• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

Woody4SC

Yeah... I have a few LORs in my package. Congressman, Senator, Mayor, State Represenative, 4-Star General Carl W. Stiner, my current XO, and one from where I did 5 years of community service.

I have 115 college credits already and scored an 1180 on my SAT. I have my ESWS pin and one deployment under my belt.

This is my first time applying though so I am really anxious to see if I'll make the cut.

LAX89

we're all definately overthinking it, but what else would anyone really expect? Im sure we all have better things to do on the weekend.. yet everytime I check my computer there are more people in this forum! [including myself!] lol. I agree with what was said earlier tho, LORs are great if they have some substance.I only had two, both from people who knew me really well, but who knows. It really just depends on the people on the board and what their opinions are. My PT scores arent that great, but they arent bad either. I really hope the result come out sooner rather than later though. I dont know how long I can make it without going insane of curiosity.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Here is a question for you all. My current XO said he didn't believe my evals were competitive because I have not been ranked against my peer group till this past March. However the reason for this is I made rank every time. He looked at the evaluations as a negative even though they were all written great, had recomendations for STA-21, and EP's. In my mind that just made no sense. My prior XO wrote a LOR to hopefully put some weight against his. He also didn't see why he would view that as a negative since I made BM2 in 3 years.

How do you all think the board will view the evaluations since I have no breakouts from the peer group.

corko87

I have the same problem. Most ISs do since we make rank almost immediately. The one thing I think we're all forgetting (or at least the more "junior" people) is that this is the SEAMAN to Admiral Program. That means that even an E2 with very little experience can get picked up based on the board's idea of his potential. The board isn't stupid; they can see your career progression this far and will more than likely understand. I've never been deployed or on a ship before. Maybe this will count against me but I've done the very best with what the Navy has given me and the board will understand that all our careers have different strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't worry about it so much if you have good evals, are well rounded and have a strong essay, LOR, CO's recommendation, etc.

mc6

I have the same problem. Most ISs do since we make rank almost immediately. The one thing I think we're all forgetting (or at least the more "junior" people) is that this is the SEAMAN to Admiral Program. That means that even an E2 with very little experience can get picked up based on the board's idea of his potential. The board isn't stupid; they can see your career progression this far and will more than likely understand. I've never been deployed or on a ship before. Maybe this will count against me but I've done the very best with what the Navy has given me and the board will understand that all our careers have different strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't worry about it so much if you have good evals, are well rounded and have a strong essay, LOR, CO's recommendation, etc.

I completely agree.

You will see when results come out...there will be plenty of E-3 and below that get picked up. They probably have little or no time in the fleet and have absolutely no leadership experience. Like you said above, it's all about what you've done with your time so far. If you are an E-5, you better have some significant leadership experience, but someone straight out of A-school, not so much. I wouldn't worry about your evals. But when you ARE ranked among your peergroup, you better make sure you stand out as a high EP. Same with sea duty. If you haven't been given the opportunity to earn your pin yet, that's not your fault, but if you went on deployment and failed to earn it...well, that's a different story.

Good luck to everyone!! I know you're all smart and care a lot because you took the time to find this page, and you're spending your free time on here :)

robertdm27

Mc6, as far as the surgery goes, i have not had it yet but should by the end of the month which puts me waiting till late Jan early Feb for the completion of my flight phys. I read throught the selects and alternates package on the website and it said it can say pending but it needs to be approved before orders can be cut. If i get the late class date for NSI I can still get my phys stuff in. That is my big question right now, if i do get picked up am I just going to have to give it to an alternate anyway? This all could have been avoided but my command did not allow me to do the sergery until now. It really sucks because if I do get NPQed for this year it is my commands fault not mine. any adive on this would be greatly appreciated.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
My package was very well rounded with great recommendations with the exception of the XO who chaired the internal board. My concern was that the board would see my XO gave me a couple 7s and think WTF. Overall the internal board was very weak. The two LTs seemed to show no interest in being there so just threw some stuff on the paper. Very short but good things. I don't know why the board members seemed as if they didn't want to be there...must be a SWO thing ;)

The external board was great, it was a learning experience for me and they seemed thrilled to help someone who wanted to join the community.

On the leadership side, at our command E-5s have very little opportunity for leadership. We have an extremely top heavy command....probably a 1 to 5 chief to enlisted and a load of E-6s as well. Basically the highest I can go is boat coxswain, you must be E-6 to be boat captain which is crap. Our Os and Senior Chief micro manage all evolutions....the first classes have viewed this command as a career killer.

dkels0723

Like all above I have been trying to patiently wait for the results to come out. This is a great forum and the best I have found for STA-21. This is my first time applying and I am hoping that I get selected. I applied to Intel and Core as a seconday option. I am really hoping for Intel as that is the reason I cross rated from PS to IS.

My guess is the results will come out Friday due to them coming out on the second friday in October last year. Then again, my guess is as good as the guess of everyone else. I sure hope it does come out soon so I don't keep checking NPC like a mad man.

Anyways, good luck to all and thanks for posting your thoughts, opinions, and concerns.

IS1(FMF/EXW) Douglas Kelley

mc6

Mc6, as far as the surgery goes, i have not had it yet but should by the end of the month which puts me waiting till late Jan early Feb for the completion of my flight phys. I read throught the selects and alternates package on the website and it said it can say pending but it needs to be approved before orders can be cut. If i get the late class date for NSI I can still get my phys stuff in. That is my big question right now, if i do get picked up am I just going to have to give it to an alternate anyway? This all could have been avoided but my command did not allow me to do the sergery until now. It really sucks because if I do get NPQed for this year it is my commands fault not mine. any adive on this would be greatly appreciated.

That's a tough position to be in...
If you get selected, I would contact STA-21 ASAP and tell them the situation in full detail. You could also try to get your surgery date moved up through medical if you explain the situation. It would be a shame to miss your opportunity because of a couple weeks. Don't give up though, you have time.
What you can do now is make sure everything else is ready to go. Get your acceptance letter, degree plan, and as much as possible done with your physical. Have it ready to be sent in within a couple weeks at most from results. This will prove you want it. Maybe they will let you attend NSI because you technically aren't going to be flying or anything till after college. I would say late January is too late to be cleared. I've heard they cut orders Dec/Jan timeframe. I had PRK a couple years ago, and I know the recovery time is a while before your eyes heal and you have perfect vision. But don't wait...if you get selected, contact STA-21.

mc6

My package was very well rounded with great recommendations with the exception of the XO who chaired the internal board. My concern was that the board would see my XO gave me a couple 7s and think WTF. Overall the internal board was very weak. The two LTs seemed to show no interest in being there so just threw some stuff on the paper. Very short but good things. I don't know why the board members seemed as if they didn't want to be there...must be a SWO thing ;)

The external board was great, it was a learning experience for me and they seemed thrilled to help someone who wanted to join the community.

On the leadership side, at our command E-5s have very little opportunity for leadership. We have an extremely top heavy command....probably a 1 to 5 chief to enlisted and a load of E-6s as well. Basically the highest I can go is boat coxswain, you must be E-6 to be boat captain which is crap. Our Os and Senior Chief micro manage all evolutions....the first classes have viewed this command as a career killer.

Wow, that's a shame to hear that your command didn't support you 110% on you trying to better yourself. It sounds like you got cheated out of a good board experience to help strengthen your package. All the boards I've done, the officers seem happy to be there and are glad to see my package and hear my answers, etc. Good thing is, your external board was great. I think the STA-21 board will see that and will hold more weight to the external because they don't know you, and aren't partial to you. Also, your external board marks and comments were given rergardless of what they read on your internal board sheets (which should have been in your package and they would have read them).
If you have to do it again next year, request your board members yourself ahead of time and talk to them about your package. Maybe the officers on your internal board didn't have time for your board, which isn't your fault...they shouldn't have been that way.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
All the officers were new to the command as well so I had no working experience with them. My past two boards probably went so well because we were all plankowners and were a very tight command till individuals began to rotate out.

I explained to the NCC who arranged my external board the situation and he said that the Captain had no desire to see the internal board and that his evaluation would be written off of what he saw. The captain also had chaired my flying CWO board so we had met prior to the STA-21 board. We discussed the internal board however and he said he had no reason to hold me back so hopefully the selection board sees it that way as well.

Did any others on here apply to the Flying CWO program? I spoke with the lady who prescreens the applications and she said they only had between 15-30 packages board eligible. I imagine the associates requirement weeds out a lot of folks.

Navy_Brat_AT

Yeah... I have a few LORs in my package. Congressman, Senator, Mayor, State Represenative, 4-Star General Carl W. Stiner, my current XO, and one from where I did 5 years of community service.

I have 115 college credits already and scored an 1180 on my SAT. I have my ESWS pin and one deployment under my belt.

This is my first time applying though so I am really anxious to see if I'll make the cut.

I can say that doesnt hurt to have those LOR's in your package.....but they dont carry alot of weight... your college credits and scores are great keep it up... but one deployment will hurt... gotta have the experience under your belt if ur a fleet sailor

Good thing is, your external board was great. I think the STA-21 board will see that and will hold more weight to the external because they don't know you, and aren't partial to you.

I hate to be Mr. Negative, but I disagree with this. I think that your internal board will hold more weight because they do "know you." Whether they were partial or not, the board may think there is a reason for it since they "know you". A board from 3 officers you never met before holds as much weight as one of those LOR's from someone you never met. Strictly my opinion though. But with the whole person concept, I think if the rest of your package is good, one board shouldn't hurt your chances too much.

And also for the person who had 115 credits... I have heard that there is such a thing as too much prior college. Boardmembers may see you are almost done and may see it easier for you to finish your degree on your own rather than take away a spot from someone else who can benefit from the program more. Since you are so close to your degree already, it kind of takes away from the point. Unless they are all random electives or SMARTs that won't transfer or count towards a degree. In a nutshell, I have heard you need some credits just not too many; a happy medium.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I hate to be Mr. Negative, but I disagree with this. I think that your internal board will hold more weight because they do "know you." Whether they were partial or not, the board may think there is a reason for it since they "know you". A board from 3 officers you never met before holds as much weight as one of those LOR's from someone you never met. Strictly my opinion though. But with the whole person concept, I think if the rest of your package is good, one board shouldn't hurt your chances too much.

And also for the person who had 115 credits... I have heard that there is such a thing as too much prior college. Boardmembers may see you are almost done and may see it easier for you to finish your degree on your own rather than take away a spot from someone else who can benefit from the program more. Since you are so close to your degree already, it kind of takes away from the point. Unless they are all random electives or SMARTs that won't transfer or count towards a degree. In a nutshell, I have heard you need some credits just not too many; a happy medium.

That's a lot of speculation there buddy. Too much college to get picked up? I bet you believe in sasquatch too don't you?

And the external board holds far more significance than you may think grasshopper. It is designed to evaluate your performance with a non-biased group of officers who don't know you. First impressions go a long way.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Here is a question for you all. My current XO said he didn't believe my evals were competitive because I have not been ranked against my peer group till this past March. However the reason for this is I made rank every time. He looked at the evaluations as a negative even though they were all written great, had recomendations for STA-21, and EP's. In my mind that just made no sense. My prior XO wrote a LOR to hopefully put some weight against his. He also didn't see why he would view that as a negative since I made BM2 in 3 years.

How do you all think the board will view the evaluations since I have no breakouts from the peer group.

I got picked up with 3 of 5 evals being 1 of 1. One was 1 of 9 and the other was NOB. The 1 of 1's were all frocking evals.