• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 STA-21 Applicants

lifepilot17

FY-14 STA-21 Alternate Selectee
I think they wouldn't accept you, because they would spend more money on sending you to college for 2 classes. (flight tickets, classes, monthly pays, etc) rather than letting you stay in your command having your working in your rate, finish the 2 classes left with TA and accept you with OCS program. Just my opinion, but you should still apply, wont hurt, i just think you would waste some valuable time instead of doing something else, like volunteering or spend more time with your family if you have any.

To go off of what ohnoitslizz said, you have to keep it positive in here; we need to be good shipmates.

Responding to your humble opinion, however, Alongo88 actually has a greater chance of being selected since he's so close to graduating. Reasons being: it saves the Navy money (bonus #1), and it puts him into the officer corps quicker (bonus #2) and into a critical officer designation (bonus #3).

zarevich

Higher LOR's will have higher pull. However, from what I have read in this thread as well as other FY STA-21 forums, some say too many LORs hurt you, others say too few LORS hurt you. My overall plan of attack was that regardless of the rank of the person writing my LOR's, if that person had observed me in a close environment and could justify writing me a recommendation that spoke about my work ethic, professionalism, etc. I included it. For example, I had an O-3's recommendation who had been my OIC at my previous command who due to the small command size, had directly worked with me as well as spoke about my MWR involvement-- I think that because he closely observed my tasks and accomplishments as well as the position he was in as OIC, this was a good LOR to include. Another thing you can try for is to route a request up to an admiral of your strike group. While we're at sea, it's a great time to network! (I'm assuming you're at sea due to your recent VBSS school).
Is it possible if you could explain me how to route a request to an admiral? Thanks.

ohnoitslizz

FY-19 LDO Applicant
Is it possible if you could explain me how to route a request to an admiral? Thanks.

Zarevich, My Admin officer suggested this to me and I did not think it was possible-- an Admiral, recommend me? But, I am in an airwing, so we had to route the completed (or what we had completed at that point) package up through CAG who wrote me one and then had it pushed up through the flag writer for the Admiral. A lot of the coordinating/leg work was done by my higher chain of command-- my Admin officer and Personnel officer continually spoke with the admin officer in CAG and with the flag writer of the strikegroup to get it done. I believe this was much easier to get this accomplished because we were at sea. I was really fortunate to have a chain of command motivated to help me out.

What kind of a command are you at? do you have support from your chain of command?

ohnoitslizz

FY-19 LDO Applicant
To go off of what ohnoitslizz said, you have to keep it positive in here; we need to be good shipmates.

Responding to your humble opinion, however, Alongo88 actually has a greater chance of being selected since he's so close to graduating. Reasons being: it saves the Navy money (bonus #1), and it puts him into the officer corps quicker (bonus #2) and into a critical officer designation (bonus #3).

I agree with this-- my Skipper actually made changes to his statement to include that I have a degree and would "save the navy money." I'm not as far along as Alongo88, but I, too was hoping an Associates degree would help convince the board to pick me. I'm sure there are plenty of applicants with an associates, though, so wishful thinking!!!!

ohnoitslizz

FY-19 LDO Applicant
HOLY CRAPPP!!!!! They changed the age limit for SWO(IP) as well !!! ... What the hell?? When did this happen? I wonder if this applies to all of us applying this year?? I may have to email Mr. Straten.

Where did you see the SWO(IP) age change? I noticed SWO has been changed in the fleet brief and it's Program Authorization... this is exciting news! I can't believe I just saw this. This means i'm not "too old" to take a few more stabs at it. It puts less pressure on my current package-- although first time up would be amazing!!!

good luck again to everyone = )

zarevich

Zarevich, My Admin officer suggested this to me and I did not think it was possible-- an Admiral, recommend me? But, I am in an airwing, so we had to route the completed (or what we had completed at that point) package up through CAG who wrote me one and then had it pushed up through the flag writer for the Admiral. A lot of the coordinating/leg work was done by my higher chain of command-- my Admin officer and Personnel officer continually spoke with the admin officer in CAG and with the flag writer of the strikegroup to get it done. I believe this was much easier to get this accomplished because we were at sea. I was really fortunate to have a chain of command motivated to help me out.

What kind of a command are you at? do you have support from your chain of command?
I am on a small boat, CG. Mostly know everybody, and i guess i will find out how much my chain of command supports me =] But you recommend me try to route a request to the admiral around 60-70% of my package being completed? or should i try at the beginning of my package?

I agree with everyone's sentiment, that the most qualified person should always be selected. I think the vast majority of people in the military, and in the general population also agree. Unfortunately your qualifications aren't the only thing they are looking at. Why do you think you have to tell the selection board what your race is?

exNavyOffRec

Where did you see the SWO(IP) age change? I noticed SWO has been changed in the fleet brief and it's Program Authorization... this is exciting news! I can't believe I just saw this. This means i'm not "too old" to take a few more stabs at it. It puts less pressure on my current package-- although first time up would be amazing!!!

good luck again to everyone = )

In many cases items change but the USN has so many documents to make the changes in it often takes time, all the IDC designators have moved the max age of commissioning to 42 in all the PA's, SWO has been 29 for a bit (31 with waiver for service)

Hello everyone,
Finally returned from deployment. Wish everyone the best. I hope everyone has something to do to keep themsleves occupied during this waiting period. Now that I'm back on land I started school. I'm taking 4 classes this fall through UMUC continuing towards my computer and information science degree. With any luck we'll have the results within the next 40 days or so (not that I'm counting). With a lot or prayer we'll see our names on the list.

A_Wand

FY12/13 ALT FY14 CANDIDATE
we need some discussion to pass the last few weeks..... anyone have ideas to spark some convo?

This semester I am taking the following classes through UMUC:
Fundamentals of Networking (In preparation for my networking+ cert exam)
Network Security (In preparation for my security+ cert exam)
Intro to algorithm design
Introduction to computer programming

Also I think my command is starting a pace term in Nov. If that's the case then I'll take at the very least Calc II and maybe physics because all of my classes will be over or almost over by then. And Yes, I am excited for The Walking Dead.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
What classes are everyone taking? (or, who's looking forward to the Walking Dead?)

I am almost finish with Operating Systems, and Database Systems. I can't wait until they are over. Not exactly the most fun I have ever had. I am also in the middle of learning Android Development during my free time. I never picked up on the Walking Dead TV series. I read a few of Kirkman's comics about the series about 5 years ago. I was on recruiting duty in NRD Atlanta while they were filming some of the shows. Pretty cool stuff.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I just realized that they changed the website a bit. No more ratings on post. Thank goodness. That was annoying.

Jeremy Springston

FY14 CEC Option
I give you guys a lot of credit; I have no desire to do anything computer-related. I've got Intro to Probability and Statistics, Physics 1, and Intro to Differential Equations. Physics is phun, prob and stat is kinda cool (mostly because I'm learning how to be an amateur card shark), and diff eq makes me want to stick a sharp stick through my eyes.

Popo, won't lie, I'm envious you got to do recruiting in Atlanta. I'm from Marietta and wouldn't mind getting stationed there for a few years.

Paul, if you happen to ever need some help with Calc 2, let me know and I would be more than happy to help. That was, by far, my least favorite math class NOT named number theory.