• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 STA-21 Applicants

KeJuan918

Well since I see other people doing it ill join.
Rate: AT2(AW)
TIS: 5.5
Evals:EP,EP,MP,EP
ACT: 22 retake saturday
ASTB: 64 OAR , and 4's in the AOR, PFAR, & FOFAR without studying
HS GPA: 2.8ish
College: 3.2 (Currently 4.0 at HPU premed)
Credits:90+(I keep resetting everytime I transfer)
Awards: (1)NAM, (1)GC and various deploy ribbons
PRT: Good, the past 2 1/2 yrs waived due to IA, check-in, and deployment
Volunteer: lot though NMCRS and Red Cross

I honestly don't really care what designator I go in I just want bars! I hold a TS, picking up Farsi, work in aviation, and going to school for medicine. The ultimate goal will be a doctor when I grow up, but until then I'll walk through whichever door opens. Oh and I'm the departmental CC

christobal1227

Would getting aircrew wings help? I know that SAR is hurting bad for Corpsmen. It's a good desk, too. Beats sitting around at the clinic handing out Motrin.

^
I'm actually an AVT so going SAR is an option for me. Before arriving at Yuma I was in the Pipeline to be a SAR Corpsman. I didn't make it through the final school in the pipeline, "Flight Medic School" If I do not get accepted STA-21 I plan on going back and finishing that last school

I tried searching for this, but I didn't have any luck.

If you are selected for STA-21, do the years you spend at college count towards your retirement? I have heard several different answers, and I'm wondering if anyone can direct me towards something official on the matter. Thanks for the help.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I tried searching for this, but I didn't have any luck.

If you are selected for STA-21, do the years you spend at college count towards your retirement? I have heard several different answers, and I'm wondering if anyone can direct me towards something official on the matter. Thanks for the help.

http://www.sta-21.navy.mil/program_overview.asp
"Time spent in school will not count towards retirement, however, it will count towards pay purposes. "

Also, on this page: http://www.sta-21.navy.mil/index.asp
"Changes to OPNAVINST 1420.1 series are submitted as they occur, however, because updates to the instruction require extensive coordination, it is strongly recommended that personnel use the information provided on this website. The website is updated as changes are approved."

So that makes it official.

exNavyOffRec

"Time spent in school will not count towards retirement, however, it will count towards pay purposes. "

"Changes to OPNAVINST 1420.1 series are submitted as they occur, however, because updates to the instruction require extensive coordination, it is strongly recommended that personnel use the information provided on this website. The website is updated as changes are approved."

That is interesting, I wonder how that works that a person is kept on active duty receives full pay, but yet the time on AD in STA 21 doesn't count toward retirement but it does for pay? When I was at my last sea command I would have asked about this for my guys as I had many STA 21 drops that came to work for me.

So when did this come into effect? I attended school from June of 2009 to May of 2011. Is the policy retroactive?

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
So when did this come into effect? I attended school from June of 2009 to May of 2011. Is the policy retroactive?

I was a FY-09 SNA select and attended from Aug 2009 through May 2012. My year group was the last of the STA guys/gals to receive credit for time spent in college and have it counted towards retirement. I was lucky to have my 3 years count but understand why the change was put into place. Even with that change, the STA-21 program is still a pretty sweet gig.

Not retroactive and with your school dates you should be among the last of us to have three years of college count as AD military retirement time.

I was a FY-09 SNA select and attended from Aug 2009 through May 2012. My year group was the last of the STA guys/gals to receive credit for time spent in college and have it counted towards retirement. I was lucky to have my 3 years count but understand why the change was put into place. Even with that change, the STA-21 program is still a pretty sweet gig.

Not retroactive and with your school dates you should be among the last of us to have three years of college count as AD military retirement time.
Phew. Thanks for the update. Yeah I was a FY-08 select, so hopefully they count. I do wish that I could so some sort of instruction on the matter. I'll just keep looking into it. Thanks again

Doc B-dorf

No FY15 Program for me! Almost done w/school!
Ladies and gentlemen,

Straight from the STA-21 Website for selection quotas:

IMPORTANT INFO: The following Target Options and CORE are open for application for FY-14 STA-21 selection board: SWO, SWO/ED, SWO/IP, SWO/OCEANO, NUCLEAR, SPECWAR, EOD, NFO, PILOT, CEC, & NURSE CORPS.

The following Target Options have zero select opportunity for FY-14: HR, INTEL, IW, MEDICAL CORPS, OCEANO, & SUPPLY CORPS

At least they were nice and told us this time.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Straight from the STA-21 Website for selection quotas:

IMPORTANT INFO: The following Target Options and CORE are open for application for FY-14 STA-21 selection board: SWO, SWO/ED, SWO/IP, SWO/OCEANO, NUCLEAR, SPECWAR, EOD, NFO, PILOT, CEC, & NURSE CORPS.

The following Target Options have zero select opportunity for FY-14: HR, INTEL, IW, MEDICAL CORPS, OCEANO, & SUPPLY CORPS

At least they were nice and told us this time.

Ugh well I guess there goes my options...time to do some thinking :-/

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Phew. Thanks for the update. Yeah I was a FY-08 select, so hopefully they count. I do wish that I could so some sort of instruction on the matter. I'll just keep looking into it. Thanks again
We're good...the FY10 guys were the first group for this to take effect.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Seems like this thread is pretty dead this year. I hope everyone hasn't lost hope. I'm pretty excited because there is a chance that I may have a RADM chair my external board this year. We have a huge aviation inspection in a couple weeks and after that I can shift my focus back to my package .... anyone having any issues with anything?

Doc B-dorf

No FY15 Program for me! Almost done w/school!
Seems like this thread is pretty dead this year. I hope everyone hasn't lost hope. I'm pretty excited because there is a chance that I may have a RADM chair my external board this year. We have a huge aviation inspection in a couple weeks and after that I can shift my focus back to my package .... anyone having any issues with anything?

Oh you mean like having no select option this year? That is my only issue. :p