• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

G-LOC Question

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some fail. They are called pussies.

I had trouble at CFET. I ran marathons in college and averaged running 35 miles a week. My resting blood pressure was 90/50. They sent me home for two months saying "eat more, lift more, and run less". I did all of that (gained 5 lbs and got my BP up to 115/60) and I try again next week, so we'll see how that goes.

MB, I have one, so I guess I count twice!

Now, that's a comeback! +1

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I went straight to it and never logged in. Maybe you are using a disreputable IP?

OH gosh I hope not!:confused:

This is the text it gives me "Your authentication to this fulltext delivery has expired. Please go back and try again by logging back into the site and requesting the document."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OH gosh I hope not!:confused:

This is the text it gives me "Your authentication to this fulltext delivery has expired. Please go back and try again by logging back into the site and requesting the document."

Seems like it gives you one look and then wants you to pay to see it again. Here's a better overview of history of G-LOC and what we know about it and how to forestall it.

And then there's Steve...

jtmedli

pilot
I never understood yakking with G's. Not that I've ever even been airsick, but wouldn't logic dictate that G's keep your lunch DOWN?? Well, Gz anyway...

Yea it'll keep it down...until you unload and then here comes lunch. I've gotten airsick before and it didn't hit me doing the acro. It hit me like a brick house on short final. I guess the sudden speed change or a/c attitude got me. I got over it, just like everyone else does/has.

I had trouble at CFET. I ran marathons in college and averaged running 35 miles a week. My resting blood pressure was 90/50. They sent me home for two months saying "eat more, lift more, and run less". I did all of that (gained 5 lbs and got my BP up to 115/60) and I try again next week, so we'll see how that goes.

MB, I have one, so I guess I count twice!

haha Touche' Master bates!!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never understood yakking with G's. Not that I've ever even been airsick, but wouldn't logic dictate that G's keep your lunch DOWN?? Well, Gz anyway...

Yea it'll keep it down...until you unload and then here comes lunch. I've gotten airsick before and it didn't hit me doing the acro. It hit me like a brick house on short final. I guess the sudden speed change or a/c attitude got me. I got over it, just like everyone else does/has.

So, until you master the experience and get your sealegs, stick to bananas prior to flight. Here's why.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
So, until you master the experience and get your sealegs, stick to bananas prior to flight. Here's why.

There's a pretty good reason for eating before pulling Gs. A full stomach tends to give something for the diaphragm to push against; hence, a better AGSM. As far as getting sick...has little, if anything, to do with Gs and much more to do with the (often) accompanying SD.

7125.jpg

HornyU2

pilot
None
During the summer of 03', I was called to the Skippers' (we actually called him the Squadron Commander - but, I'm trying to learn my new vernacular) office to explain why three of my students had G-LOC'd themselves in a span of about 10 days. All three of them did it in the G-Awareness exercise or G-Warm up. Since I was flying the T-37 at the time, I sat there right next to them and watched them do it to themselves. They all three had the following in common

1. Tall and Skinny
2. Male
3. Inexperienced
4. Was during the GX maneuver at about 5 G's
5. It was exceptionally hot in Del Rio that summer and they were on their 2nd hop of the day (dehydrated and tired.)

The real culprit though, was that they were all doing the worst G-strain at the time, which is the No-strain. Because the T-37 couldn't pull a level 5-G turn, the nose had to be about 20 degrees low to get a decent 90 degree 5-G pull without losing precious airspeed. So, after their obligatory 3 good breathing cycles - they were done with the exercise and stopped straining. Problem is, the jet still needed to be pulled from the dive, and still had plenty of smash on it. So, as they continued pulling the nose to level and without straining, they went to sleep. The second kid did the best funky chicken I have ever seen and let out the most awesome little girl scream - I wish I would have had a HUD tape. I never saw this same type of thing when teaching in the T-6 or in the T-38. Perhaps, because they could pull a better GX without such a horrendous dive needed to preserve energy. Anyway, somebody pointed out experience as a big factor - and I think this really is the biggie. Knowing when and how much to strain based on attitude, airspeed, duration of pull, etc. is huge.

This stuff makes me excited to get back into it - although my G-tolerance is probably a little less than awesome right now. The 767 hasn't exactly kept me proficient.

MasterBates

Eat some fries.

Go lift.

Stop running 7 miles a day.

Being a lardass is bad, but being Mr Bean will get you knocked out as well.