• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

Datkanwel

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
I've been really trying to figure this stuff out, so I went straight to the source. This is from the summary of the NDAA 2010:

Section 503 -
Excludes active-duty service after January 1, 2011, while pursuing a degree under the Navy's Seaman to Admiral program from the computation of years of service as an officer for voluntary retirement purposes, but counts such service in the computation of years of active-duty officer service for all other purposes.

It looks to me like the date given means for EVERYONE, including the guys that are already in the program and will graduate spring of 2011. If I'm reading this wrong, let me know.

EmilyRose

SDSU's batallion spots arent full. If it is your first choice, have your husband call Susan Neiman @ 6195940744. she is the STA-21 contact at SDSU. She will help get your application prepped, pushed through (there are different procedures for STA applicants) and then she will get the acceptance and your degree plan worked out with/for you asap. You can contact her before you know if you are accepted. I did. She is very helpful and knows what exactly they need from you to get it done.

Also if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

I will email him that number tonight so he can call her in the morning (tomorrow night for him). He's on the Nimitz, in the ocean somewhere. Thanks, I might be messaging you if he has any more questions. I'm like his secretary right now. :D

Helobound

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
For those of you trying to get into OU, i have some useful info..... I just spoke with the NROTC side there yesterday. The POC for STA-21 applicants and selectees is LT. Huber. His office phone number is 405-325-0119. There is also a recruiter that works in there that answered all of my questions. Seems very knowledgeable. I was also seeking the aviation major and he told me the same thing that many others have heard, and that is..... yes it is very possible to leave with your private pilot's license. Good luck all and i hope to join you at OU as it is also my first choice.

I applied today online, and got all my College Transcripts and ACT scores sent into the Office of Admissions.... do I need to do anything with the NROTC unit until we get results?

ELT(SS)

I had to apply for cross town enrollment at Regis University instead of U of Colorado (even though they are not even in the same city). Does anyone know how that works? Do I just drill randomly or what is the usual operation with the cross-town enrollment? Also, does anyone have any contacts for the U of Colorado?
In San Diego we do everything on the same day. We have one school that is about 30 miles away, but the others are all pretty close. I don't know how they do things there though.

MR1(SW)-->ENS

FY-10 STA-21 Core Selectee
FYI to all interested in SUNY MARITIME

Good Afternoon:

At SUNY Maritime, you would be considered a transfer student when you apply, although we quickly change that to STA-21 if you are accepted to the program by the Navy. If you are accepted for the STA-21 program, you are automatically given an acceptance letter and degree plan by Maritime College.

Feel free to call or email me with further questions.

Sincerely,

Matthew Garofalow
Assistant Director of Admissions
STA-21 Liaison
Transfer Coordinator
SUNY Maritime College
718-409-2866
mgarofalow@sunymaritime.edu

just applied last night......now lets see if results come out before my CPO results come out and see what i'll be doing

Navnuke

Ok, so all of you applicants sending in applications to your "prospective colleges may be wasting your money. I understand you all want to get a jump on getting everything ready, but you're probably wasting $150-200 on applying wthout even knowing if you'll be accepted to the program. It's like buy a sound system for a car you hope you're going to win in a raffle. Trust me, wait til you find out first. Have the applications filled out and ready to go, but wait for the results. There is plenty of time for applications after results, just get ahold of the school's ROTC program and they can "speed up" the process. By waiting until you get into STA-21, you are then applying to the school with a guaranteed tuition check and they kinda like that a little more than someone who is "hoping to get into this program."

3rdtimer

I just said I was already accepted in my application. They won't know the difference. If I'm not accepted into STA-21 it won't matter what I tell them becasue I'm not going to college anyway at that point.

Woody4SC

Ok, so all of you applicants sending in applications to your "prospective colleges may be wasting your money. I understand you all want to get a jump on getting everything ready, but you're probably wasting $150-200 on applying wthout even knowing if you'll be accepted to the program. It's like buy a sound system for a car you hope you're going to win in a raffle. Trust me, wait til you find out first. Have the applications filled out and ready to go, but wait for the results. There is plenty of time for applications after results, just get ahold of the school's ROTC program and they can "speed up" the process. By waiting until you get into STA-21, you are then applying to the school with a guaranteed tuition check and they kinda like that a little more than someone who is "hoping to get into this program."

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks this way. Yeah I've already got the contact info for the ROTC people I need to talk to. It just didn't make much sense to potentially waste the money on a hope that I will get lucky.

AM2

I applied today online, and got all my College Transcripts and ACT scores sent into the Office of Admissions.... do I need to do anything with the NROTC unit until we get results?

The way i understood it was no. There should not be anything that you need to do until the results come out. I think you are already way ahead of the curve. Do keep in contact with them regularly on the NROTC side, it can only keep things running smoothly for you.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
You may think we are wasting money now, but when everyone is running around like they have lost their heads people may view it differently. People had issues with acceptance letters last year while having almost a whole extra month...do the math. Also if someone is an alternate, it is even more important that they get theirs in first.

I look at it as insurance....plus I am not going to be stateside to be able to do the applications.

My EAOS is in July anyhow so it could turn out to not be wasted :)

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
No there is not plenty of time for the application after selection. With MANY colleges it takes bare minimum one month to hear back. Last year (as with every other year) there were people who could not get orders cut because they college took 2 months or more to send acceptance letters back, then they end up in a situation where they get orders in hand only a few weeks or days before transfer. Schools do not care one bit about your selection status with admission, no where on any of the 3 applications I filled out was there any info pertaining to STA-21. You want to be a Naval Officer, be proactive, you know if you are selected you need to be accepted into college, you know selection takes ample time, think ahead. If if you aren't selected this year, you can defer applications.

mikltk

FY10 STA-21 Applicant
I'm about to lose my mind waiting for these results!! Just got told I have orders to leave for New York in the next 2 weeks and still NOTHING from STA-21... ARGH!!!!!:indiffere

BOaB

Schools do not care one bit about your selection status with admission, no where on any of the 3 applications I filled out was there any info pertaining to STA-21.

The Citadel does. They have a STA-21 specific application which requires STA acceptance paperwork as part of it.

By no means am I trying to enter into the little squabble going on, just trying to present information to people who may not have yet applied that you got all freaked out because they're behind the 8ball.

For most schools, I agree, you should probably go ahead and put your application in 3 weeks ago.