• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

G-LOC Question

donmagicjuan

Don't. Bite. Your friends!
pilot
No, now it's generally a requirement to start the tailhook syllabus. Unless your number comes up for SERE in the pool, I think that's a thing of the past.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't know if its still true but CFET is much harder than the airplane even though its the same number of G's. It just feels different. Are they still sending sickly children straight out of SERE to the 'fuge? That was a ball buster.

They explained to us that the difference was in the angle at which the G's are loaded onto you in the fuge vs. a seat of an actual aircraft. The onset is pretty brutal in the fuge too, though I suppose that could happen in the jet as well. As donjuan said, you go to CFET pretty much as soon as you check into TW-1 or TW-2 nowadays. We checked in on a monday, and were on a flight out to Lemoore on tues IIRC

hornsfan

happy to be here
pilot
They explained to us that the difference was in the angle at which the G's are loaded onto you in the fuge vs. a seat of an actual aircraft.

The way it was explained to me was that alpha makes the difference. Any time you pull Gs, becuase of the angle of attack the Gs are hitting you at something slightly off the z-axis. So if you get the clownjet to max corner speed at pull 7.33, youre actually getting something slightly less than 7.33 from head to toe. The centrifuge on the other hand is a full 7.5 Gz.

donmagicjuan

pilot
Wow that makes a heck of a lot of sense. I'm surprised I'd never heard that or thought of it before.

EDIT: Then again, doesn't the accelerometer in the plane strictly measure Gs in the z-axis? Seems to me the higher total acceleration associated with a high alpha would have to be computed from a vector sum of the x- and z-axes.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The way it was explained to me was that alpha makes the difference. Any time you pull Gs, becuase of the angle of attack the Gs are hitting you at something slightly off the z-axis. So if you get the clownjet to max corner speed at pull 7.33, youre actually getting something slightly less than 7.33 from head to toe. The centrifuge on the other hand is a full 7.5 Gz.

Yep they told us the same, and I agree, it makes sense

jtmedli

pilot
Pretty sure the average fat f*** American riding a rollercoaster would die of a heart attack if rollercoasters exceeded the 2-3G range

I was just about to say how an average rollercoaster is pretty tame compared acro in a plane. 2.5G's is about the most the average american could probably pull without yacking their lunch so I doubt the rollercoaster pulls any more than 2 in the z-axis.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was just about to say how an average rollercoaster is pretty tame compared acro in a plane. 2.5G's is about the most the average american could probably pull without yacking their lunch so I doubt the rollercoaster pulls any more than 2 in the z-axis.

I never understood yakking with G's. Not that I've ever even been airsick, but wouldn't logic dictate that G's keep your lunch DOWN?? Well, Gz anyway...

donmagicjuan

pilot
malli9 said:
Okay, so what percent of people who take this test against the G's are not able to maintain consciousness at all?
And what is the reason they are not able to withstand the G's no matter what?
CFET staff says 1 in 9 historically. Most cases stem from a poor straining technique. And most of those lucky individuals are able to adjust their methods, repeat the ride and ultimately pass.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
I had trouble at CFET. I ran marathons in college and averaged running 35 miles a week. My resting blood pressure was 90/50. They sent me home for two months saying "eat more, lift more, and run less". I did all of that (gained 5 lbs and got my BP up to 115/60) and I try again next week, so we'll see how that goes.

MB, I have one, so I guess I count twice!

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Marathons. Plural. Seriously, the first guy who ran one died. Why do people want to copy him?

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I had trouble at CFET. I ran marathons in college and averaged running 35 miles a week. My resting blood pressure was 90/50. They sent me home for two months saying "eat more, lift more, and run less". I did all of that (gained 5 lbs and got my BP up to 115/60) and I try again next week, so we'll see how that goes.

90/50? dear god.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor

In general, most people who are marathon runners do poorly at CFET...not because they aren't in shape; rather it is because they are in the wrong kind of shape.

Pulling Gs and/or CFET (as well as strength training) = a 'pressure' overload on the cardiovascular system. You are training your fast twitch muscle fibers to do their thing via the short duration/high intensity demands being placed upon them.

Marathons = a 'volume' overload on the cv system due to the massive amounts of blood being forced through your system. In other words, you sorta detuned your ability to perform the contractions and reactions necessary to pull Gs. You are de-training your fast twitch fibers by not training them...since you are running so much.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In general, most people who are marathon runners do poorly at CFET...not because they aren't in shape; rather it is because they are in the wrong kind of shape.

Pulling Gs and/or CFET (as well as strength training) = a 'pressure' overload on the cardiovascular system. You are training your fast twitch muscle fibers to do their thing via the short duration/high intensity demands being placed upon them.

Marathons = a 'volume' overload on the cv system due to the massive amounts of blood being forced through your system. In other words, you sorta detuned your ability to perform the contractions and reactions necessary to pull Gs. You are de-training your fast twitch fibers by not training them...since you are running so much.

There was a mishap awhile back with a Air Force F-16 pilot who was addicted to running long distances and adverse to lifting weights. After being advised he needed to lift wieghts and cut back on running, he ignored the wise counsel and continued to run liek a demon. After he turned his F-16 into a lawn dart, the mishap board concluded it was G-LOC and that he had stacked the deck against himself.

Here's what Canadians said a few years back although they were somewhat inconclusive and recommended more study (maybe guys in white labcoats looking for more work though).