd give my two cents. I'm actually typing this response while attending IWBC school in Pensacola, Fl. There are (4) former SWOs in my IWBC class and they are all Lat transfers. During introductions, they all stated how happy they were to have transferred into IW. Apparently, SWO life (at sea responsibilities, etc) was difficult for them and they recognized early on that they should've gone IDC from the get go...instead of seeking designator with best chance at gaining a commission. I understand that these are just a few individuals, but it is still worth noting. As someone else mentioned, lateral transfers are difficult to achieve…..Especially for IW. So, you want to think long and hard about what you're looking to achieve as a Naval officer. If your ultimate goal is to receive a commission as a naval officer, and SWO gives you the best shot at that (based on GPA, etc)....great- go for it....but know that lat transfers aren't guaranteed and you should be prepared to do the best job possible as a SWO while serving in the USN.

zack13usa

IW officer here...figured I'd give my two cents. I'm actually typing this response while attending IWBC school in Pensacola, Fl. There are (4) former SWOs in my IWBC class and they are all Lat transfers. During introductions, they all stated how happy they were to have transferred into IW. Apparently, SWO life (at sea responsibilities, etc) was difficult for them and they recognized early on that they should've gone IDC from the get go...instead of seeking designator with best chance at gaining a commission. I understand that these are just a few individuals, but it is still worth noting. As someone else mentioned, lateral transfers are difficult to achieve…..Especially for IW. So, you want to think long and hard about what you're looking to achieve as a Naval officer. If your ultimate goal is to receive a commission as a naval officer, and SWO gives you the best shot at that (based on GPA, etc)....great- go for it....but know that lat transfers aren't guaranteed and you should be prepared to do the best job possible as a SWO while serving in the USN.
Interesting, glad to hear from someone at the live events... quick questions; do you get to use your own computer in Pensacola and who provides Internet access?
And...how much free time do you get usually during weekdays?

Derek0812

Interesting, glad to hear from someone at the live events... quick questions; do you get to use your own computer in Pensacola and who provides Internet access?
And...how much free time do you get usually during weekdays?

I brought my laptop and iPad. Students stay at the Gateway Inn and Suites on NAS Pensacola. Suites have kitchens and washer/dryer. Wireless internet is provided for free.

Weekdays start around 0730 and we've been out by 1530 everyday so far.....so free time starts once you are released for the day.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

There are many that would like to go IDC from the start but really don't have a chance, I always asked the applicant what their number one goal was and went from their, but we had several who wanted some tiny designator who really didn't fit what that designator was looking for who later came back and wanted to try for anything to be an officer.

Were any of those guys you are in school with from NROTC or USNA? they may have not had a choice.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
This is a brilliant advertisement for being in Aviation. The above activities seem so horrific and mind numbing :)

It is brilliant advertizing for being in Aviation. It is also, however, more than a little misleading. If there is one thing that is true about the IW community and what the average JO does on a daily basis it's this: there is no one thing a JO does on a daily basis.

The multiplicity of locations, billets, and command focus makes it hard to nail down what to expect...you may very well up end with a highly technical position...or you may end up doing majority DIVO work.

And let's be honest, outside of the cockpit, those requirements also sound a great deal like the daily grind on an Aviation JO, too.

For the OP...I've enjoyed both sides of the house. PM if you want to chat further about IW.

Cheers!