• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

Cleonard19

Contributor
Someone with their own safety bunker needs to start the spoof "results are out thread" Last year, results refused to come out until someone on AW caused mass heart attacks...

3rdtimer

Hey 3rd Timer,
I applied to UW Madison but chose ODU instead... are you from Wisconsin?

Ya, I am. I'm really hoping to go to school somewhere in Wisco. It's boring and the weather blows but it's where my wife and I's fam is at. I wish I could move them to San Dog and go to UCSD. That would be the shizzit.

20 bucks says the results don't come out this week.

Woody4SC

Yup... And the frustration is shown in more than one form... Some express it through sarcastic remarks while others show it under the guise of concern for the working hour.

Don't know about the rest but I post here in my down time (a.k.a when I'm home) but yeah get out there y'all and go do sweepers or something. Make sure you stay gainfully employed until someone comes to tell you the results. (no sarcasm whatsoever... Hahaha)

S8G2F18

And another question I remembered....

Does being in an undermanned rate hurt your chances? I'm a nuke ET and I know atleast on carriers were quite undermanned. Anyone know if they take this into account when selecting OC's?

I'm an RO also, 3363 and 9502. I don't think they do take it into account. The board members job is to select the best candidates, not worry about enlisted rating manning. There is nothing more important than the future naval leadership (That's the party line).

If it did matter, they would say we were ineligible for the program, like they do with flying CWO.

The only obstacle it presents is within your command. They don't want to lose you. Every one of my interview boards.. even my external with non-nukes.. asked me why I didn't want to go drive a submarine. As long as you have a good answer I don't think it's going to hurt you.

3rdtimer

I would ask the college, it depends on if you go to BOOST or NSI. NSI only starts in the summer, BOOST starts in the Fall. Some schools require Spring admittance to attend summer sessions, whereas some don't care. The most difficult part of this program is trying to figure all of this out, it seems as if nobody has any idea what to do with STA-21 people. It is liberating and horrible at the same time. This is most likely one of the better, if not best, places for info, but always double check everything on your own, because things change so fast and often a lot of my info might be outdated.

So....should people apply for summer or fall terms? I applied for Fall 2010. Hope it's not to late to change.

timmyhoffa

FY-12 SWO/ED Selectee
I'm an RO also, 3363 and 9502. I don't think they do take it into account. The board members job is to select the best candidates, not worry about enlisted rating manning. There is nothing more important than the future naval leadership (That's the party line).

If it did matter, they would say we were ineligible for the program, like they do with flying CWO.

The only obstacle it presents is within your command. They don't want to lose you. Every one of my interview boards.. even my external with non-nukes.. asked me why I didn't want to go drive a submarine. As long as you have a good answer I don't think it's going to hurt you.

I think it's a little more political than that. I've had friends that were picked up for MECP and OCS that were not released from our program. For whatever reason, I've never seen an issue with STA-21.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
You should apply for summer, because a summer app (once accepted) can be deferred to the fall should you go to spring/summer NSI. If you contact admissions, it shouldn't be an issue to change.
So....should people apply for summer or fall terms? I applied for Fall 2010. Hope it's not to late to change.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
University of Colorado

Does anyone have experience applying with University of Colorado? What is the wait time for an acceptance letter? How is their NROTC unit?

I applied to University of Colorado Boulder (for summer 10, but told them that I probably would not start till fall 10).
I checked about a week ago my status, and it says I have been accepted, and paperwork is being sent to me with more information. That being said, it still took about a month for all my paperwork to arrive there and for them to go over it all.
I talked to a representative earlier (when I discussed the summer/fall issue) and they told me, this early in the game, I would probably get a pretty quick turn around on knowing if I was accepted, but getting around march/april for summer would take awhile.
I hope that helps at all, sorry if it was confusing, new to this college thing too =)

ETnukeSWOhpeful

Also,
If selected, when do I transfer off the ship... I understand there are two sessions, Feb and April or something like that right so if my ship is going on deployment in early early January (for OPSEC reasons, totally hypothetical...) how much deployment would I see... hypothetically?

Thanks for all the awesome info, should have not been so lazy and registered a while ago.

And when would I expect to start school and what do you do in the time between if any?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
So I've been watching this forum for a while and have received some great advice. Thanks for that.

Should I have already submitted my application letter for my college? I would assume it doesn't hurt but am I screwed if I haven't?

Anyone know the odds of getting into ODU (with ROTC considerations)? That's my first choice since my house is already here since I'm currently stationed on the IKE. I would hate to have to go to U of V when it's 2 hours away from my house...

I had a million questions but can't remember them after the registration process... Are you all mostly going for Pilot/NFO? Heard that's pretty tough to get into, good luck to all. Hopefully SWO is easy this year...

Anyone know how likely it is to get CORE (my 2nd choice) if I don't get SWO? Just curious what the likelihood of that would be.

I'll post more if I think of them. Thanks for any help.

If you get accepted to STA-21, you will more than qualify for admission to ODU.

wikidtwidget

Also,
If selected, when do I transfer off the ship... I understand there are two sessions, Feb and April or something like that right so if my ship is going on deployment in early early January (for OPSEC reasons, totally hypothetical...) how much deployment would I see... hypothetically?

Thanks for all the awesome info, should have not been so lazy and registered a while ago.

And when would I expect to start school and what do you do in the time between if any?
When I transferred off USS Last Ship they left for deployment in Mid-April and I went up to Newport in Mid-May. The XO wanted to make me ride to Spain but the rest of my COC said they didnt need me and let me stay behind. So for you going on deployment, it is pretty much up to your COC as long as they can get you home in time.

Also for ODU, I dont think they have ever turned away a military transfer student. It takes a week or 2 to get the acceptance letter. I hand-walked my stuf into the admissions office though so I would get it back a little quicker.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Anyone else have an issue with BOL where after you put in your username and password and click submit, the box comes up, you hit okay, but the page never advances?

wikidtwidget

I mean as far as how much room do they have, do they fill up? (At ODU)

I dont think they fill up. There was one guy at NSI that got told he was going to a school in New York even though he wanted the one in South Carolina. He had turned in degree plans for both. ODU wont fill up though, most people wanted to get away from the Navy for the few years they could.