• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
Nice move, I bet the guys in previous FYs just cruised in on good looks and shit. :rolleyes:

I hate it when people discredit new guys because it was tougher "way back when". Conversely, I hate it when new guys (especially those who haven't been selected yet) do the same thing.

I don't think he meant any offense by it. Take my option for instance, a few cycles ago there were 4 slots, and only 2 qualified applicants. Last year there was 1 slot and 7 qualified applicants. Now it's not taking anything away from that first batch of guys to say that the difficulty to get selected has increased based on the percentage selected from year to year. Just a statistical fact.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Maybe. However, the statement was written (using your example above) like the two guys a few cycles ago don't have much to offer compared to the one guy last year. I'm willing to bet that strong CO recommendations and sustained superior performance have been selection criteria since STA-21 inception.

hippievan

FY-13 STA-21 CEC Applicant
Maybe. However, the statement was written (using your example above) like the two guys a few cycles ago don't have much to offer compared to the one guy last year. I'm willing to bet that strong CO recommendations and sustained superior performance have been selection criteria since STA-21 inception.
Hey now, there was nothing to be taken away from prior selects. They obviously are very strong candidates, if I believed in what you think I believed in, then I would have completely disregarded there packages. This is not the case, I paid very code attention to all the mustangs package's at my command and this back when it was ECP from 99 and 01. Whats funny is not a lot has changed, only numbers of those selected.

Thank you breadandbutter; I was only referring to the fact that is best to pay close attention to current selectees because board preferences may shift around from year to year because of funding and other externalities.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
My two cents on recent/past selectees: The process to go from selectee-OC-ENS does a pretty good job of weeding out the marginal guys whether they get kicked out for military related items or hang themselves with long leash of personal freedoms they get while in STA. I know of at least 5 guys just from my BOOST class that didn't make it to commission. I can tell you the guys still on here are the ones that took the program serious and grew a ton as person/military member making them a much better officer than they would have been when they first stepped on OTC-Newport.

hippievan

First off I am sorry that you two are so sensitive on this subject, what are still trying to prove? You both made it congratulations! Do you two honestly believe you are better than all applicants or current selectees? There are so many different people to learn from because everyone can see it form a different light, and I am sorry if you have something against that. If you are so concerned with applicants getting information from different sources, why don't you two post some positive help. If you look through most of your post, you two are consistently trying to school us, or casting judgement on decisions we have made.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I would caution you on getting so defensive and calling out higher ranking guys who whether you believe it or not are trying to help. My initial post on this subject about 10 or so replies up was meant to reiterate there is no special recipe to getting selected. I was trying to let applicants on here who haven't had access to prior selectees know they aren't at a disadvantage in a way. You all know what things are looked highly upon in the military. Besides seeing how a properly put together package is formatted I don't think you are going to gain anything by looking at another package. If you disagree with that provide concrete examples of how you believe it did give you a leg up. Until you do that you are coming off as a hot head, which will not do you well in your quest to earn a commission. In my opinion you aren't going to find anything you haven't thought of already except maybe a zinger of a paragraph in the personal statement you want to use.

hippievan

I would caution you on getting so defensive and calling out higher ranking guys who whether you believe it or not are trying to help. My initial post on this subject about 10 or so replies up was meant to reiterate there is no special recipe to getting selected. I was trying to let applicants on here who haven't had access to prior selectees know they aren't at a disadvantage in a way. You all know what things are looked highly upon in the military. Besides seeing how a properly put together package is formatted I don't think you are going to gain anything by looking at another package. If you disagree with that provide concrete examples of how you believe it did give you a leg up. Until you do that you are coming off as a hot head, which will not do you well in your quest to earn a commission. In my opinion you aren't going to find anything you haven't thought of already except maybe a zinger of a paragraph in the personal statement you want to use.
In no way did I ever state that I was having a leg up of other applicants, nor did I with hold any information. I have only offered what I have discovered as an opinion, and cautioned everyone to take it for what it's worth. Is the defensive comments that have come from both you and wlarw005 that have began this charade. Remember that respect is a two way street and that this forum is very informal, and if you wish to play rank, against a senior enlisted member, then I will honor you wishes. However this shall be my last comment towards all this nonsense.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
First off I am sorry that you two are so sensitive on this subject, what are still trying to prove? You both made it congratulations! Do you two honestly believe you are better than all applicants or current selectees? There are so many different people to learn from because everyone can see it form a different light, and I am sorry if you have something against that. If you are so concerned with applicants getting information from different sources, why don't you two post some positive help. If you look through most of your post, you two are consistently trying to school us, or casting judgement on decisions we have made.

If you think getting selected is the end of trying to prove yourself in this program, then you have been misinformed. Nobody is discrediting your fact finding, however it was YOU who claimed to discredit certain selectees yourself in your earlier post. After talking further about it, it has been shown that you don't necessarily believe what you initially claimed regarding the application standards of prior STA-21 selectees. Additionally, this is far from an informal forum. If you care to argue that fact as well, I would caution you to reread the forum rules.

I think you have taken us the wrong way, and us you. Let's move on from here before it degrades any further.