• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

robertdm27

Question for all of the prior selected on here: What is the longest you have seen a guy go before turning in his physicals. I am pending a waiver for mine and can not get it until February. I know they will work with you but to how far out. Also how common is it for them to just call up and alternate?

robertdm27

Wizard, They say I have to wait 3 months after surgery to be cleared because its for an aviation physical. right now in STA-21's eyes I am NPQed so I understand it but not really sure. I am getting the PRK done on Monday though. I put in my personal statement and my CO endorsement that I needed a PRk waiver and they still selected me so something has got to give right?

OC/EMC

Leave? What is that? I beleive I have 65 days of leave left... but it did make me laugh when I read that ;O)

Have you thought about selling some back when you reenlist for STA-21? You cannot sell leave back as an officer and I don't know many people who leave ROTC units with less leave than when they transferred in. Just something to think about. My CO recommend it when I got selected and it helped pay for my books and other miscellaneous fees until I was reimbursed. I'd hate to see you have to take/lose leave at your unit when everyone else is doing once a week phone musters over Christmas break.

First time applicant

This is my first time applying to STA21. Im doing the pilot option. I have a few questions. I have my private pilot license, how much is that going to help me? I was also a push button E-4 because I was Number 1 outta a school. Carry any weight? This seems uber competetive.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
In the NAVADMIN it states that we are not to pursue degree plans until we have our "Letter indicating University start date".... Are the "letters" they are refering to our Acceptance letters from the university? or the "SEPCOR" from STA-21? if we know our NSI date- we can pretty much go off of that right? My NSI date is 16 May 2010 - 9 July 2010.... so I can start my degree plan for the same timeframe as my acceptance to the university: FALL 2010, correct?

You are correct. That's in the NAVADMIN to make sure people know when they will be starting before they work on their degree plans. The letter they refer to and the SEPCOR are the same thing. Look over what the school gives you closely too, especially if you are on a tight timeline. In my case, I got a degree plan, but it had listed some classes that weren't offered during the times they were in the plan (ex: it had me taking Physics II over the summer, when in fact the Physics Dept here only offers it in the spring and the fall). Check it all out as thoroughly as you can so you can make an informed decision about what you want to study. It probably would have saved me a 19 hr semester or two had I looked closely.

Congrats, and good luck

Helobound

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
You are correct. That's in the NAVADMIN to make sure people know when they will be starting before they work on their degree plans. The letter they refer to and the SEPCOR are the same thing. Look over what the school gives you closely too, especially if you are on a tight timeline. In my case, I got a degree plan, but it had listed some classes that weren't offered during the times they were in the plan (ex: it had me taking Physics II over the summer, when in fact the Physics Dept here only offers it in the spring and the fall). Check it all out as thoroughly as you can so you can make an informed decision about what you want to study. It probably would have saved me a 19 hr semester or two had I looked closely.

Congrats, and good luck

Thanks a million!

Killer Causey

This is my first time applying to STA21. Im doing the pilot option. I have a few questions. I have my private pilot license, how much is that going to help me? I was also a push button E-4 because I was Number 1 outta a school. Carry any weight? This seems uber competetive.

Ive applied three times with a private pilots license, EP's all the way. Strong ASTB scores. Solid recommendations, and great board sheet write ups. None of these factors really seemed to "help me". This program is more than uber competetive. Honestly I don't know what they look for specifically. I can't really think of much that could have put me back this year. Needless to say ill be trying again for the forth time next cycle.

I can tell that from what I was told from several Naval pilots, being a prior private pilots helps get things moving alot faster in API and some of the other initial pilot training courses you will take as a SNA.

hmx1ch53

First of all good luck. I applied for pilot first time this year and got picked up... I have my Private pilot's license, EP/MP/EP, made E-5 in 18 months, 1260 SAT.... Despite all that, I think that the reason I got selected was the fact that I had my Associate's with about 32 credits left for my BS... I think that is the key factor, because that means the Navy should only have to pay out for one year... Itsa good investment b/c theyre saving money... bottom line is cash!!! lol Get as much school in as you can, and that documented AS is a huge contiributor.

wikidtwidget

even if I only needed 3 credits to get my degree I would major in something completely new and spend the whole 3 years at school. 3 years of shore duty this easy is not something to pass up lightly.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
I thought officers could still sell back leave when they were honorably discharged... I will have to look into this. Thanks for the heads up.

Killer Causey

First of all good luck. I applied for pilot first time this year and got picked up... I have my Private pilot's license, EP/MP/EP, made E-5 in 18 months, 1260 SAT.... Despite all that, I think that the reason I got selected was the fact that I had my Associate's with about 32 credits left for my BS... I think that is the key factor, because that means the Navy should only have to pay out for one year... Itsa good investment b/c theyre saving money... bottom line is cash!!! lol Get as much school in as you can, and that documented AS is a huge contiributor.

I only need about 5 courses to complete an AA, I am working a plan to knock those out within the next 6 months hopefully (8 week courses). I am going to retake the SAT at the begining of the year and possible try to do better on the ASTB. I resently injured myself but as soon I can I plan on getting into some community service. Does anyone else have any recommendations for a 4th time applicant? I am open to anything at this point. Thanks.

EM3

FY10 Core Selectee
I only need about 5 courses to complete an AA, I am working a plan to knock those out within the next 6 months hopefully (8 week courses). I am going to retake the SAT at the begining of the year and possible try to do better on the ASTB. I resently injured myself but as soon I can I plan on getting into some community service. Does anyone else have any recommendations for a 4th time applicant? I am open to anything at this point. Thanks.

I am a first time applicant and can't pretend to know a lot of the process. I think many other selectees here would also say that even though they worked hard and were prepared there are others who worked harder and more prepared but were not picked up. So I feel there is some luck involved in this selection process.

Speaking strictly from my own experience, the most important part was the personal statement. I am an E4 with 3 years in, no warfare pin, eval MP/MP/EP, PRT outstanding low/medium, 90+ college credit, SAT 800 Math/680 Verbal. But when I went through the boards, I was always asked about my essay. In fact, the essay SHAPED my external board, in that except for a few general questions, everything was about what I have mentioned in my essay.

Now, I am by no means a great writer. But I put a lot of thoughts into the personal statement. When the first draft is complete, I edited it about 5 times over the next month. Then I took the essay to at least 10 different people for critics and suggestions. The end product reads nothing like the original yet conveyed MY ideas better than I could have done.

Hope that helps in some way.

OscarMyers

None
Ive applied three times with a private pilots license, EP's all the way. Strong ASTB scores. Solid recommendations, and great board sheet write ups. None of these factors really seemed to "help me". This program is more than uber competetive. Honestly I don't know what they look for specifically. I can't really think of much that could have put me back this year. Needless to say ill be trying again for the forth time next cycle.

I can tell that from what I was told from several Naval pilots, being a prior private pilots helps get things moving alot faster in API and some of the other initial pilot training courses you will take as a SNA.

Yeah ive heard the stick and rudder skills and the radio skills are a big plus. Less time worrying about that stuff and more time learning tactics and so forth. I dont think have your Certificate is a tie breaker by any means. They re looking at the whole sailor. Are you volunteering and going the extra mile to help others. participating even leading command functions. IE MWR, Community relations projects, air shows stuff like that. Thats the kind of stuff i had and i got picked up this year. Also college courses. Remember theyre looking for someone who they know can complete a Degree in less then three years.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
Just did 6 skydives from a helo at "work" today... it was awesome...

Now, to get some acceptance letters...

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
So, is SUNY like the Citadel--as in, do you wear uniforms everyday? If you're married, do you have to live in base housing?