• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janoman

I had this site recommended to me by my cousin who is a Captain in the USMC and I must say that I am very impressed. Every topic is very informative and you guys really know what you are talking about.

But onto the topic at hand. I am just entering college but plan on going BDCP as soon as I can. What I would like is some advice on a good workout routine to get me prepared for it. I know the saying goes that the workout depends on the person, but I am just looking for suggestions. I have a really high metabolism so I have been wiry all my life so I am looking for something that will help me bulk up. I've been taking marital arts for a few years so I'm in shape endurance wise, as well as running as often as I can and lifting with free weights. I've never taken any supplements so I could use some advice on what is good/healthy and what to stay away from. Any advice is welcome, as well as opinions.

-Don't lose the drive.

Shepherd

Does marital arts involve vow-speaking and aisle-walking kata? Kidding. The best workout I've experienced is Stew Smith's 12 week Navy Seal Workout book. It’s a totally calisthenics workout that will really challenge your fitness and prepare you for military training. I have no experience with any supplements.

perchul

Disclaimer-I will have bias advice towards weighlifting
First off join a gym, and your choice of gym is important. Pick a gym that has a friendly staff the best way to figure this out is by seeing whether they want to show you around and tell you alot about their gym...if they just let you loose and wonder on your own they the staff either thinks your not worth their time or they just don't like what they do.

Secondly if you've never really weightlifted before make sure your not concerned by the amount of weight, it really doesn't matter just do excercises that you have to put every ounce of energy into without losing control. Don't use any supplements they'll only become a crutch, but protein powder shouldn't be viewed as a supplement because you will need to consume larger amount of protein to build new muscle and it will just be difficult to consume enough protein from normal food sources.

While this may become a point of contention with many I say do not get a work out partner because they will only fail you, you shouldn't rely on having someone to work out with there will always be people at the gym to ask for spots from and its a great way to make new friends. There really is alot to the topic of weightlifting and I like to think I know quite a bit about it so feel free to message me anytime, another good person on this forum for advice on weightlifting is jaerose and he'll wind up being more helpful then you want him to be, you may need to ask him to shutup at some point...good luck with that.

jaerose

Ha! Perchul, I don't know if you meant to be funny, but I thought it was...also, thanks for the compliment. I agree with your advice. Having a workout partner depends on your personal level of motivation.

Janoman, he's right...I do tend to be long-winded, so if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me and I'll answer the best that I can, or at least try to refer you to someone who can =) That SEAL book is pretty cool...and I hear you can get a .pdf copy of it off of KAZAA. Yeah, I heard that, but you'll be screwing someone out of royalty checks.

JR

reapergm

Good tip on the protein. Im a really thin kid. Never took protein during college... and never gained weight. A year ago I started taking a good amount and gained alot of weight, lean muscle. Dont overdue anything. Form is alot more important than weight. Youll start lower, but build alot faster. Check out some weight lifting magazines, they have some useful tips. (Although some Im sure are geared towards juiceheads). Some people who are looking to build mass do not do any cardio, they swear against it. If your going into the military, its pretty mucn a necessity (with maybe the exception of AF ;-) ). So I would still do cardio, even if its just 3 days a week. It will help alot. Stay away from Andro if youre applying to the military, someone once told me it could bring your testosterone up to a level that will test you positive on a physical.

CandKyMarine

Matthew—

When I came across your first post, I have to say I was quite pleased. Someone was sharing the benefits of a great sport. However, your second post was completely out of line and hypocritical.

In your original post, you extol the virtues rowing for its impact on your weight gain. From what you claim (I have never seen you, so I cannot attest to the accuracy) it was muscle that you put on. 35 pounds, to be exact. In short, you hold on high the image of the large, buff, male rower. In your very next post, however, you slam the size of female rowers. Has it ever occurred to you that the very same physiological process that occurs in you (male) occurs in your female counterparts? Females have the ability to add muscle as well, and, oh horrors of horrors, this leads to weight gain.

Having spent almost a decade on the National Team, I can personally attest to this. I rowed as both a light and open weight during my rowing tenure. By the time I reached late college, remaining a lightweight led to extremely unhealthy – and potentially dangerous – consequences. So guess, what? I put weight on – 37 pounds to be exact. At 5’10”, a size 6 is still too big for me. All of the open weight women I rowed with were well over 150 pounds (most upwards of 170). Most were also 5’10” – 6’3” with sub 10% body fat (very low for a woman). And all could easily kick your scrawny 165 lb ass. Additionally, each was incredibly feminine. I don’t know how much international rowing experience you had, but any member of the Italian, German, or Norwegian women’s teams could be put on the cover of a fashion magazine. And, yes, they could kick your ass as well.

So, Matthew, next time you decide to hurl immature, irrational and fallacious insults, remember who you’re aiming at...and who you are. I would love to pit any of my female rowing friends (or myself for that matter) in a 1x against you. We’ll see who wins on the water… and who gets picked up by more members of the opposite sex at the bar after.

jaerose

Whoa! What happened here? Let's try to get along, kids. As a non-rower, I will agree that rowing is good for cardio (especially if your legs are sore, or something) and you get some good upper body work in as well. If you set the resistance high, it's kind of like circuit training, only all at once. Now, unfortunately I've never gotten to row on the water, but if I got a good workout on the machine at the gym, then I can only imagine the benefits of actually being on the water in a competetive environment.

BTW, taller athletic girls should weigh more...who wants to date a 5'10 bean pole? I dated a girl who was 5'9 for 3.5 years...she weighed 140-145 lbs. and played volleyball, but she actually looked very thin...didn't have a lot of muscle mass, so I can imagine any woman around that height, or taller with a decent amount of muscle mass would weigh more and still look quite feminine. I mean, Gabrielle Reece is 6'3 and 160-165 lbs. and very thin...she's also a model. Now, play nice =)

Corky

Off Topic:
Let me get this straight; someone posts not once, but twice, hideously demeaning and sophomoric comments impugning an entire group of people, female rowers. A female rower, who appears to be quite accomplished in her sport, fires back and defends herself against his attacks and you want her to “play nice”? Matthew needed a serious beat down and looks to have got one. Let him defend himself but I’m sure he’ll go run and hide.

Matthew – I went to a school with fine rowing teams and was good friends with a few of the male rowers. From what I saw, you are in the minority in your feelings toward the females. They were all very good friends and teammates who rowed together, trained together, and partied together. I guess you weren’t as lucky to row for a good team.

On Topic:
I agree with perchul 100%.

jaerose

Corky (loved you in "Life goes on"--J/K), I didn't mean for just her to play nice. Seriously, I was directing that at BOTH...you know...don't offend/insult to one and don't drag yourself down to online bickering to the other. I should have clarified. Oh, I like getting beat up by girls...it's not that bad =)

JR

CandKyMarine

“sensitivity and diversity training”? No. What you need is to learn to think before you open your mouth. You need to be sure that you can back up any trash-talking you decide to dish out with actions, and your slanderous comments with facts.

Your self-degradation is no way to “win my forgiveness” either. All you are doing is proving yourself a weak human being who is trying to hide behind an ill-attempt at humor. Belittling yourself and your masculinity does not impress a woman.

All your immature comments and puerile retorts are doing is furthering unfounded stereotypes, and making you out to sound like a fool.

1239er

Will someone please be more specific about the crunches and the pull ups? Crunches: Feet flat and elbows touch legs? Hands locked behind head/neck? Pull Ups: Overhand? Underhand? How far up? How wide grip?

I just finished college and I hope to qualify for the USMC flight school "guarantee". I have to do the pft and I want to make sure i practice correctly. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.