• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
Just sent out my complete package today(Med primary/Core secondary). I want to thank people in this forum who posted helpful tips. Good luck to everyone else who has managed to complete his/her package. Now it is pretty much just waiting.

I do have a question: How soon do you have to submit the physical once the result is out in Oct?

Good luck. Mine is getting sent out tomorrow (EOD Pri/CORE Sec). I'm getting my physical and everything else that needs to be done for October completed now. If selected, you're a "conditional" selectee until those other docs are received. I plan on having them all ready to be sent out.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
NRB completed yesterday and package sent out today! I feel so relieved. I had the guy at the Fleet Mail Center show me the post mark of 01 JULY. Out of my hands now.

Good luck to everyone and thanks again for all the help.

---Anyone else notice that the FY-10 message (121/09) had the address for NSTC as 50 Dallas Street and the website has 250 Dallas St? My CCC and I caught that right as we were preparing the label for the envelope. He called NSTC up and confirmed that it was 250. It'd probably end up going to the same place... who knows.

jake954

NRB completed yesterday and package sent out today! I feel so relieved. I had the guy at the Fleet Mail Center show me the post mark of 01 JULY. Out of my hands now.

Good luck to everyone and thanks again for all the help.

---Anyone else notice that the FY-10 message (121/09) had the address for NSTC as 50 Dallas Street and the website has 250 Dallas St? My CCC and I caught that right as we were preparing the label for the envelope. He called NSTC up and confirmed that it was 250. It'd probably end up going to the same place... who knows.

I know what you are saying about it being a huge relief. I looked today and they received my package. Now all I do is play the waiting game again. OPNAVINST 1420.1A states 250 Dallas St. That's where I sent mine and they have received it so it is in fact 250.

SubmarineWife

Good luck to everyone who has applied for STA-21 FY10. My husband and I are currently loving the life that this program has provided for us already. He is a FY09 Core Selectee and currently attends NC State. I thought I would take a minute and let you guys know what has happened since the selection board results came out in October, from a wife's perspective.

By the time results came out, we had already put in the applications for the schools that we wanted to go to. There were only 2, so we put out about $100 in application fees. No big deal. This helped IMMENSELY with getting orders in a expedited fashion. He also already had all of his medical stuff done before results came out. We had orders about 2 weeks before Christmas and were able to immediately arrange for our move and start looking for housing here in Raleigh. It was very helpful. He attended only NSI from Feb-April and while he was gone, I moved our family to Raleigh. Upon graduation, he reported to the school NROTC (he was the only one out of 3 to show up) and was given various "free" leave (checking in 3x/week via phone) for the 3 weeks until school started. The other 2 guys who were with him at NSI all got charged for that 3 weeks although they were in town.

My husband is LOVING this program. He said that if he could do this as his career for the next 12 years, he would! The Lt.'s at his NROTC is very down-to-earth and requires 1x/week muster/PT. Otherwise, his job is to go to class and get good grades. He has already completed 7 credits in the Summer 1 5-week term and got straight A's. They seem to have different rules once you get to the NROTC about age-requirements and such. He was also told that because he came from the submarine fleet and was core, he would likely be strong-armed back into the submarine fleet.

Now for the down-side. It's been difficult finding doctors in the area that take Tricare. Most of them will take it, but only 1 or 2 patients. I am currently expecting and have to drive 1 hour to UNC Chapel Hill for prenatal visits and to deliver. It was also hard to find a PCM within a 20-minute radius. I hadn't expected the trouble since the list of Tricare docs was extensive. It has also been difficult finalizing the move and getting the remaineder of our move money because of not having a PPO office (or any office for that matter) around. We have contact with 1 person at the NROTC who keeps in touch with the base for us, but if they don't respond to her, we are up a creek.

Now onto the expenses. Although we got him classified as a resident prior to reporting, his first tuition bill was non-resident. There was a fantastic guy at the NROTC in charge of dealing with the university, and he took care of all that. We have had to pay out of pocket for books so far because of the small amount they give for summer terms. We have also had to pay out of pocket for a parking pass. This is $300 for fall, $300 for spring and $150 for summer. Not something we had banked on.

Overall, we are incredibly happy and looking forward to his commissioning in Dec 2010! When I stop and think about it, this all seems like a dream. The 2 years of applying, the waiting, the waiting, the waiting! Please let me know if you (or your significant other) has any questions!

Gardito85

FY-10 STA-21 Applicant
Nice post SubmarineWife, my wife liked it too. I was stationed on the Olympia out of pearl and now I'm in new york, biting my nails for the STA-21 results. Hopefully it works out.

brian_burrows

1st Timer FY10
So I applied for the Nurse corp and have been having a hard time nailing down what the requirements are for schooling. All nursing programs require prerequisites in order to get into the college and a lot of the schools have required a very high GPA to get into the school. (Upwards of 3.5) Here is a email I recieved from Pensacola answering some of my "school questions"

"You should have some provisional letter or a plan of study that indicates that you will be in the nursing program where ever you go to school. Many nursing programs provide such understanding with a detailed plan of study that delineates exactly what classes you need to complete and the order in which you need to complete them in order to receive a BSN at the end of your 4 years of study. University of Colorado Health Sciences Center is the cross town affiliate of the University of Colorado under the NROTC umbrella, so you should speak with the Department of Nursing at UofC Health Sciences Center to plan out how you should complete the requirements of the program leading to a degree in Nursing and which schools you can take them in."

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
Checked "Package Status"... It was received. Phew.

Is it OK to submit the paperwork that will be required this October now? (Med forms/Acceptance letters)

SkywardET

Contrarian
Checked "Package Status"... It was received. Phew.

Is it OK to submit the paperwork that will be required this October now? (Med forms/Acceptance letters)
Unless the instruction was recently updated, it should still say you have until August 1st to submit updates or changes to your package.

I would encourage you to do so if needed. While those forms are not needed, they might help build your case. You can really submit anything you want as part of your package...

In the interest of full disclosure, my package included medical forms and an acceptance letter in the original submission.

jsimons33

# Applicants

Well, I am new to this forum and I have recently just submitted my fy10 STA-21 Medical Corps option package. Is there anyway you can tell how many applicants applied to this option this year? Or is there anyway to tell how many applicants applied to the STA-21 in general? I understand I may have to simply wait until October to find out, but I was uncertain whether or not this information was posted somewhere. Thank you in advance for your help. This seems to be a very informative website.

brian_burrows

1st Timer FY10
Well, I am new to this forum and I have recently just submitted my fy10 STA-21 Medical Corps option package. Is there anyway you can tell how many applicants applied to this option this year? Or is there anyway to tell how many applicants applied to the STA-21 in general? I understand I may have to simply wait until October to find out, but I was uncertain whether or not this information was posted somewhere. Thank you in advance for your help. This seems to be a very informative website.

Well you are the second person on this website that has admitted to applying for the Med Corp option. Here are some details for you. In the last 2 years there have been 88 applicants to the Med Corp program and 2 have been selected. Both were SpecWar but I don't think that has any merit on anything. Look up EM3 for more answers. He also applyed and is on this site. From the info he posted about himself I seems like the guy to follow.

brian_burrows

1st Timer FY10
Wow what a week. So I recieved an email from Ed Straten down in Pensacola who tells me that there were some things wrong in my package. First, the forms that were provided were the old ones and they didn't like that, second my Chairperson recom form from the Nomination board was not even filled out (a blank piece of paper was sent) and third I was missing another interviewer appraisal sheet. I knew about the interview appraisal sheet about 3 weeks ago and my CCC said that it shouldn't affect my package. Well apparently not. My CCC had to have the correct board form faxed over to the Cmdr who filled it in. And there wasn't anything wrong with my interview appraisal sheets. :) So COB tomorrow and my packet is squared away and I can/will finally stop obsessing. Oh, and got into my first choice college with a scholarship (just thought I'd throw that it to make myself feel better).

Moral of the story: If it's one day till the final turn-in day and your CCC STILL has not turned all the command's packets in, CYA! In the end, its your packet that's going to get turned down, not theirs.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Wow what a week. So I recieved an email from Ed Straten down in Pensacola who tells me that there were some things wrong in my package. First, the forms that were provided were the old ones and they didn't like that, second my Chairperson recom form from the Nomination board was not even filled out (a blank piece of paper was sent) and third I was missing another interviewer appraisal sheet. I knew about the interview appraisal sheet about 3 weeks ago and my CCC said she took care of it. Well apparently not. So, after a couple boots up a couple a** I "convinced" my CCC to have the correct board form faxed over to the Cmdr who filled it in. And there wasn't anything wrong with my interview appraisal sheets. :) So COB tomorrow and my packet is squared away and I can/will finally stop obsessing. Oh, and got into my first choice college with a scholarship (just thought I'd throw that it to make myself look good).

Moral of the story: If it's one day till the final turn-in day and your CCC STILL has not turned all the command's packets in, CYA! In the end, its your packet that's going to get turned down, not theirs.

Good attitude...great way to get people to help you out. You will go far...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Wow what a week. So I recieved an email from Ed Straten down in Pensacola who tells me that there were some things wrong in my package. First, the forms that were provided were the old ones and they didn't like that, second my Chairperson recom form from the Nomination board was not even filled out (a blank piece of paper was sent) and third I was missing another interviewer appraisal sheet. I knew about the interview appraisal sheet about 3 weeks ago and my CCC said she took care of it. Well apparently not. So, after a couple boots up a couple a** I "convinced" my CCC to have the correct board form faxed over to the Cmdr who filled it in. And there wasn't anything wrong with my interview appraisal sheets. :) So COB tomorrow and my packet is squared away and I can/will finally stop obsessing. Oh, and got into my first choice college with a scholarship (just thought I'd throw that it to make myself look good).

You're such a badass...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Well you are the second person on this website that has admitted to applying for the Med Corp option. Here are some details for you. In the last 2 years there have been 88 applicants to the Med Corp program and 2 have been selected. Both were SpecWar but I don't think that has any merit on anything. Look up EM3 for more answers. He also applyed and is on this site. From the info he posted about himself I seems like the guy to follow.

Jsimons33: Never listen to people who insist that you are going to fail...good luck with your package

brian_burrows

1st Timer FY10
If you looked at what Jsimons33 asked, you would see that I wasn't saying he was "going to fail." He asked how many people applied and I answered. I see no reason as to why anyone has the right to disrespect someone they have never even met, nor know nothing about. But I guess thats some people's MO.