• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY20 Oct. 28, 2019 SNA/NFO Board

OperationChungus

pilot
Did any of you consider any of the other branches for aviation? If so, what led you to go Navy?

Originally wanted to go the WOCS route because of the amount of flying and the ability to fly in the 160th, but the Navy seemed more attractive in terms of quality of life and opportunities after the military. If I can't get a Navy flight slot, Army would be next.

Army only limited me to helos

That's incorrect. You can fly Dash 7's and C-12's (can't remember what other FW the Army has)

jalen22

Originally wanted to go the WOCS route because of the amount of flying and the ability to fly in the 160th, but the Navy seemed more attractive in terms of quality of life and opportunities after the military. If I can't get a Navy flight slot, Army would be next.

That's incorrect. You can fly Dash 7's and MC-12's (can't remember what other FW the Army has)
True, I forget about those, I'm not too keen on the WO route. Not saying i wouldn't want to do it, just not my first choice

swmonroe88

pilot
Did any of you consider any of the other branches for aviation? If so, what led you to go Navy?

Prior service jarhead, but too many tattoos to be a Marine Officer. Considered going WOFT when I was still enlisted, but now that I have a degree I prefer the leadership options, pay (O-1E to O-3E) compared to offers I've turned down in the civilian sector, and opportunity to fly jets the Navy offers. Also very interested in the chance to fly off of the boat, so Navy really was the only option.

Thanos

Initially wanted Air Force. Sent one email to an officer recruiter after graduation, told me there were no OTS slots until FY 2020 and didn't help with anything else. Of course, it looks like the Navy’s application process has taken a year of my time anyway, but I think I’m making the right branch choice. Grandfather was in the Navy, always loved ships and planes, and many of my astronaut role models are former Navy officers, so I called up my NRD. Fly Navy

Swimmer91

I don’t have any tattoos, but I was former navy aviation as enlisted and didn’t really think about the other branches. Someone recently asked me why not Air Force or marines and I’m like ?‍♂️ Haha. Then I looked it up after to justify it and I’m like yeah navy has better leadership grooming and is the spearhead hahaha

DefiningFire

Initially was planning on going AirForce, however, the OR for the AirForce in my local area was unresponsive and unhelpful. One day I decided to say "screw it" and go to where I was told the Air Force's Officer Recruiter was located. I show up and the enlisted recruiter at that location says "Yah we get this mistake a lot" and they are actually located on the exact opposite side of my major city. Pretty much was over the Air Force at that point, went to the nearest Navy recruiting station and asked for the contact info for the closest OR. I was able to talk to them and get started within 20 minutes. It definitely helped me make my mind up and now that I've got a lot more insight into the Navy I am glad about the path I'm attempting.

OperationChungus

pilot
Haha it seems like most of us had a strange experience with AF officer recruiters. My AF recruiter finally got back to me the day after I had taken the ASTB so I wasn’t about to drop everything again and study for another exam right off the bat. The recruiter was also dead set on trying to get me put engineer down as a second option in case I didn’t get a pilot slot. I told him I’d just reapply, but he was really adamant about me going engineer. Apparently the Air Force is hurting for engineers. I wonder if it’s the very high paying civilian jobs that are available for engineers..... /s

cinnamon

I’ve wanted to be a Naval Officer since I was 17. Enlisted in the Navy, got my bachelors thanks to Uncle Sam, and I figured what better way to show my gratitude for having the means to further my education, and of course the awesome career opportunity!

A year out form graduation went to talk to a recruiter in SD. He was terrible so I explored other avenues. Coast Guard didn’t want to mess with me because I was already waiting for MEPS with Navy, I didn’t get further than a phone call with the Marines because of tattoos, and then Army was suggested by a friend but I just wanted to keep trying Navy.

I graduated Aug 2018 from Point Loma Nazarene and had a baby Dec 2018 so that plus a terrible recruiter slowed me down just a tad ? even through all the hurdles, I just know Navy is for me. Also my husband is AD and we’re a proud Navy family ??? So it would be amazing if I got selected ?

(aaaaand that's my life story lol sorry guys)

Last edited:

Reg-A-Muffin0716

Resist, Retaliate, Press Forward!

Army Aviation or Air Force. I wanted to fly either Apache attack choppers as I considered it the sexiest Helo ever or land-based jets like the F-15 and the F-16. Then, I saw "that" movie. And, the rest is history ?

On the serious side, though, after my initial enlistment as an AE, I tried to get a scholarship through my nearest Air Force ROTC detachment (USC, Detachment 060/"Det 60"). When I took the AFOQT, I managed to ace everything except the Verbal (VE) section, on which I scored 2 points below the minimum (13 instead of 15). Afterwards, I told myself, "Nope. Never gonna be an Air Force Pilot."

Also, my birth father was a GSM2 aboard 2 destroyers (the Elliot and the Stethem). He would tell me stories about going to ports of call throughout WESTPAC cruises that he underwent as well as some of the most suspenseful encounters at sea (especially with Seahawks landing on the aft flight deck of either destroyer in bad i.e. foggy and/or rainy weather). Though he and I had a falling out years ago, the fact that he was a Sailor is the only thing that I respect about him and it has driven me up to this point as I await shipout date early next year.

Last edited: