• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikki

Wow, this is great...grrrr. I am a big strong woman..let me back that $%^& up...lol. Anyway, I must have been sleeping through this post, because I would have been throwing elbows....hehehe

CandKyMarine

On the subject of being oversensitive: Matthew, there are lines, and you need to know where they are. Is it ok to joke and tease? Yes. Is it ok to make degrading unfounded irrational slanders? No. As for being “politically correct,” that is something I am far from. Am I asking that you refer to us as “ovary possessing people utilizing oars to locomote a water-born vessel”? No, we’re female rowers, rowing chicks, girls in boats… whatever you like. In fact, I do not even fully support Title IX. Your comment was not politically incorrect, it was bordering on harassment.

Yes, people within a community often use what can be thought of as derogatory terms in a joking or even “endearing” manner. However, you are not in a position to do so.

jaerose

Originally posted by 1239er
Will someone please be more specific about the crunches and the pull ups? Crunches: Feet flat and elbows touch legs? Hands locked behind head/neck? Pull Ups: Overhand? Underhand? How far up? How wide grip?

I just finished college and I hope to qualify for the USMC flight school "guarantee". I have to do the pft and I want to make sure i practice correctly. thanks.

Situps are right...I think your feet have to be less than 8 inches from your arse. Couldn't tell you about the pullups, since I'm a squid and all =)

JR

matthewbohman

You can do your pull-ups either way. Some people start out one way and then switch, which is fine as long as your feet do not touch the ground. Sit-ups, just fold your arms across your your stomach and then do a sit-up motion until your elbows touch the base of your thighs. You can not raise your arms up to aid in the touching of the thighs, keep them against your stomach. That's it.

kevin

what?! that's not true. the new sit up for the navy is the politically correct situp. you lie on your back with your feet on the floor (8 " from arse as jaerose said). then you simply move your elbows to your upper thigh...but your back must remain in contact with the ground at all times. as for pushups, your arms must be shoulder width apart, and your chest must remain in contact with the ground at all times. only your pelvis moves up and down. do as many as possible in the two minute time period.

jaerose

I actually think that the correct OCS situps require you to have your arms crossed and your fingers grounded (touching) and they have to be touching your clavicle. Acrossed the belly is the fleet standards and is much easier.

JR

kimphil

Originally posted by kevin
what?! that's not true. the new sit up for the navy is the politically correct situp. you lie on your back with your feet on the floor (8 " from arse as jaerose said). then you simply move your elbows to your upper thigh...but your back must remain in contact with the ground at all times. as for pushups, your arms must be shoulder width apart, and your chest must remain in contact with the ground at all times. only your pelvis moves up and down. do as many as possible in the two minute time period.

This is a Marine Corps thread, not Navy. matthewbohman is right about how to do crunches. Also, Marines don't do push ups for the PFT.

CandKyMarine

Matthew –
Thank you for your apology. I will accept it and am glad that you are mature enough to own up to your mistakes. However, as for removing my posts, I will not. They were written for a reason, and I still back everything they say. Just because you deleted something doesn’t mean it wasn’t said; the evidence can be taken away, but the action is not undone. Since you desire to be a military officer, you are going to have to become accustomed to being held to a higher standard – and called out when you are out of line. Deleting my posts would mean that what you said was ok and can just be swept under the rug. If that were the case, you wouldn’t have had to apologize in the first place.
Let them serve as a reminder to you and everyone else to think before you speak and have the ability to back up your claims.

jaerose

kimphil, I don't really think it matters what section this thread is in because good advice on getting fit is good advice and if done correctly it doesn't matter who's from what branch. If you think he's getting the wrong advice for pullups and situps, then tell him how to do it the USMC way. I was just telling him the way we have to do our situps for OCS and I couldn't imagine that Marine OCS would make it any easier on them.

JR

BTW, we could change the name of this thread to 'Throwing a Fit.'
weeping_125.gif
J/K
propeller_125.gif

kevin

so true, jaerose. and kimphil, i was kidding.....can you really imagine a long line of officer candidates slapping their pelvic regions on the ground for 2 minutes? that would be a funny site though.

kimphil

1239er,

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor and should only be used sparingly. I've been lectured to instruct you on the proper way of doing USMC pull up and crunches, so I'll repeat what I said before--matthewbohman's advice is correct.

I'll also throw in a couple of other tips for free.

1) matthewbohman is correct that you can do pull ups overhand or underhand, and you can even switch in the middle. However, switching overhand to underhand, or vice versa, tends to be a desperation move to max out, not a valid way to do pull ups. Twenty pull ups, either overhand or underhand, not both ways during a PFT, should be your goal.

2) When you visit a big city (eg New York) and you get lost, don't stop anyone on the street and ask for directions. He or she will happily give you directions. However, those directions may be right or wrong. Find an authority figure, like a policeman or transit worker. If you want advice about the PFT, go ask your OSO or candidates from your district who have been to USMC OSC. In my experience, that tends to be the best advice I've gotten. I only warn you because there's plenty of advice on this board, most of it good, but quite a bit of it is bad.

I've got to disagree with jaerose about fitness advice. I've read both Navy and Marine Corps threads that give out fitness tips. While both sides give out good advice, I find more of the advice given on the Navy side, at best neutral, at worse counterproductive. This doesn't have anything to do with the value of the advice itself, just how valuable that advice would be to help me succeed at USMC OCS.

jaerose

Again, I said GOOD advice is GOOD advice, not all advice. I realize that you're biased towards the USMC either because you're in the corps, or want to be in the corps (don't know which) and that's fine, but improving strength, muscle mass, speed and cardiovascular fitness is roughly the same for all humans (with variations due to genetics and individual body chemistry) whether they be in the Navy, USMC, Air Force, or Coast Guard.

Personally, and yes this is going to come off cocky, I KNOW that what I recommend to people on this board works because I study research and consistently keep up with new developments in excercise and nutritional science. I am confident enough in my knowledge of the subject that I would put myself on the line with anyone else on this board and guess what, I'm in the Navy. Although I'm no 'expert,' I was a Bio/Chem double major with a minor in Sports Science before I switched to Physics, so I do know what I'm talking about...and if I'm not sure about a subject I don't give advice. Now whether that makes me a 'policeman,' or 'transit worker' in this area I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I've got a good map.

My tip for you: lose the chip on your shoulder because it's going to do more harm than good. Plus, you might just max out on your pullups with that extra weight gone =) Kimphil's way isn't the only way, or necessarily the best way so you should open your mind and be less jaded. If you can't do that, then get some St. John's Wort (I'd say prozac, but then you'd be DQ'd).

JR

BTW, the previous post wasn't a lecture (although this one could be)...just a suggestion to put up, or shut up and do something more constructive than tear people down to your level. Soap box removed...have a great NAVY day!

perchul

how its a waste of effort, just find the way your most comfortable with and practice it and I think adding weight is a great way of doing. The whole NY analagy is lame, being from brooklyn and have a father who was NYPD I can tell you that there are plenty of normal NY'ers who know the lay of the land better then some cops. However I know the point is your OSO has the best info, but you gotta already know that and it shouldn't have to be said, you posted on this board for peripheral information and you got some good stuff from both sides. As for the situps, dude you need to be shown how to do them its just one of those things thats hard to describe. If you have strong abdominals from good training it won't matter anyway....train well, train hard. I'm not making an attack on Kimphil but there are few people who I would go to for training advice and one of them is Jaerose...its not that I disagree with what Kimphil says about Navy standard but my point is Jaerose didn't learn how to train through the Navy.

kimphil

Originally posted by jaerose
Again, I said GOOD advice is GOOD advice, not all advice. I realize that you're biased towards the USMC either because you're in the corps, or want to be in the corps (don't know which) and that's fine, but improving strength, muscle mass, speed and cardiovascular fitness is roughly the same for all humans (with variations due to genetics and individual body chemistry) whether they be in the Navy, USMC, Air Force, or Coast Guard.

Personally, and yes this is going to come off cocky, I KNOW that what I recommend to people on this board works because I study research and consistently keep up with new developments in excercise and nutritional science. I am confident enough in my knowledge of the subject that I would put myself on the line with anyone else on this board and guess what, I'm in the Navy. Although I'm no 'expert,' I was a Bio/Chem double major with a minor in Sports Science before I switched to Physics, so I do know what I'm talking about...and if I'm not sure about a subject I don't give advice. Now whether that makes me a 'policeman,' or 'transit worker' in this area I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I've got a good map.

My tip for you: lose the chip on your shoulder because it's going to do more harm than good. Plus, you might just max out on your pullups with that extra weight gone =) Kimphil's way isn't the only way, or necessarily the best way so you should open your mind and be less jaded. If you can't do that, then get some St. John's Wort (I'd say prozac, but then you'd be DQ'd).

JR

BTW, the previous post wasn't a lecture (although this one could be)...just a suggestion to put up, or shut up and do something more constructive than tear people down to your level. Soap box removed...have a great NAVY day!

JR,

To my credit, I believe my post was quite diplomatic. If you want to descend to personal insults, I'm more than happy to return the favor.

Amazingly, even with this chip on my shoulder, I've maxed out on my pull ups and crunches. I've done that without drinking shark piss (ie supplements) or seeing the inside of a gym in five months. A $20 pull-up bar and some discipline is more effective than a gym any day. Of course, reading JRs posts (he's more than happy to share his "expertise") I would think I was a total ****bag for not following his GOOD advice.

Guess what JR, I'm not even going to argue with the science you go to length to defend. I don't think we can sit through another diatribe about your qualifications without slitting our wrists.

The advice I see on the navy side seems targeted more for beauty contests, ie "how do I get rid of this beer gut" (my answer, put down the can of beast and exercise). Or, "how do I bulk up?" "what shark piss should I take?" JR (and others) are more than willing to share their "expertise" on those subjects. Here's what's wrong with that advice.

Bulking up is not a good strategy for USMC OCS. I'm not sure about navy OCS (after we sit through the obligatory description about his qualifications, I'm sure JR will be happy to tell us), but adding a lot of muscle mass is a problem for USMC OCS for two reasons.

(1) Additional mass will slow your run time. I suspect in the 1.5mi navy PRT that it's less of a factor because of the shorter distance (and not the quality of the candidates) but in the 3.0mi PFT you will feel the extra weight. Since I have maxed out on pull ups I use the additional time to work on my run instead of the gym.

(2) All of that extra upper body strength is a waste at USMC OCS. The PT, humps, etc. at OCS are brutal. It won't help in what candidates seem to hate the most (humping). Every candidate that I've talked to that has been to USMC OCS has lost weight. Fat, muscle, USMC OCS doesn't discriminate. If you have a lot of upper body mass (like JR if his pictures are current) you'll piss it away and all that hard work in the gym will be a waste.

I'll defer to JRs sports science "expertise." I don't necessarily disagree with any of his advice. From the size of his pythons he may even know what he's talking about. However, I wouldn't want to show up in Quantico looking like him. That's just an invitation to struggle.

JRs routine may be the perfect for the navy's OCS. I don't know. However, "GOOD" advice and "GOOD" advice for you and me are two different things.

My previous post wasn't an attack on the Navy, its OCS or the quality of its candidates. I read the running tips whether they're on the Navy or USMC side and I find them helpful. From my experience, however, maxing out on pull-ups isn't hard and the tips to improve upper body strength tends to be overkill. And I see a lot of tips on improving upper body strength on the Navy side. Is this advice wrong? Not necessarily, but is it useful to get into USMC OCS or succeed their? I don't think so.

PS--perchul, I got the tip about asking a policeman (I threw in the transit worker) from a tourist guidebook. I've also have lived in the Northeast for over 10 years, including some time in NYC. I've given directions more than once to tourists, only to realize it was wrong later. I've also recieved poor directions more than once (New Yorkers tend to know how to get from point A to B, they just can't tell you how). Again, ask a cop!

Status
Not open for further replies.