• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 STA-21 Applicants

Sooooo, don't know if this has been posted yet, but this includes the FY13 selection numbers and numbers how many applied.

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/fleet_brief.asp

I DID do a search, but my searching skills must suck because nothing popped up. I personally do not like the trend in selection numbers, but the Navy is cutting forces, still.

Does anybody think that because the Navy came in UNDER its propsed end strength that this could help the selection numbers for FY14?

I pray it is. But then again it's probably what I say to myself to make me feel better about my chances lol. I heard some where that the application resets on/around the 1st every year. I got mine out of the way on the 4th.

DiscoMav

FY 13 STA 21 Applicant
Well, here we go again, ladies and gentlemen! Who's ready to have some fun?!? This will be my fourth time applying to the Medical Corps option... what a ride it's been. I was so pumped up last year-- thought my package was pretty darn strong-- just waiting for results, dreaming of Medical School and what specialty I might end up in-- then BAM! It was a real kick in the pants when I saw that not a single person was selected for the MC option. But then again, it could have been worse... it was a nice change telling all the interested parties that I wasn't going to be an Officer this time because NOONE was selected! Ah well, when in Rome...
I, too, have had to try and expedite the application process this year. Have my package almost all ready to go (need to tweak my personal statement: REV 127) and am in the process of trying to get interviews. I started the stats forum last year, but since a fellow MC hopeful has already posted:

Rate: ND2
Warfare: DSW/SW/PJ
High School: Ha! You mean you have to actually ATTEND classes to get good grades... huh... got my Good Enough Diploma, though.
College: AA from Coastline-- 4.0 GPA
ACT: 28 Math, 30 English
SAT: 1260
Evals: EP, EP, EP, MP(new command), (#1)EP
Awards: 2 NAM, several LOCs (none flag), LOA
PRT: All OUTSTANDING
LORs: Just 1-- Former DivO, LT at Naval Academy

Good luck to all! Let's hope for better numbers... or ANY numbers...

Doc B-dorf

No FY15 Program for me! Almost done w/school!
Well, here we go again, ladies and gentlemen! Who's ready to have some fun?!? This will be my fourth time applying to the Medical Corps option... what a ride it's been. I was so pumped up last year-- thought my package was pretty darn strong-- just waiting for results, dreaming of Medical School and what specialty I might end up in-- then BAM! It was a real kick in the pants when I saw that not a single person was selected for the MC option. But then again, it could have been worse... it was a nice change telling all the interested parties that I wasn't going to be an Officer this time because NOONE was selected! Ah well, when in Rome...
I, too, have had to try and expedite the application process this year. Have my package almost all ready to go (need to tweak my personal statement: REV 127) and am in the process of trying to get interviews. I started the stats forum last year, but since a fellow MC hopeful has already posted:

High School: Ha! You mean you have to actually ATTEND classes to get good grades... huh... got my Good Enough Diploma, though.

Well shit.....why should I even submit? :p

I'll join suit package #2

Rate: ET3 (nav)
Warfare: SS
TIS: 2 years
High School: 3.3 (all honors and AP)
College: 2.3 linguistics (pre navy) 3.0 (only 1 class), passed 4 cleps, taking Calc I (through ncpace)
ACT: 22 Math, 22 English (2011)
SAT: 1150(2011) 1250(2012)
Evals: MP (transfer), MP (2 months after I got to my first real command)
Awards: BESS graduate with distinction, Honorman (A-school), Blue Jacket of the Quarter, FSA of the month (every little bit counts lol)
PRT: good, good exellent
LORs: (1)O-6, (2)O-4

exNavyOffRec

Why not try and apply for another option that has selections?

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
WOOP WOOP!! WHAT'S UP PEEPS?:cool:
round-3.jpg

I guess it's time to begin. Good luck to everybody.

DiscoMav

FY 13 STA 21 Applicant
I've thought of different professions within the medical field-- I know PAs and nurses that love their jobs and actually have time to enjoy their lives and don't have to deal with as much BS. I can only imagine becoming a doctor, and have wanted it for so long!!! There are numerous reasons both for and against, but in the end I know in my heart that being a doctor is what I want and will not rest until it happens! I am not just trying to get commissioned. I will continue to work towards my chosen profession, and can only hope that I will be able to continue to serve AND be a doctor.
P.S. Dream specialties: either Emergency Medicine or Thoracic Surgeon

Doc B-dorf

I for one cannot, to old, I hit 3o this year. I am also in the same boat as Discomav. I work as an Operating Room technician now, and I work with surgeons, physician assistants and nurses, and guess who calls all the shots? The Doc. While both PA's and Nurses work in the medical field, I want the whole kit, not to mention that I myself am also shooting for surgery and to be honest, didn't actually think that there was anybody else shooting for cardiothoracic (heart/chest) surgery! While yes, there are physician assistants and nurse practitioners that MAY choose a surgical area, they are usually limited in the procedures they can do (from my experiences) and they will pretty much practice under a doctors license, except for NP's but they still answer to doctors when they have questions.

Is anyone stationed at or around NAS Jax/Mayport? I am stationed at NSB Kings Bay and with it being a sub base I am having trouble locating SWOs(1110) to sit my external board. I'm applying to the SWO/IP option so I'm trying to get 2 IP and 2 SWO. I've got the IP covered, but still need 2 SWO. If anyone has a point of contact please PM me your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Conversely if anyone needs and sub, IP, or IW Officers I can put you in contact with a few.

Doc B-dorf

Is anyone stationed at or around NAS Jax/Mayport? I am stationed at NSB Kings Bay and with it being a sub base I am having trouble locating SWOs(1110) to sit my external board. I'm applying to the SWO/IP option so I'm trying to get 2 IP and 2 SWO. I've got the IP covered, but still need 2 SWO. If anyone has a point of contact please PM me your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Conversely if anyone needs and sub, IP, or IW Officers I can put you in contact with a few.

Paul,

While it may be unorthodox and not sure if it will be frowned upon, there is a SWO forum on the site, perhaps you could hop in there and see if there are a couple of SWO's in the area on the forum?

Have you also tried talking to your CCC to see if he or she can help you out by contacting other CCC's of the commands in the area? My CCC is assisting in setting up my External Board at Naval Hospital Oak Harbor in Mid-Feburary.

Thanks Doc, my chop was able to hook me up with an interview with the xo and co of one of the frigates down in mayport. SO my external board will be O-5 SWO - CO, O-5 SWO- XO, O-5 IP - CO, and O-4 IP - Operations Officer. I think that's a good mix of SWO/IP Officer for the program.

Doc B-dorf

Paul

No problem, it never hurts to have a helping hand! I would also recommend finding a mustang at your command and have him review your package with a fine tooth comb. I have a prior enlisted LT who has spotted things others have missed. Of course, he was the DH for HR so that may of helped a little as well.

KeJuan918

Ok so I know this question has been asked over 100 times, but I can't find it in the search engine. Well maybe I'm not searching in the correct parameters anyways, this is a question for those who were accepted and qualified as a transfer student. I've checked with a lot of colleges and transfers have to apply during the spring. Did any of you have issues with this once you were notified of acceptance? Did you apply early and hope for STA-21 pickup? Will the transfers get rolled to the later NSI class just curious?

DiscoMav

FY 13 STA 21 Applicant
Anyone else notice the first thing you see now on the STA-21 homepage? And I quote: "IMPORTANT INFO: Dependent on its annual STA-21 officer requirements, the Navy will determine availability of the STA-21 Core Option and each Target Group Option on an annual basis. STA-21 Core Option and some Target Options may not be available some years." Whaa whaa whaaaaaaaaa. Debby Downer, I know. I have a hunch that they may select a few Nukes, though, call me crazy.

Doc B-dorf

Anyone else notice the first thing you see now on the STA-21 homepage? And I quote: "IMPORTANT INFO: Dependent on its annual STA-21 officer requirements, the Navy will determine availability of the STA-21 Core Option and each Target Group Option on an annual basis. STA-21 Core Option and some Target Options may not be available some years." Whaa whaa whaaaaaaaaa. Debby Downer, I know. I have a hunch that they may select a few Nukes, though, call me crazy.

Yeah, that notification has been up for awhile actually. I think they placed that notice on there due to the fact that around seven STA-21 communities selected no one and Mr. Paros got bombarded with questions on why there were no selections. He told me that the number crunchers look out till 2016 and beyond for the target groups. I do not think that there were no MEDCORPS selectees because the Navy is full on doctors, in my opinion it is simply because the cost to take an enlisted person through undergraduate school and then onto medical school. Remember though, Nukes had 35 slots and only 31 were selected.

Ok so I know this question has been asked over 100 times, but I can't find it in the search engine. Well maybe I'm not searching in the correct parameters anyways, this is a question for those who were accepted and qualified as a transfer student. I've checked with a lot of colleges and transfers have to apply during the spring. Did any of you have issues with this once you were notified of acceptance? Did you apply early and hope for STA-21 pickup? Will the transfers get rolled to the later NSI class just curious?

I know I'm not a selectee but it never hurts to have a college acceptance and degree plan in your pacakge. For the University of Maryland, transfer deadline is in March (I think, I just applied anyways). Once accepted, you can always contact the college and let them know your situation and that you would like to roll your admission over to which ever semester you would start. Most colleges seem to want to work with you especially since they are guaranteed tuition. Just my .02 cents, but I would contact the admissions office of the school you want to apply to.