• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
I was able to get ahold of some of the OCs from Texas A&M .... sounds like they have a pretty relaxed unit. Keepin my fingers crossed for slection into STA-21 and the school !!! ..

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
has anyone ever been worried that you will be selected for STA-21 but not admitted to a school ?? That would really suck. I almost want to apply for a couple of extra schools just in case.

hippievan

FY-13 STA-21 CEC Applicant
has anyone ever been worried that you will be selected for STA-21 but not admitted to a school ?? That would really suck. I almost want to apply for a couple of extra schools just in case.
I was just looking through prior year forums and a couple people failed to get accepted into the schools they wanted. There was also some alternates picked up because the same reason, so be prepared for sure.

hippievan

So the board should convene within the next couple weeks correct? The waiting is ridiculous, everyone was not kidding. I tried staying away from the forum...nope, no help at all.

I actually only applied for one school. It was the dumbest thing ever, but I was good (lucky) and got accepted. Thinking back, I don't know what I was thinking.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I was told the same thing by some other selectees that I knew ... they said its full of a bunch of people (im sure they were referring to other applicants .. not the Senior Os) that didn't know what they were talking about and the best way to get info is to email STA-21 and read the instruction many times over .... The main reason im on here is to BS with the other applicants and to have something to make the time go by ... Besides all these senior guys here are freakin hilarious sometimes .... actually all the time .....

If it weren't for airwarriors I would not be a LT right now, or probably in the Navy for that matter. I wanted to serve. And the members here gave me the info that allowed me to do so. Give those selectees or officers a "yes sir" and go back to gleaning info from here...

Keith Delgado

FY-12 Med Corps Alternate
When I was selected as an alternate last year, I applied to 5 schools. I was accepted to 3. I didn't have the pre reqs for the programs I applied to for the other 2 schools so I wasn't even considered. I don't think getting accepted was the hard part. The hard part was getting a counselor to sit down with you and help you plan your education for the whole time you’re in school! I would apply to schools early!

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
When I was selected as an alternate last year, I applied to 5 schools. I was accepted to 3. I didn't have the pre reqs for the programs I applied to for the other 2 schools so I wasn't even considered. I don't think getting accepted was the hard part. The hard part was getting a counselor to sit down with you and help you plan your education for the whole time you’re in school! I would apply to schools early!

I already have two complete applications currently pending for Texas A&M and University of Texas, but I plan on also submitting an app for Oklahoma University and possibly one more. Yes I plan to cross the red river. Whatever I have to do to pursue my dreams. I also had to correct some info on my apps because they had me listed as applying as a non-resident. Since Texas is still my HOR for tax purposes, I qualify for in-state tuition. SO I had to fill out like 10 pages of questions and mail it in. Theres another 2-3 week delay. This college admission thing is no joke. I wish they had an OPNAVINST to standardize it all. LOL

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I already have two complete applications currently pending for Texas A&M and University of Texas, but I plan on also submitting an app for Oklahoma University and possibly one more. Yes I plan to cross the red river. Whatever I have to do to pursue my dreams. I also had to correct some info on my apps because they had me listed as applying as a non-resident. Since Texas is still my HOR for tax purposes, I qualify for in-state tuition. SO I had to fill out like 10 pages of questions and mail it in. Theres another 2-3 week delay. This college admission thing is no joke. I wish they had an OPNAVINST to standardize it all. LOL

All this talk about schools has me thinking that maybe I should get an application in. I guess it can't hurt. I already attend one of the colleges approved, so I have not been sweating it to much.

Anybody here currently go to, or has attened, the University of South Florida?

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
I would apply for every single school on the list if I had enough money to dish out $75 per application and $12.50 per official transcript. That stuff adds up. not to mention all the essays and other mess that some schools require. Active duty service members who have served at least 4 years of honorable service should automatically be admitted into US Colleges.

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
Looking back, I wish that I had applied to colleges earlier. Getting the degree plan was a major pain in the ass and would have been a lot easier if I had already been accepted to my school. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to produce a degree plan in time due to the sheer unresponsiveness of my college as it tried to process thousands of incoming students.

That being said, I would not waste money applying unless you have a really good shot at getting picked up. It's hard to gauge, I know, but if you read the hot washes and the older precepts, you should have a pretty good idea of how competitive you are. I was not allowed to see my interviews (which is the way it's supposed to be) but if you were able to see them and they were all tens, then that is a good indicator of how strong your package is. Not to stress anyone out, but this will be the most competitive year that STA-21 has seen thus far. Don't waste money on a bunch of colleges if you don't think you have a solid package.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Looking back, I wish that I had applied to colleges earlier. Getting the degree plan was a major pain in the ass and would have been a lot easier if I had already been accepted to my school. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to produce a degree plan in time due to the sheer unresponsiveness of my college as it tried to process thousands of incoming students.

That being said, I would not waste money applying unless you have a really good shot at getting picked up. It's hard to gauge, I know, but if you read the hot washes and the older precepts, you should have a pretty good idea of how competitive you are. I was not allowed to see my interviews (which is the way it's supposed to be) but if you were able to see them and they were all tens, then that is a good indicator of how strong your package is. Not to stress anyone out, but this will be the most competitive year that STA-21 has seen thus far. Don't waste money on a bunch of colleges if you don't think you have a solid package.

Good point. The numbers are low, and the odds are not in everyone's favor. True. Even for myself. My package is better than last year, of course, but I still feel as though it could have been better. I am not about to fork out $60+$275 to UW (one of the schools I would like to go to) before I get selected. However, it wouldn't be bad to at least have a school in the back pocket ready to go, just in case.

Did you hear from somebody "official" that this year was going to be the most competitive year, or are you just gauging from what seems to be almost common sense seeing how the trend has been? I assume its going to be slimmer this year also.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Remember every sailor has ODU in their back pocket if they need to get accepted to a school. I have never heard of them turning down a service member including some with sub 2.00 GPAs from previous college.

hippievan

Is there anyone here that attended or is attending University of Maryland. Accepted to Penn State but looking at other possible schools. I saw that UMD Students have to go to George Washington University for NROTC activities? How does that work out since it is supposed to be a 30-40 min commute from UMD?