• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

bb1787

Just a note to those who are fretting how many college credits they already have, this was my first time applying and I got picked up for pilot. I also failed out of college prior to joining the Navy and only have 31 credits.

If you take the full 36 months in college taking the minimum load required by STA-21 you'll accumulate 126 credits. The average bachelor's degree is 120 credits, give or take a few.

Don't let it discourage you and make sure you have good evals and a strong personal statement. I don't know how much weight it carried in my package but I was recommended for STA-21 on my last 3 evals.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
Suny

This is from my wife

----------------
Is there anyone on your board who is at SUNY? We need to know what places cost there. I looked up BAH and it's close to 3000 but how much does an apt cost there?
----------------

EmilyRose

Just wanted to say thanks to those that gave me info about SDSU. I went there yesterday to turn in my husband's paperwork and get info about registering and choosing a major and Susan Naiman was an angel. She sat there with me for almost an hour going over everything step by step so I know what to do to get everything fixed for him before he comes home from deployment. I'm nowhere near as overwhelmed as I was before. Good Luck to everyone as you get your stuff together! :)

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
If you take the full 36 months in college taking the minimum load required by STA-21 you'll accumulate 126 credits. The average bachelor's degree is 120 credits, give or take a few.

The minimum for STA-21 is 15 credit hours per semester last time I checked. Plus 6 hours over each summer.

(15)(2 semesters per yr)(3 years) + (6 hrs per summer)(3 summers) = 108 hours.

Most engineering degrees are from the mid 120's up. Mine is 132. It can be done, I'll graduate next year, but I had several semesters at 18 or 19 hours, and a lot of the technical degree seekers here have taken 9 to 12 hours over the summers to get where they needed to go. Its always best to try to transfer whatever you can in, and CLEP out of anything they'll take.

Just my 2 cents.

advantix00

This is from my wife

----------------
Is there anyone on your board who is at SUNY? We need to know what places cost there. I looked up BAH and it's close to 3000 but how much does an apt cost there?
----------------
you can always try apartments.com and put in the zipcode, etc.. to see what stuff is going for around there.

EM3

FY10 Core Selectee
This is from my wife

----------------
----------------

I am from New York and is very likily to go to Maritime. A decent apartment in the Bronx in a quiet neighborhood cost $1600 plus. But you can venture out to certain parts of Queens to rent one floor of a house for about the same price. Maritime has a student housing office(browse the website and look under student services), maybe they can be of some help.

If you are STA-21 you are not required to live on campus. I toured the school and liked the campus so I wouldn't mind, but I had imagine it is quite different for someone who is married.

BOaB

Any body else being told by their command that they have to apply to one of the guaranteed admission schools (ie: SUNY)?

I really have no desire whatsoever to even chance moving my wife and kids NY (we're rednecks at heart).

I'm planning on applying to the Citadel as my 1st and Auburn as my 2nd. Is there any reason to believe I won't be staying in Charleston?

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
Semester requirement are different depending on your unit. ODU's ROTC requires 12 credit hours in summer for example.

The minimum for STA-21 is 15 credit hours per semester last time I checked. Plus 6 hours over each summer.

(15)(2 semesters per yr)(3 years) + (6 hrs per summer)(3 summers) = 108 hours.

Most engineering degrees are from the mid 120's up. Mine is 132. It can be done, I'll graduate next year, but I had several semesters at 18 or 19 hours, and a lot of the technical degree seekers here have taken 9 to 12 hours over the summers to get where they needed to go. Its always best to try to transfer whatever you can in, and CLEP out of anything they'll take.

Just my 2 cents.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
ODU's ROTC requires 12 credit hours in summer for example.
True, but you can run a request chit to take less, and lots of folks do. I wound up taking Calc and Phys at the same time, and I'm mathtarded. So on those semesters, i requested to take 12 credit hours, and they let me. Summers were closer to 6 and 9. The important thing is getting your degree in the time allotted, and not going over.

p.s. At ODU, the summer semester is broken up into pieces. If you can suffer though taking all of your summer classes in the very first or last half of the summer, you wind up with 6 weeks off, aside from PT and picnics.

p.p.s. Summer Phys is a cakewalk compared to regular semester Phys, PM me for details.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
Yea, 2 seconda after the results came out, my old CO emailed me saying congrats....
I have yet to even get a congrats in the P-Way from my current CO...

ELT(SS)

Any body else being told by their command that they have to apply to one of the guaranteed admission schools (ie: SUNY)?

I really have no desire whatsoever to even chance moving my wife and kids NY (we're rednecks at heart).

I'm planning on applying to the Citadel as my 1st and Auburn as my 2nd. Is there any reason to believe I won't be staying in Charleston?
I got picked up from there. They always freak out a little bit when the deadlines get close. Even if you leave one orders to The Citadel, you can change at NSI. They probably don't want all 200 people doing that, but we had several. As long as you get all of your paperwork from your preferred school that is where you will go. The only reason Charleston is making you apply to a guarantee school is so that you will have something to turn in so you don't lose your spot.

Leave? What is that? I beleive I have 65 days of leave left... but it did make me laugh when I read that ;O)

Anyways I was wondering, a lot of people who applied for pilot, were called up asking if they would still accept the program if they selected NFO.
Was just wondering, of those people that got calls, if you said yes did they swap you? and if they said no did you get picked up?
Just wondering what that was all about.

I was one of the people called to switch to NFO in late September. I said yes and swtiched figuring it meant I did not get picked up for Pilot. It helped a little beings I got picked as an NFO alternate. Not the best outcome but better than a non-selection. Any NFO selectees not going...?

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Semester requirement are different depending on your unit. ODU's ROTC requires 12 credit hours in summer for example.
Maybe your unit sets that, but the official regulation (the Regulations for Officer Development, COMNAVSERTRACOM Instruction 1533.2) only requires the minimum full time enrollment for summer semesters, which is 6 semester hours (looking at ODU's website, they say six is full time over the summer as well-same metric the VA uses for vets in determining summer sull time enrollment. It's the standard.).

IMO requiring 12 credits over the summer is rough (and I believe here requires a Deans signature) as it is the eqiuvalent of 24 in a normal semester.