• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting dropped from TBS

motiv8r

Dude if you haven't gone through OCS yet I wouldn't be worried about TBS. Take things one step at a time.

riley

candidatex,

can you carry a conversation? can you talk in complete sentences? Do you scare people away? Do you have friends? If you answer "no" to any of the above, you probably fall under the category of socially retarded.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
... Do you scare people away? ....If you answer "no" to any of the above, you probably fall under the category of socially retarded.

wait a minute, I don't scare away people, well too often...and I made it through TBS just fine...

I must say though that he isn't instilling much confidence in us with the amount of selfdoubt right now...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Boy there are some paranoid, no self-confidence-having people here. I've never seen so many 'how many get dropped', or 'do I have a chance' type questions anywhere. You'll never know if you can do something till you try. So stop worrying about percentages and just do it. If you succeed, it doesn't matter who didn't. If you fail, at least you can say you tried. Welcome to life.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Boy there are some paranoid, no self-confidence-having people here. I've never seen so many 'how many get dropped', or 'do I have a chance' type questions anywhere. You'll never know if you can do something till you try. So stop worrying about percentages and just do it. If you succeed, it doesn't matter who didn't. If you fail, at least you can say you tried. Welcome to life.

Great advice, tried to add to your rep but but somehow AW won't let me...

markvanes

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am one of those guys that hates to fail. Really hates to fail. So I guess I stay up at night thinking about pointless things. And I can confidently say "yes" to the above questions. As to the paranoid comment, that is what this forum is for, to ask questions. Leadership is 50% of the grade at OCS, and it is the very definition of what it means to be an officer. I think we should talk about it a little more, don't you? This is a valid question. I have read posts over on marineocs.com that asked, "should I practice cleaning techniques for the M16A2 before shipping out?" and the like. My question is this: Are there really guys like that that get sent to OCS/TBS? That scare people away and can't carry a conversation? Obviously they should get the boot, and if those are the only guys that do, I have nothing to worry about.

motiv8r

There are definitely candidates who make you wonder what the hell the OSO was thinking when you meet them during week one. Some of them will be dropped, others will rally hard, find the fire inside and become good leaders and officers. The same way that some of the guys who seem perfect during the first few weeks will turn out to be pieces of s*** and get dropped. That is what OCS is there for. It is a very thorough and well-refined process. If you are that worried about not making the cut, think about this: would you rather a) go there, give 100%, and get dropped, or b) spend the rest of your life wondering if you could have completed OCS?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am one of those guys that hates to fail. Really hates to fail. So I guess I stay up at night thinking about pointless things. And I can confidently say "yes" to the above questions. As to the paranoid comment, that is what this forum is for, to ask questions. Leadership is 50% of the grade at OCS, and it is the very definition of what it means to be an officer. I think we should talk about it a little more, don't you? This is a valid question. I have read posts over on marineocs.com that asked, "should I practice cleaning techniques for the M16A2 before shipping out?" and the like. My question is this: Are there really guys like that that get sent to OCS/TBS? That scare people away and can't carry a conversation? Obviously they should get the boot, and if those are the only guys that do, I have nothing to worry about.

The leadership thing is not something that you can spend a lot of time practicing ahead of time and even while you are there you can't do much to work on it, all you can do is make decisions and be willing to accept critiques from those around you. People get booted for leadership for many different reasons and noone on here can possibly point out them all...easiest answer, don't worry about it...if you suck then there isn't too much help we can give you and if you don't then you shouldn't worry about it...

Oh and lack of selfconfidence is something that will drop your leadership score as well so watch out for that...

Crowbar

None
There is entirely too much effort being put into worrying about failing for leadership. If you have at least one person in your life who values your opinion and are not constantly screwing your buddies to help yourself out, you probably won't get kicked out of TBS for leadership. The people who get canned from TBS for leadership really make you question your faith in humanity, that's how bad they are. When you get a brief at TBS that says "Don't do THIS" then don't do THAT.

TBS is just a big pain in the ass. No amount of thinking about it will make it better. Go enjoy life/college until it's time to start your sentence. It's football season!

theduke

yep.

and if you are gonna worry about the odds, well, i'd take the TBS odds to Vegas.

i mean, if you are exceptionally dicked up, there's a decent chance you'll have problems at TBS, but the thing is that almost all of the LTs who get to TBS have the raw materials to succeed there.

There will be a small handful who don't need to be there, and a few more mediocre people, but by and large, you will constantly be impressed by who you're surrounded by.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
CandidateX-
Self Confidence at OCS and TBS is huge. I would say the underlying theme in all the candidates we dropped is lack of confidence. "I can't do this" or "I'm going to mess up" will eat you alive at OCS. I don't understand why you are worried about being dropped from TBS, when OCS- whose sole purpose in life is to drop you- isn't riding as heavily on your mind.
Reading through your posts, you ask alot of questions to try and determine your odds of success at OCS, (i.e. Do athletes make it through/ what percentage make it). You are trying to make yourself feel better about the challenge by gathering statistics. You're not going to find much relief looking for numbers, it's just more junk to put in your head and give you reason to doubt yourself . Don't worry about whether you played sports or not, don't worry about whether you are a public speaker or not and don't think you will mess up- just go and do your best. At OCS you will be individually evaluated, and passed or failed on your performance alone. When you pass or fail it will be because of your performance, not because you are a public speaker or a high school athlete or because 90% of candidates with family in Walla Walla pass, it will be because you either performed or you did not. That being said, spend more time PTing, learning general orders, and relaxing, and less time spazzing out about obscure statistics. Like Crowbar said- it's football season!

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
The best reason not to worry about failing at OCS is that OCS is set up in such a way that you will fail, at some point, and probably multiple times. You will lose count of your platoon, lose some vital piece of gear, screw up drill commands causing 50 candidates to trip over their own feet, forget how to address the staff, fail a test, fail a billet, or completely lose track of what is going on while you're standing in front of a formation with every Sergeant Instructor in your company yelling at you. OCS isn't designed so that you can only pass it if you're locked on at training day 1 and you know how to do everything perfectly. A lot of OCS is really about how well you can handle failure and go from screwing up to learning from your mistakes. How well you do that depends on your confidence. Don't beat yourself up too much over whether you can do it before you go. Just be ready to learn and don't beat yourself up too much over your mistakes when you do make them.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
I think once you realize OCS is designed to make you fall flat on your ass then thats when you can do your best because you are expecting the worse, when often times you get something not so bad. You have to make the best out it. Like your first inspection. Ahhh good times.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
There are just so many digs that could be made here...:D
I know a guy who is hitting up one of those digs ... told him otherwise, but he wont listen. And she is nothing to write home about either ... especially with the risk of blowing his career as a Marine.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I know a guy who is hitting up one of those digs ... told him otherwise, but he wont listen. And she is nothing to write home about either ... especially with the risk of blowing his career as a Marine.

Seems a shame that someone would risk ones career for something so stupid...