• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 STA-21 Applicants

zarevich

Hey there Popo .... Good to hear from ya ... I just finished two classes this past Sunday and now I'm taking a break until after results ... I have 2 more classes left to graduate!

I think they wouldn't accept you, because they would spend more money on sending you to college for 2 classes. (flight tickets, classes, monthly pays, etc) rather than letting you stay in your command having your working in your rate, finish the 2 classes left with TA and accept you with OCS program. Just my opinion, but you should still apply, wont hurt, i just think you would waste some valuable time instead of doing something else, like volunteering or spend more time with your family if you have any.

weq820

FY16 STA-21 Applicant, Pilot
I actually think that you have to be a Commissioned officer by age 29.

Actually, there's a wide variety of age limits amongst the STA-21 options. For example, 35 is the age limit for a least a couple of options. And the CEC option says you can be up to 42. Although, 29 seems to be the most common age limit.

zarevich

Actually, there's a wide variety of age limits amongst the STA-21 options. For example, 35 is the age limit for a least a couple of options. And the CEC option says you can be up to 42. Although, 29 seems to be the most common age limit.

I think he was talking about Pilot program.

ohnoitslizz

FY-19 LDO Applicant
Guys quick question,
I went to VBSS school for a month with an O-2 officer, will his Letter of Recommendation count, even a little?
Thank you.
MM3

Higher LOR's will have higher pull. However, from what I have read in this thread as well as other FY STA-21 forums, some say too many LORs hurt you, others say too few LORS hurt you. My overall plan of attack was that regardless of the rank of the person writing my LOR's, if that person had observed me in a close environment and could justify writing me a recommendation that spoke about my work ethic, professionalism, etc. I included it. For example, I had an O-3's recommendation who had been my OIC at my previous command who due to the small command size, had directly worked with me as well as spoke about my MWR involvement-- I think that because he closely observed my tasks and accomplishments as well as the position he was in as OIC, this was a good LOR to include. Another thing you can try for is to route a request up to an admiral of your strike group. While we're at sea, it's a great time to network! (I'm assuming you're at sea due to your recent VBSS school).

ohnoitslizz

FY-19 LDO Applicant
I think they wouldn't accept you, because they would spend more money on sending you to college for 2 classes. (flight tickets, classes, monthly pays, etc) rather than letting you stay in your command having your working in your rate, finish the 2 classes left with TA and accept you with OCS program. Just my opinion, but you should still apply, wont hurt, i just think you would waste some valuable time instead of doing something else, like volunteering or spend more time with your family if you have any.

Zarevich, have you sat on boards? I don't think it helps to speculate results unless we've personally sat on a board-- which, if you have, i mean this in the most respectful way possible! Let's try to keep positive throughout these threads for each other as most of us sit here in the final stretch for FY14 waiting for results. We don't need to put down each other's applications and situations at this point in the game.

Good luck, Alongs88.

A_Wand

FY12/13 ALT FY14 CANDIDATE
I also think its great that if you only have two classes left, that you submitted to the program but strongly feel it is taking a spot away from someone who could really utilize the program to the fullest. I would be putting my efforts into those two classes... (maybe 8 weeks) instead of waiting 7 months for results, just to wait longer to finish those two classes after NSI, etc etc etc. I'm not trying to bash anyone.. at all.. im just saying that I think that spot would be better gone to a candidate who would really need the program.

A_Wand

Anyone have any speculations for the date of the announcement yet??? The past few years its come out early NOV! I think i'll start the guessing at NOV 1St!

who has the hookup with the Admirals admin ? LOL

ohnoitslizz

FY-19 LDO Applicant
Anyone have any speculations for the date of the announcement yet??? The past few years its come out early NOV! I think i'll start the guessing at NOV 1St!

lol, i checked the DTG stamp on the last NAVADMIN-- it was the 25th of October last year. I'm hoping before halloween they'll be out!!!

And A_wand: I know personally being that ALongo was an alternate last year, in his shoes i would have tried again this year too. I' m not that selfless that I'd take myself out of the running when I was so close last year. Although, it stinks for us! because he's solid competition being that he was an alternate last year! lol

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I also think its great that if you only have two classes left, that you submitted to the program but strongly feel it is taking a spot away from someone who could really utilize the program to the fullest. I would be putting my efforts into those two classes... (maybe 8 weeks) instead of waiting 7 months for results, just to wait longer to finish those two classes after NSI, etc etc etc. I'm not trying to bash anyone.. at all.. im just saying that I think that spot would be better gone to a candidate who would really need the program.

It is impossible to take away a spot from another person simply because they are more qualified.... This program isn't about giving people a handout. It is about letting those who DESERVE it, the ability to pursue their academic goals and earn a commissioning. Let the candidate who is better qualified earn the selection. I do not believe in taking something away from somebody who deserves it, just so the other guy can have it instead. Also, the wait for results is four months at most (01 July - 31 October).

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete

For the last three years the results have come out in October.
(as per the NAVADMIN webpage)
345/10 FY11 10/19/2010
316/11 FY12 10/21/2011
318/12 FY13 10/15/2012

If I had to guess it would some time mid-month. You would think with less selections the results would come out much sooner. I sure hope its not November. I am on deployment and it would be nice to have extra time to get stuff done, if selected that is. This forum gets really busy in October. Lots of new people start showing up. Usually the results somehow leak here first, or somebody will announce that they are out.

DANG3R M0US3

It is impossible to take away a spot from another person simply because they are more qualified.... This program isn't about giving people a handout. It is about letting those who DESERVE it, the ability to pursue their academic goals and earn a commissioning. Let the candidate who is better qualified earn the selection. I do not believe in taking something away from somebody who deserves it, just so the other guy can have it instead. Also, the wait for results is four months at most (01 July - 31 October).

Agreed that the most deserving candidates should be selected, as this will create the best product of officers! My personal feelings towards it are frustration with myself mostly, for not being as close to a degree as others are, and realizing how much more I could and still can be doing to improve my package. Everyone has their own right to apply, and best of luck to those who are two classes away and those on the other end who are still starting their degree. In the end, I am very happy I am applying for a different program than Longo, because his stats are impressive.

A_Wand

haha.. maybe it just feels like the results come out so late, since we impatiently repeat pressing F5 for the newest announcements! LOL

im not saying take a spot away from a very qualified candidate.. I'm just saying that if they are qualified to hit the ground running for OCS, then why not do that and allow another qualified candidate pick up a selection instead of an alternate spot? IDK, it seems like im the only person on this side of the conversation?!?!?

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot

This is severely misguided. The average enlisted sailor including myself (FY 08 selectee) works on getting a degree that he normally wouldn't choose from a university that is not top tier because it is easier to work around his work schedule and they accept a lot of SMART transcript credits. You are eligible for this program if you don't have a bachelor's degree PERIOD. It allows you to go to a top flight school and get the degree you have always wanted. You earn this program and if someone makes you feel guilty because you worked hard on academics prior to the selection they are wrong. Bottom line is most of Alongo's credits probably won't transfer as credit to a big time school. I was also only a few classes away from getting my degree when I was selected, was a nuke, yet I started at the University of Illinois at Chicago with a balmy 22 credits.