• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

xtreme_rob

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
College Application

J/w,

Has anyone applied for any schools yet?
How soon should i apply?
I don't really want to waste money on applications if I don't get picked up.
What's the general wait time on acceptance letters?
Also, what is the probability of getting assigned to your primary college?
-thanks

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
J/w,

How soon should i apply?

I was about to post some of the same questions. I just got this info from my first choice school. I'm planning on applying soon.

ME: I'm curious how early I can apply. I won't know until October when I will start classes. It could be anywhere from Summer/Fall 2010 to Spring 2011.

SCHOOL: You can apply up to one year in advance and your acceptance is good for twelve months.

ME: Is it better to apply and be accepted, and then reapply if I have to start at a later date past the 12 month mark?

SCHOOL: Yes. If you determine that you will need to postpone your start, you can request that they defer your beginning term.

Hope this helps.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I have yet to hear of anyone that didn't get their first choice. Also I and a handful of others went with schools which we picked at the last minute and were not even one of the original three placed on our initial application. There is enough time after the NAVADMIN comes out to do your college stuff. The flight physical will probably end up being what slows you down unless you have already taken care of this. I hadn't gotten one until I was picked up and it ended up still being good by the time I commissioned which was pretty neat but obviously not the norm (good for two years--I was only in school for three semesters).

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
When I applied last year, I sent in my application to ODU in mid July, didn't hear back from them till mid Sept. So when results came out I had everything faxed in the next day. It all depends on the school, some are slow at responding, while other take only a few days. I would recommend applying early. You don't wanna apply when results come out and not hear back for a month or so. If you wait (as some people I met @ NSI did) it will take longer for your order to be cut. Some people received order only a week or less before their report dates. In my opinion, always better to be properly prepared. I would apply in the very near future.

J/w,

How soon should i apply?
-thanks

xtreme_rob

I already got my SNA physical out of the way; results came back from NAMI a few months ago, but I am unsure of what parts to submit once results come out. There were so many documents involved, and the word from Ed Straten is that more than 80% of physicals sent in are incomplete or have mistakes. Is there some instruction of what exactly to send in, and was an HIV test part of the SNA physical or is that something else we have to schedule? I can't remember.

I have yet to hear of anyone that didn't get their first choice. Also I and a handful of others went with schools which we picked at the last minute and were not even one of the original three placed on our initial application. There is enough time after the NAVADMIN comes out to do your college stuff. The flight physical will probably end up being what slows you down unless you have already taken care of this. I hadn't gotten one until I was picked up and it ended up still being good by the time I commissioned which was pretty neat but obviously not the norm (good for two years--I was only in school for three semesters).

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I already got my SNA physical out of the way; results came back from NAMI a few months ago, but I am unsure of what parts to submit once results come out. There were so many documents involved, and the word from Ed Straten is that more than 80% of physicals sent in are incomplete or have mistakes. Is there some instruction of what exactly to send in, and was an HIV test part of the SNA physical or is that something else we have to schedule? I can't remember.

Well first off I'm confused, did you or the MTF have the physical sent to NAMI? It is supposed to be forwarded by the STA-21 office after you are notified of selection. I think there are other cases where aircrew guys who already get physicals have other stuff going. But the norm is that you just get a copy of the entire physical (it should be typed and signed by the flight doc) and then forward it to Ed. They will take it in various formats including, fax, snail mail, email via word or pdf or other standard electronic means.

As far as HIV is concerned you have to send it "results" which obviously should be negative. Here is the thing I learned when I went to get mine. There apparently is no requirement for them to update your record with the results if they are negative. So more than likely you'll have a sheet with a whole bunch of dates listing all the tests (blood draw dates) you've had done. If you recently had a test go back in to that medical center and have someone look up your results in the computer and record it on the sheet then just xerox that. You may have to track down whoever put in the request because I don't think just anybody can logon their system and see the results. At least that was the runaround I got when I was doing mine.

xtreme_rob

I was under the impression that when I got my SNA physical back form Sewell's Point Aviation Medicine, it had already been sent to NAMI. Their flight surgeon conducted my physical and they told me it was sent to NAMI for "finishing". I had to wait several weeks after the lab tests were even back before I got the final word....

Well first off I'm confused, did you or the MTF have the physical sent to NAMI? It is supposed to be forwarded by the STA-21 office after you are notified of selection. I think there are other cases where aircrew guys who already get physicals have other stuff going. But the norm is that you just get a copy of the entire physical (it should be typed and signed by the flight doc) and then forward it to Ed. They will take it in various formats including, fax, snail mail, email via word or pdf or other standard electronic means.

As far as HIV is concerned you have to send it "results" which obviously should be negative. Here is the thing I learned when I went to get mine. There apparently is no requirement for them to update your record with the results if they are negative. So more than likely you'll have a sheet with a whole bunch of dates listing all the tests (blood draw dates) you've had done. If you recently had a test go back in to that medical center and have someone look up your results in the computer and record it on the sheet then just xerox that. You may have to track down whoever put in the request because I don't think just anybody can logon their system and see the results. At least that was the runaround I got when I was doing mine.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
They will automatically forward it to NAMI unless you tell them what the physical is for and that you are supposed to send it to the STA-21 guys so they can do it. All this is outlined in OPNAV 1420.1

xtreme_rob

Thanks!... would you happen to know the ratio or percentage of pilot applicants that get selected? Or is that just getting too greedy on my part...
Yes we do.
[url]http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138590[/url]

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
If I understand you correctly the answer is no. They don't publish the specific numbers of applicants for each target community. Just the total applicants. Some years the numbers given were fairly general too and they didn't clearly state how many applications even made it to the board members that weren't disqualified for something. Unless you find someone who sat the board willing to enlighten you and I'm pretty sure they are not supposed to officially divulge anything.

I don't think its really even worth thinking about too hard because just the number of applications each year varies compared to the number of slots. Even if you had those numbers the data year to year I would bet would be somewhat inconsistent and at best not useful.

xtreme_rob

That's more or less what I figured... I guess its better to just wait it out rather than trying to figure my chances... If they want me, they'll choose me..

If I understand you correctly the answer is no. They don't publish the specific numbers of applicants for each target community. Just the total applicants. Some years the numbers given were fairly general too and they didn't clearly state how many applications even made it to the board members that weren't disqualified for something. Unless you find someone who sat the board willing to enlighten you and I'm pretty sure they are not supposed to officially divulge anything.

I don't think its really even worth thinking about too hard because just the number of applications each year varies compared to the number of slots. Even if you had those numbers the data year to year I would bet would be somewhat inconsistent and at best not useful.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
I'm doing this NKO E-learning course right now: EOD Junior Officer Leadership Capstone (EOD-JOLC-012)

I wish I did this before I started my package. The first section is breaking down the Standard Naval Letter piece by piece...very informative.

EM3

FY10 Core Selectee
Just sent out my complete package today(Med primary/Core secondary). I want to thank people in this forum who posted helpful tips. Good luck to everyone else who has managed to complete his/her package. Now it is pretty much just waiting.

I do have a question: How soon do you have to submit the physical once the result is out in Oct?