• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

Surfer727

The entire "official" transcript, which simply means having the nearest navy college office stamp a printed copy as official, or order it using the form from the site.

Surfer727

uuugh, I am having such a hard time with my personal statement. I am applying for Nurse Corps and I know why I want to be a nurse, that's easy. It's the why do you want to be an officer that I am having trouble putting into words.

Explain to the board what you "will" have to offer to the wardroom aside from your abilities attained through the accession program as a Nurse.

Ex. 1.Utilizing prior enlisted experiences to relate to and to better evaluate/mentor situations reguarding your sailors.
-Remember that as an officer, your primary concern is your people, then being an officer, then a Nurse.

Ex. 2. What attributes will you contribute as an officer, i.e. the ability to identify issues, formulate an inventive resolution, and following through.
-Successful officers are the one's that strive to be the best at every assignment they've been tasked with, reguardless of how mundane. Even if you fail to succeed at some tasks, efforts do not go unnoticed within most wardrooms. Just dont fail more than you succeed.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
The entire "official" transcript, which simply means having the nearest navy college office stamp a printed copy as official, or order it using the form from the site.

The SMART site says it can only be ordered to educational institutions. I had my admin office do the below:

OPNAVINST 1420.1A said:
(9) Certified copy of Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). Note: Applicants should have their Administration office certify as true copies the SMART transcripts obtained from service record or downloaded from the Internet.

I was just asking if it's expected to submit the entire "Combo Report" or just the Transcript itself to minimize extra paperwork in the package.

Thanks.

JonAvery

Age Waivers??

I am under the impression that age waivers are to be submitted though the CO's Endorsement. How should these be worded??

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Blizzy, I have always submitted the combo report. If you go and ask your Navy College Office for an official transcript they will say it can only be mailed to the institution. They may know what you need but if not ask for a certified to be true copy. They will stamp each page and that is what you submit with the package. I have never had to request the combo report, it is what has always been given to me when I asked for a certified copy.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Blizzy, I have always submitted the combo report. If you go and ask your Navy College Office for an official transcript they will say it can only be mailed to the institution. They may know what you need but if not ask for a certified to be true copy. They will stamp each page and that is what you submit with the package. I have never had to request the combo report, it is what has always been given to me when I asked for a certified copy.

You can always print it out yourself and stamp it "true copy". I'm sure your Admin department can help work out the details of that. I know they did it for me as I was already having them pull copies of other docs so they pretty much made me do the legwork which I was happy to do and ensure it was done correctly.

Gardito85

FY-10 STA-21 Applicant
Hey guys,

As far as interview scores go, anyone know how common is it to get all 10's? Im pretty pumped about my interview remarks, and i just wanted to know if I'm gonna have a solid advantage or if most people get 10's.

Just curious, thanks guys,
-Gardo

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I think that pretty much everybody gets high marks with the board. If you didn't, your CO wouldn't route your package. The way they make you stand out is how they write up the summary. If there is a lot of "I would be glad to have so and so in my wardroom today" or "So and so will make an immediate impact on any wardroom" then you should be good to go. Any mention of witnessed leadership is good as well. I flew with a lot of my boardmembers, so they were able to evaluate my leadership potential from experience.

dgoff267

Should I put in a LOR from a State Senator who knows me and my family? Also, there's a news article where I'm interviewed about how I earned both air and surface pins on my first deployment in less than 3 months. Is that a bit too much to put a highlighted copy of that in my package?

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Should I put in a LOR from a State Senator who knows me and my family? Also, there's a news article where I'm interviewed about how I earned both air and surface pins on my first deployment in less than 3 months. Is that a bit too much to put a highlighted copy of that in my package?

I would include the LOR and not the article. Make sure your quals are documented though. You should be including copies of them and your page 4. Also you can mention your accomplishments in your personal statement or get a supervisor or DivO or somebody who witnessed your hardwork to write you an LOR as well. Personally I think LORs from random people of high rank hold less weight than more junior leaders who have seen you work and can speak highly of you.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
The LOR from the Senator can't hurt, I had one from my Senator in my package, and it worked for me. I agree I would not include the article, the board will see you have your air/surface. I was in the same boat, got air and surface on my first deployment as an airman and I wanted to highlight that, but in the end, the board will see. Good luck on the rest of your application.

SkywardET

Contrarian
I am under the impression that age waivers are to be submitted though the CO's Endorsement. How should these be worded??
I needed an age waiver, but made no mention of it in my package. After I was selected, it was miraculously approved (after being miraculously created) when I asked Mr. Straten about it. I'm not encouraging the omission of the waiver, just pointing out an anecdote.

Gardito85 said:
Hey guys,

As far as interview scores go, anyone know how common is it to get all 10's? Im pretty pumped about my interview remarks, and i just wanted to know if I'm gonna have a solid advantage or if most people get 10's.

Just curious, thanks guys,
-Gardo
Congrats on the 10's. I got 10's too and was selected, but I had heard that 10's were pretty common and that it's the remarks that count. The Captain chairing my interview board made some crazy-good remarks, imo, and I think that's why I was selected.

xtreme_rob

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
nomination review board questions

I have my External Nomination Review Board next week with a helo squadron (not to be named for confidentiality)
I am applying for pilot but am currently in the surface community, with a limited history of interaction with the aviation community.

What are some of the questions that will likely be asked?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I have my External Nomination Review Board next week with a helo squadron (not to be named for confidentiality)
I am applying for pilot but am currently in the surface community, with a limited history of interaction with the aviation community.

What are some of the questions that will likely be asked?

To tell you the truth, they are going to ask you some very simple questions.

1) They are going to give you a leadership situation in which you are going to have to make a decision.

2) They are going to ask you why you want to be a pilot (be honest, they sincerely want to know).

3) They are going to ask you what you are going to do if you get selected for CORE and don't get to be a pilot.

In your board, take time to think. The questions are going to be challenging because none of the board members want to hear some shit that you memorized ten minutes earlier.