• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 STA-21 Applicants

I couldn't find a thread for FY14 so I decided to start one. Anyone working on there package already? What number package is this for you? What are you doing to change your package this year from last year? After last year's results is anyone changing there program?

I for one am working on my package already. I am deploying in Feb until ~August so my package has to get done soon. I've already done my internal boards and I'm meeting with my Captain after the holidays. I am changing my program from IW-Core to SWO/IP-Core due to last year's results. This will be my last viable year for SWO/IP, but I'll only have 2 years to finish it due to my age. As far as differences from last year's package I retook my SAT and improved 100 points (1150 >1250). I qualified Submarine Warfare, along with a lot of in rate qualifications. I got a few more awards (blue jacket of the quarter and FSA of the month so far). Also have a lot more college credits within my first year at my first sea going command I will have amassed 30 college credits through the use of TA, NCPACE, and CLEP. I took precalc using TA (got a B), I'm currently taking Calc through NCPACE, and by the time I'm done will have taken and passed 5 more clep tests (computer applications, Precalc, college math, American government, and social science and history) I am only taking precalc and college math as a numbers booster. The tests are free and easy so i figured why not? My last PRTs is the best one yet(got an excellent finally). And finally, my board reviews (atleast for my internals) are all better with really good write ups.

I'm finding it a lot easier to do my second package compared to my first. My first year I had very little help (shout out to YN1 Smith), and I was in transition from a training command (first year in the Navy) to an interim command (boat was deployed) to being aboard for only a short time causing me to put my package in through the interim command with their skipper's write up. This year its more of a copy paste, rewrite personal statement, add awards, add eval, and take as many college credits as possible. I'm glad I did it last year because this year I am helping a lot of people at my command. It seems my drive has inspired a few other people because I'm working with 2nd and 1st classes on their sta21, OCS, and LDO packages. With that being said good luck to everyone this year. If anyone needs any help feel free to inbox me.

PS. If there is already a FY14 thread I apologize and happy holidays everyone

CaliGuy4Ever

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again...
Hey, Paul. I'm also contemplating on putting up an FY14 STA-21 package as well (as a SELRES Sailor, though). This is gonna be my first time. Technically, it's my 2nd time (tried to complete one near the end of August 2010 but submitted it a little too late, sadly).

I am opting to apply for Pilot AND Core options. The thing is though I have yet to find suitable officers for my interview boards.

Here are further details of my eligibility:

1. I have 1 and 1/2 years worth of college under my belt and currently working on my AA Degree in Fine and Performing Arts using my Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits; I am opting to get my BA in Graphic Design or another related field through the STA-21 program.
2. I have 2 semesters worth of ROTC training with the Air Force ROTC detachment at USC. Not sure if this would be a factor on getting accepted to STA-21.
3. Results of my ACT test on April of this year: English - 25, Math - 24, Overall - 24
4. 4 years of active duty but did not make it past AEAN due to overmanning. I was PTS'd out last year and now have to cross-rate to PS while now going in the SELRES.

The thing is though:
- I have yet to take my ASTB test for the 2nd time. I did not do so well on the 1st one I took while I was in active duty. If I can recall, I got a 3 on the AOR portion and 4 on both Pilot and NFO portions of my 1st test
- I only completed my AE apprenticeship (no other quals beyond that like EAWS, PC, etc. since I was so scared to go even think about going to the boards for those)
- I haven't taken Precalc. and Trig. yet, which are prerequisites for Calculus classes at any college, but I plan to during the semesters after Spring 2013 (that is, if I'm not able to go back to active duty in the middle of this coming year)
- I took 2 PFA tests while I was a cadet in my AFROTC detachment. Not sure if those can transfer over to the Navy PRT standards
- I have recently been disenrolled in AFROTC due to "substandard performance" as the detachment commander put it. I wasn't doing anything wrong. It's just that I didn't step up to the plate more than I did when it comes to leadership roles in my flight and the detachment. Now, I'm thinking about putting this in my personal statement as one of the hardships I encountered

Eblack904

Hey Paul, Its YN2/OC, good to see you still going at man. Looks like you have learned a lot from me and as far as helping people out and setting the example. I am pulling for you to get selected this year. inbox me, so i can link up with you in case you need any advice or outside help. Sounds like you are doing well.

KeJuan918

Goodluck to all who are stepping up to this grueling challenge. This is my first actual package year the three years prior were filled with curveballs. I currently attend HPU under their Biochemistry option which makes them my sixth college to date so transcripts will be a nightmare lol. I have a great command this go around so that puts my mind at ease. The last couple of years results were a bit disheartening but if I don't make it this time i'll just complete my bachelors and apply for OCS. I'm studying for the National ACT in february and will take Navy College one in March for good measure. Other than that I'm working hard to make my first eval as a 2nd look good and volunteering as much as I can.

Doc B-dorf

No FY15 Program for me! Almost done w/school!
Long time lurker, new poster.

I am applying yet again in FY-14. Third time's a charm. Of course I'm going for the MEDCORPS option and last year BUPERS didn't allow any MC quotas, so that sucked. My previous two were just fantastic. My first time my ACT scores weren't submitted because I was stationed in Japan and had the wonderful 9.0 earthquake, the second time at a new command and the CCC didn't help very well so wasn't able to get the number of MC Officer's for my package. The one thing I find perplexing is that it seems like NO HM's are picked up, I've seen one IDC picked up for the MEDCORPS option. I have my internal board and CO interview end of January and beginning of February, my external board is going to be at NH Oak Harbor (a good 4 hour commute from NH Bremerton) near end of February. The one thing that is probably going to hold me back is my weak math scores, but I'm enrolled in Trig so that should help. Keeping my fingers crossed.

My package stats 3rd time:
Rate/Paygrade: HM1
LOS: 10 years, 4 months
NEC: 8483 (OR Tech), 8404, 90ET (Medical Advisor)
Warfare: FMF
5 Evals (Oldest to newest): MP (New command), MP, EP, MP (1st E6 Eval/Frocked, small group), MP (New command, larger summary group).
ACT: 21 ENG, 22 MATH (Not stellar, but above the min!)
HS GPA: 3.18
College GPA: 3.73
Awards: Multiple ICM/ACM, 2 NAM, 1 ARCOM
LOR: 4, 3 ophthalmologist (2 CDR, 1 LCDR who is DH), 1 Cardiologist CDR.
PRT: Good/Good/Good.

KeJuan918

Welcome B-dorf I've been a lurker for years lol! With this year's package have you ever though of dropping a MECP or MSC to extend your chances? I just want to be a officer no matter the designator, but my heart has always been in the medical field. I'm almost finished with my Biochem degree and if I don't get picked up for STA-21 or any of the other commissioning programs the next couple of years I will submit my MCAT to USUHS and see whats happens. Good luck brother and those past experiences have only made you better prepared this go around. If your weak at math but have have a decent amount of math transferable course (chem, physics, cal, trig, etc) I believe that should speak volumes over a standardized test.

Doc B-dorf

Welcome B-dorf I've been a lurker for years lol! With this year's package have you ever though of dropping a MECP or MSC to extend your chances? I just want to be a officer no matter the designator, but my heart has always been in the medical field. I'm almost finished with my Biochem degree and if I don't get picked up for STA-21 or any of the other commissioning programs the next couple of years I will submit my MCAT to USUHS and see whats happens. Good luck brother and those past experiences have only made you better prepared this go around. If your weak at math but have have a decent amount of math transferable course (chem, physics, cal, trig, etc) I believe that should speak volumes over a standardized test.

KeJuan,

For me, my life goal is to be a cardio-thoracic surgeon, so MECP and MSC are out. Good luck on your USHUS application and let me know how the MCAT went! To be honest, I'm avoiding chem, physics until I get to a brick and mortar college, since my school is strictly online. I know USHUS is a little behind seeing as how they won't accept any online schooling for physics, chem or calc.

Jennifer Båtstad

FY-13 STA-21 Selectee
"I'm currently taking Calc through NCPACE, and by the time I'm done will have taken and passed 5 more clep tests (computer applications, Precalc, college math, American government, and social science and history) I am only taking precalc and college math as a numbers booster. The tests are free and easy so i figured why not?"

That's really smart of you to get Calculus out of the way. I think that being able to demonstrate academic proficiency, especially in math, is a strength the board values. Also, you'll save yourself time in school (and the Navy a lot of money) if you can get those calculus requirements out of the way now, prior to selection.

Just make sure that whatever university you intend to attend will accept those CLEP tests and your NCPACE courses for the classes you need (as per STA-21 and/or your major's graduation requirements). Otherwise you'll end up very frustrated, but with a lot of credits. I took an introductory course (in my major's field) through NCPACE this year, and it doesn't even count as a prerequisite for my major, and it won't count as an upper-credit elective since it was a lower-level course. Unfortunate, but a lesson learned.

Also, in case everyone doesn't already know, NKO offers free study guides and practice tests for the CLEP tests-- a fantastic resource. I just learned about it, but maybe I'm the only one not already "in the know"?

Doc B-dorf

Jennifer,

First let me congratulate you on getting selected for NFO, especially since you were the only one selected for that program!

Second, I've been debating whether or not to take calculus. First, I absolutely suck at math, so we'll see how Trig goes first. Second is I currently attend American Military University and since that is a strictly online school and USHUS doesn't accept online credits, but if the UW or Oregon State (my two major choices) accept this credit, techincally it is from the UW or OSU. Hopefully USHUS just looks at that and not where the credit came from. Also the UW doesn't accept CLEP credit so that option is out. I am trying to work it out with my Department Head to attempt to take classes at lunch, but the college does not exactly offer convienent times.

Jennifer,

First let me congratulate you on getting selected for NFO, especially since you were the only one selected for that program!

Second, I've been debating whether or not to take calculus. First, I absolutely suck at math, so we'll see how Trig goes first. Second is I currently attend American Military University and since that is a strictly online school and USHUS doesn't accept online credits, but if the UW or Oregon State (my two major choices) accept this credit, techincally it is from the UW or OSU. Hopefully USHUS just looks at that and not where the credit came from. Also the UW doesn't accept CLEP credit so that option is out. I am trying to work it out with my Department Head to attempt to take classes at lunch, but the college does not exactly offer convienent times.

I had the same problem with math so I decided to review algebra and CLEP it. Then I actually took PreCalc through a local school. Since I'm going underway soon for awhile I decided to take Calculus through NCPACE. I'm not sure what other people think, but if you can take the courses/tests for free even if they don't necessarily count I would. Only because it shows the board that you can take those courses while performing your military job. I think that's what the board wants to see. But then again that's all just conjecture and I tell myself that to make me feel better lol. What does everyone else think? Should you take a class even if it might not transfer/count to show the board your capable or is it just a waste of time?

Doc B-dorf

I had the same problem with math so I decided to review algebra and CLEP it. Then I actually took PreCalc through a local school. Since I'm going underway soon for awhile I decided to take Calculus through NCPACE. I'm not sure what other people think, but if you can take the courses/tests for free even if they don't necessarily count I would. Only because it shows the board that you can take those courses while performing your military job. I think that's what the board wants to see. But then again that's all just conjecture and I tell myself that to make me feel better lol. What does everyone else think? Should you take a class even if it might not transfer/count to show the board your capable or is it just a waste of time?

Paul,

Why would CALC not count? NCPACE is taught by college professors from an accredited university, so it should. Of course, it depends on what is considered transferrable by the college you are accepted to. The board looks favorably on those that have completed CALC and Physics from what I have learned.

Paul,

Why would CALC not count? NCPACE is taught by college professors from an accredited university, so it should. Of course, it depends on what is considered transferrable by the college you are accepted to. The board looks favorably on those that have completed CALC and Physics from what I have learned.

What I meant was a course/clep taken not counting towards your actual degree at whatever college you are going to attend (toward your major). Or not transferring at all. I agree with you from what I hear the boards look favorably on the people that take them. Just asking the question to what everyone else has heard/thinks.

Doc B-dorf

What I meant was a course/clep taken not counting towards your actual degree at whatever college you are going to attend (toward your major). Or not transferring at all. I agree with you from what I hear the boards look favorably on the people that take them. Just asking the question to what everyone else has heard/thinks.

Ahhhhh, the light bulb just clicked. As for completing a course that has nothing to do with your major or not transferring, nobody will know until the transcripts are submitted, unless your school (Like the University of Washington) does not accept ANY CLEP courses. One plus though, if the course doesn't transfer, when you take the class at your physical classroom, it will just be a review and should give you a good boost for your GPA. I think taking it and the board seeing you completed it will help, even if it doesn't transfer since I don't think the board will look at each college you are applying to in order to see what classes are transferrable.

Doc B-dorf

FYI of anybody watching this thread, application is now open on STA-21 Website.

Doc B-dorf

Sooooo, don't know if this has been posted yet, but this includes the FY13 selection numbers and numbers how many applied.

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/fleet_brief.asp

I DID do a search, but my searching skills must suck because nothing popped up. I personally do not like the trend in selection numbers, but the Navy is cutting forces, still.

Does anybody think that because the Navy came in UNDER its propsed end strength that this could help the selection numbers for FY14?