• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

G-LOC Question

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
To leave the more thorough explanations to the docs, taller, leaner types typically do not withstand G's as well as shorter, stockier builds, a result of the blood having less distance to travel and more mass with which to constrict its movement.

Feel free to expound / correct.

Yup, what he (and others) said. Pulling Gs puts a pressure overload on the heart; train accordingly with weights, tossing in some cardio to increase your ability to tolerate repeated bouts.

pjxc415

pilot
The ideal body for pulling Gs is a one-legged jacked midget who smokes and eats fast food. Straight from the horses mouth at CFET.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Intestingly my entire CFET class had the same resting g tolerance of 4.5....it was seriously +/- 0.1 G between us. There were skinny (me), stocky and short (Marine), a fat kid, etc....so no real size/weight correlation there.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
The runners tend to have alot more trouble if they are scrawny. The more bulky guys can get through most of the G's on leg straining alone or at least thats how it is for me. At CFET my resting was 5.5. Short females also seem to have a high resting g.

Njc242

To leave the more thorough explanations to the docs, taller, leaner types typically do not withstand G's

I am 6'5 190 lbs, I was on Kingda Ka the other day (from six flags) and i started to get tunnel vision, but right when everything was about to go black it came back, I blame it on me holding my breath hahah

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
This may belong in the stupid (ignorant) questions thread but is G-LOC similar to the feeling one gets when getting a head rush from getting up too quickly? I've noticed flexing my abs makes the rush go away almost immediately.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This may belong in the stupid (ignorant) questions thread but is G-LOC similar to the feeling one gets when getting a head rush from getting up too quickly? I've noticed flexing my abs makes the rush go away almost immediately.

No. GLOC happens when the blood pressure in your head drops due to G-onset. It feels like passing out. Light-headed, things go gray, things go dark.

But go flex your abs some more if it makes you feel better, Slider.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No. GLOC happens when the blood pressure in your head drops due to G-onset. It feels like passing out. Light-headed, things go gray, things go dark.

But go flex your abs some more if it makes you feel better, Slider.

Well, technically the same thing is happening, just not to the extreme of GLOC. So getting up fast is like the initial stage of G onset. I know I've totally lost vision in the aircraft but been fully alert and awake (thanks to a Mid), similar to the way I've been when sick and getting up from the couch too quick.

And take note, Mids...when the pilot you're flying w/ says to STOP pulling, don't pull harder.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Well, technically the same thing is happening, just not to the extreme of GLOC. So getting up fast is like the initial stage of G onset. I know I've totally lost vision in the aircraft but been fully alert and awake (thanks to a Mid), similar to the way I've been when sick and getting up from the couch too quick.

And take note, Mids...when the pilot you're flying w/ says to STOP pulling, don't pull harder.

God only knows what happens with the females they are with and their sexual advances... :eek:

Oh, right. It usually ends up in a news article with us bashing Academy mids..... :D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Perhaps our tolerance was enhanced by the couple of weeks of solid drinking following the completion of primary...