• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

davebomb25

Maybe some prior selects can help me out here. I was selected for Pilot and I have submitted all my required documents to the STA-21 office, degree plan and all. The website shows my physicals have been sent to BUMED. How long does it usually take for BUMED and NOMI to approve and verify the physical forms and for it to show a qualified status?

Also, even though the STA-21 office has my degree plan and acceptance letter, my profile on the website still says that I have not been assigned and my degree plan has not yet been reviewed. Is this because they wait until they find out if you are physically qualified before they place you?

ETnukeSWOhpeful

Odu

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew how ODU was doing on spots avail for the FY10 class... I'll be doing Feb NSI so I'll be starting the 2010 semester so I was curious if anyone knew if I have my app in now, awaiting my acceptance letter if I'll be likely to get in... I'm stressed it will fill up... Did it fill up last year?

At what point can I be certain that I have a spot at ODU? When I get my orders? When I turn in my acceptance letter? I already told Mr Straten that's where I intend to go but I'm sure that's not worth squat.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Maybe some prior selects can help me out here. I was selected for Pilot and I have submitted all my required documents to the STA-21 office, degree plan and all. The website shows my physicals have been sent to BUMED. How long does it usually take for BUMED and NOMI to approve and verify the physical forms and for it to show a qualified status?

Last year it took forever for the physicals to be reviewed and officially "qualified". That was due to somebody either taking leave , getting sick, long vacations, etc. (all after STA results came out and prior to deadline to submit documents) which caused NOMI to become extremely backed up. NOMI just doesn't review STA-21 physicals, they do the Academy, OCS, and any other physical that comes there way. So to answer your question, it does take a while (it did for my FY anyways).

I'm not big on calling and bugging people about doing their job but you might want to on this. I called them last year and they found my SNA physical under a stack of paperwork because they needed me to fax in my date of HIV testing. Nobody told me they needed this so I don't know what would have happened if I would have just waited it out.

Reactions: EM1

BOaB

I got picked up from there. They always freak out a little bit when the deadlines get close. Even if you leave one orders to The Citadel, you can change at NSI. They probably don't want all 200 people doing that, but we had several. As long as you get all of your paperwork from your preferred school that is where you will go. The only reason Charleston is making you apply to a guarantee school is so that you will have something to turn in so you don't lose your spot.

Thanks man. That's definitely good for the peace of mind. I'm one of those gluttons for punishment who actually wants to go to the Citadel, so it's good to know that everything should work out fine. I'm applying to Auburn anyway just in case something were to happen.

Anyone else apply to AU? Looking at their bulletin, I cannot figure out which classes can be taken during the Summer...

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
Does anybody know when the Cycle 204 advancement results come out?

Subject: Cycle 204 Results

Good morning All,

Wanted
to give you all a head's up, hopefully to make our lives a little
easier. Results will be out as soon after Thanksgiving as possible.

Everyone from DC to NETPDTC are working to get these results out to our Sailors.

Have a great weekend.

NETPDTC TEAM N321

850-452-1252

Helobound

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
A little additional info as well...

Subj: OFFICIAL MAIL MESSAGE #066-09 ABILITY OF SERVICE MEMBERS TO
SIMULTANEOUSLY USE TITLE 10 AND MGIB FUNDS FOR EDUCATIONAL COURSES
1. The purpose of this OPMIS is to pass on the legal opinion on a service
member's ability to use both Navy and Veterans Affairs (VA) educational
benefits at the same time, but only for different courses not covered by
military service educational funds.

2. The Navy's Seaman to Admiral 21 (STA-21) Program pays selected enlisted
service members up to $10,000 annually to attend college full time and earn
a degree, on the condition that they will then serve the Navy for an agreed
upon period of time. Unfortunately, this Navy scholarship is not always
sufficient to pay for all courses needed to fulfill degree requirements.
The question then arises as to whether the service member can use Montgomery
GI Bill (MGIB) benefits from the VA (Chapter 30 of Title 38) to pay for
courses after the service member's STA-21 funds are exhausted.
3. The VA's Office of the General Counsel (OGC) has answered this question
in the affirmative. It has issued a legal opinion authorizing use of both
types of funds so long as payment is for different courses and not combined
to pay for the same course. The VA concluded that while 38 U.S.C §
3681(a)(1) bars concurrent use of funds from both the MGIB and DoD programs
like STA-21 to pay for the same course, it does not bar concurrent payment
from both sources for different courses that are part of a program of
education.
4. Should units have any further questions concerning this or any other
matter concerning the coordination of benefits under our respective
organizations, feel free to contact NSTC Code OD4, specifically Major James
Stanley directly at (850) 452-4962 or e-mail james.l.stanley2@navy.mil.

/s/
C. J. STEIN
NROTC
Program Manager

Thanks a million for this post.... it seems that any school I look at, even with in-state tuition is still a few thousand dollars over our limit without the GI bill to help.

SpeedMojo

Alright guys and girls.....here's a dousy. Anybody pilot selectees catch the disparity on sta-21's website - age limits on "pilot option" vs "opnavinst 1420.1A". One states age max is 29 w/ waivers while the other states 31. I might change my degree if I have more time to complete, but kinda need the info. Don't hold out. 5000 points and a snickers bar for the first to answer.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
29 for pilot. The 1420.1A is under revision, so the website is the "correct" one, although since the website has also been under revision lately it could have errors too.

The age limit for guys in OCS is 27, with waivers 'till 29 right now as well. It's a Navy limitation, not just a STA-21 thing.

Datkanwel

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
I understand the age limit, and knew it before I applied. I wrote in my personal statement that I would need an age waiver if accepted. I'm now accepted, but don't know if I need to write a waiver, or am I atomatically given one because it was in the personal statement? Any help on the matter is appreciated.

haubby

None
Contributor
I understand the age limit, and knew it before I applied. I wrote in my personal statement that I would need an age waiver if accepted. I'm now accepted, but don't know if I need to write a waiver, or am I atomatically given one because it was in the personal statement? Any help on the matter is appreciated.

It's automatic. Just ensure you can graduate before your 29th birthday.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
Just Wondering

Has anyone received anything, like a package, or a letter, from STA-21. Other than the navadmin that tells us we were selected?

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Does it go to the command address? Also does it get sent to alternates? I will have to work with my YNC stateside to get it forwarded.