• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

mc6

I'm sure most of you have seen it, but the Fleet Brief on the STA-21 website has some great info. Slide 44 has the FY08 and FY09 selection numbers...

Also, another thing to consider to help strengthen your package is an IA. It's another check in the box, and the Navy is focusing on it a lot these days. I went to the STA-21 brief in Norfolk last year and they were stressing IAs quite a bit. Just an idea for someone who might want to get more leadership experience and awards to strengthen their package for the future.

mc6

Here is a question for the guys who are in the program already. I am married and have a newborn son, currently stationed in Washington State. If I get picked up, what happens with them while I am at NSI?

I'm not in the program...but from what I've heard, you are required to live in the barracks during NSI. I'm sure you will still get your regular BAH, but if you want them to move close to Newport, you will probably have to pay for it and you will not be able to stay with them. I'm sure the Navy will pay to move your family to the location of your college though.

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
Here is a question for the guys who are in the program already. I am married and have a newborn son, currently stationed in Washington State. If I get picked up, what happens with them while I am at NSI?

I got picked up for the FY08 cycle.

Your family will stay behind and not accompany you. You should still get BAH for your last command, as you'll be TAD to NSI.

After NSI, you can relocated them to where your school is. I found a school in my town, so it was a cheap move for me. I hope this helps

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
I'm not in the program...but from what I've heard, you are required to live in the barracks during NSI. I'm sure you will still get your regular BAH, but if you want them to move close to Newport, you will probably have to pay for it and you will not be able to stay with them. I'm sure the Navy will pay to move your family to the location of your college though.

All true, but don't bother moving them out there with you. You wouldn't get to see them for the first few weeks anyway. Just leave them in WA, it's only 8 weeks on the Narragassett Bay.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
Now, what about if you're overseas? Is it the same? If so, is my wife going to sit around with no HHG or anything for 8 weeks since we would of already done our packout and vehicle shipment? I thought once you get orders... you can move your family to the school's location while you go to NSI.

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
Now, what about if you're overseas? Is it the same? If so, is my wife going to sit around with no HHG or anything for 8 weeks since we would of already done our packout and vehicle shipment? I thought once you get orders... you can move your family to the school's location while you go to NSI.

It will be in your orders if you can or not. I know some of the folks have that situation in my division, but I didn't have to deal with that and i don't want to give you bad gouge. The specifics as far as an overseas family move is not one I can help out with. Sorry. Anyone who has, please chime in, or try a search from the previous years threads (I'm not sure they are still up, but do a search anyway).

Just know that I know they had their family there for graduation, and I'd assume (you know what that means) provisions are made within the orders.

Bill3753

I recently had the same question about NSI and where to take my family.
I emailed NSI with this question:

I am a FY-10 STA-21 applicant. I was reading the NSI web site and I
have a question that is not listed in the FAQ section. I am a married
E-5 and was wondering where my wife would stay if I transferred to NSI.
We are currently stationed in CT and I did not know if she would
be eligible to remain in military housing here, if there is military
housing in Newport, RI she could move to, or if we would need to find
her a place to live elsewhere.

Thank you for your time.

Very Respectfully,

This is the reply that I received yesterday:

YN2,

NSI would be considered an "Intermediate Station". Give a copy of your
orders to PPV and ask them for your family to stay until NSI is
complete.

NSI is only 8 weeks, I suggest not moving her until actual execution of
the orders. We had an issue of that last year and it was a headache for
the member.

V/R,

I hope this help to clear some issues that seem to be universal.
Like I said, this is a direct copy and paste straight from the source.

Good luck once again to everyone. Can't wait for the results.

Bill

RCL813

FY 09 CORE Selectee!
My cousin is a LCDR NFO and he said that essentially if you're going to board with anything but all 10's your chances are very slim.

To clarify a couple things, In my NSI group for FY09 there were a few people who did not have all 10's that were selected.

One of the keys is sustained superior performance. Most junior personnel are not going to have that by default.
Just being realistic guys. Last year I thought I had a strong package and wasn't even an alternate, it was a pretty big let down. I had a few LORs, lots of SMART credit, 2nd class...blah blah blah

This is also misleading, although it is true there were not many SN, FN, etc. selected last year being junior is not disqualifying them. The program is called Seaman to Admiral for a reason. A major factor in the low SN (and equivalent) selectees is that there is a relativly small number of junior applicants to begin with. Many dont know about the program or how to go about putting a package together if they are not getting support from their commands. They expect sustained superior performance from everyone, but only to the extent you are capable of given your time and rank. The junior guys have ways they can make themselves stand out and they do.There are circumstances specific to you that held sway over your selection or lack there of, they may want a different program, or have different LORs, or they may be a FN with 80 credits and their ESWS already which is alot more impressive at their level than any E-5. Each case is different. Dont try to discourage people from trying because they arent E-5's. If they listen to the rubbish people spout about only higher enlisted getting in and dont apply it is 100% they wont be selected, if they at least apply then they stand a chance. Its not being realistic, its you spreading your poor attitude. Let them try, offer help if they need it, or let it be and keep your negativity to yourself.

To anyone offended, sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I get tired of all the negativity and "you wont make it if's"....they wonder why so few junior guys get selected, but how many have quit before trying listening to people like this tell them they 1000 reasons they shouldnt bother. :icon_rage

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
If you receive orders for BOOST your family can move to Newport with you, that is if they are still doing BOOST. Otherwise if you are just there for NSI then your orders are written so that NSI is an intermediate duty stop on the way to your University. Since the time is only 8 weeks you are not entitled to move your dependents there. You may send your dependents to your ultimate duty station either before or after you attend NSI. There are maximum times for when you are allowed to do so but I think those limits are fairly high and you'd have to consult the JFTR or attend a brief at your local friendly PSD to get the details. While at NSI you will be paid your last PDS BAH until checking into your university which could be problematic if you move your family first and the area is a higher cost of living. It is possible to change your rate before checking in but you'd have to do some legwork and show the hardship and get it approved by the CO. If you are driving your car up to Newport don't forget to get a Dity move to Newport for your TDY weight of whatever is in your car and then also file paperwork again when you leave. You are authorized 600lbs and depending upon where you drive from that could be some good beer money. Not that you will need it if you are in Newport during St. Patricks day. But you are entitled to it so no point on missing out on money that is yours.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
Thanks for the info. So, since I'm overseas, and do not receive BAH, I'll probably get the school's location BAH. Yea, and I definately want to send my motorcycle to Newport.

RCL813

FY 09 CORE Selectee!
There is no more BOOST, Last summer was the last class for Navy and Marine BOOST. From now on NSI (or OCS for the Marines) is it.

S8G2F18

To clarify a couple things, In my NSI group for FY09 there were a few people who did not have all 10's that were selected.
Very slim is not the same as none.

This is also misleading, although it is true there were not many SN, FN, etc. selected last year being junior is not disqualifying them. ... Dont try to discourage people from trying because they arent E-5's. If they listen to the rubbish people spout about only higher enlisted getting in and dont apply it is 100% they wont be selected, if they at least apply then they stand a chance. Its not being realistic, its you spreading your poor attitude. Let them try, offer help if they need it, or let it be and keep your negativity to yourself.

To anyone offended, sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I get tired of all the negativity and "you wont make it if's"....they wonder why so few junior guys get selected, but how many have quit before trying listening to people like this tell them they 1000 reasons they shouldnt bother. :icon_rage
Wow... sounds like you're the only one with hurt feelings. Calm down.

I never said being junior was disqualifying, I simply stated some facts. I'm also not trying to discourage anyone. I am however being realistic. I was replying specifically to the comment that "there will be plenty of E-3 and below that get picked up." I don't think that's true, so I pointed it out. I hope I'm wrong. Not once did I say anyone was not going to get picked up because they weren't an E5.

From FY06 Lessons learned: "It can be difficult to extract information about junior sailors' leadership potential from evaluations since frequently they do not have either the time or the opportunity onboard to build a track record."

I think you're doing people a much bigger disservice by inflating their expectations and getting their hopes up. If you level with them and tell them the way it is they're much more likely to go the extra mile and really put together a stellar package. Do you think the SN and FN that got selected last year got selected because they thought that "plenty" of E3 and below would get picked up? I think it's more likely that they were realistic about the fact that they were at a disadvantage to begin with and busted their ass to make sure that they showed why they deserved this opportunity more than a guy who's already got a proven track record.

Also, if someone quits because of what someone else tells them then they didn't want it that bad to begin with.

You can get upset and put words in my mouth all you want. It doesn't bother me. If you want to continue telling me how much of a bad guy I am do it in PM's because this isn't the thread for it.