• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Girlfriend and flight school

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgpass

Hey.
I went through the exact same thing. I went to Corpus for Primary and took my girlfriend of 2 years with me. I am in Milton now, but it was definitely the right decision for ME, for many reasons. It was really nice coming home to her everyday instead of a bunch of dudes. She was very understanding and supportive of what i was doing as well. As far as being a distraction, dont let her become a distraction. Tell her upfront that you are going to be very busy with flight school. At the same time, dont think you can just ignore her completely. There has to be a balance. I am so gratefull that she was there with me. You need to have plenty of down time anyway. It really helped far more than it hurt. I say go for it. That one day that you have a bad flight or something you will feel so much better knowing what is waiting for you at home. Its worth any heartache that may come along with the relationship. Good luck.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
...That one day that you have a bad flight or something you will feel so much better knowing what is waiting for you at home. Its worth any heartache that may come along with the relationship. Good luck.

Hey, good idea! That would have been great at OCS. I'll be sure to bring my girl up to Quantico next time through OCS. You think they'd let her stay in the wall locker with a book and a flashlight for entertainment?

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Hey.
It was really nice coming home to her everyday instead of a bunch of dudes. She was very understanding and supportive of what i was doing as well. As far as being a distraction, dont let her become a distraction. Tell her upfront that you are going to be very busy with flight school.

Actually, my GF in flight school was my best study partner. She was easier to study with. She would quizz me on EP's and some basic procedures. For more technical stuff I would go study with guys I was in stage with. Even so, she was not only supportive, but instrumental in helping me.

Even so, I will say, "To each their own." A guy who is against relationships probably would not want a GF during flight school. But one would think that is obvious.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Hey, good idea! That would have been great at OCS. I'll be sure to bring my girl up to Quantico next time through OCS. You think they'd let her stay in the wall locker with a book and a flashlight for entertainment?

Sure, but would she pass inspection?

snake020

Contributor
Sorry to get off subject and cannot help out in this thread, but I still need to know, are there port visits to Brazil?

Dunno, but if you're sneaky like me you can find these FAO/embassy prep programs. I'm leaving TDY to Rio de Janeiro next week for 1 month where my only duty is to get to know the language and culture.

It's rough duty going from the pleasant subzero Alaska temps and polar bear sized eskimo women to horrid 80 degrees sunny, summertime, and gorgeous women, but it builds character.

Moose13

pilot
The BOX

As this girl friend bull**** is watering my eye. Grab life by the balls dudes and tell them all that you will be back after you get some salt up your noses, cross the equator a few times, conquer a few countries, create some bar stories, defend democracy, and spend some time in NORWAY!!! Always, always think out of the box before you climb into the box!!!!!

Chicks in NORWAY rock, US chicks are to dammed spoiled!!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As this girl friend bull**** is watering my eye. Grab life by the balls dudes and tell them all that you will be back after you get some salt up your noses, cross the equator a few times, conquer a few countries, create some bar stories, defend democracy, and spend some time in NORWAY!!! Always, always think out of the box before you climb into the box!!!!!

Nice to see that someone "gets" it. :D

Brett

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor

Wow, best 5th post ever. :D

zelda

Nomad
Ok i need to get this off my chest because its driving me bat sh1t. Im in API right now and will be heading to corpus soon. Ive been dating my girlfriend for over 4 years now (since the beginning of college). She is currently studying law at Pitt and we've been looking into her moving down with me in corpus this summer aprrox. from may to mid august during her summer break. Not only will it be a good time for us to be together/take a break from the long distance and what not, but she is interested in international law ideally with spanish speaking nations (with the large pop. of hispanics, she has found some interesting jobs and internships). Besides some moral hesitations I have, I really feel that this needs to happen for our relationship to continue and grow. As I said, weve been together a looong time so this is certainly not a whim or something Im taking lightly.

My bf and I are in a similar situation. Been together for 6 years. I've been focusing on my career, so we've spent a good portion of those years living apart. Before he joined the Navy, our jobs were still in separate states, but he had some flexibility in his, so he'd come out to California for the summers.

When he went through Pcola, CC, and then Milton, typically for 3-6 months at a time, I asked him if it would be ok if I didn't come along. As much as the long-distance sucked, it definitely made the weekends/weeks that we spent together that much meaningful. We also used the time apart to focus on ourselves, our jobs, and even set goals for ourselves to meet for the next time we saw each other - typically who could get in better shape over the next 2-3 weeks. :p

Anyways, to not make this too long, we are now living together now that he's in RAG. I was fortunate enough to land a position with a start-up firm that let's me telecommute. I agree with you that there does come a time where you figure it just makes sense to finally be living together. It sounds like your girlfriend is definitely researching possibilities for herself for work/career, which will help tremendously. If the timing works, I'd say go for it! She'd have her internship to keep her busy and her mind stimulated and won't feel like she's not moving forward with her career. You'll obviously be busy in API, but it'll be nice to see how you guys work together on a daily basis. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.