• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

Seabee74

:confused:Hey guys, I am finding it really hard to get these colleges to aprove an acceptance letter so soon! What should i do?! Texas A&M is being very Cooperative but The University of Texas MIGHT not be able to. I have had to apply to the "cross-street" college Huston-Tillotson. From there they are saying I can transfer. AHHHH!!!! I am loosing my mind! tell me i am not the only one in this position.:confused:

As soon as i found out I was picked up for STA I called UT and immediately realized that they were not going to be very cooperative and deemed it a lost cause, but that was fine for me since it wasnt my top pick....Texas A&M and OU were my top two picks and I found out last week that both schools accepted me...they were both very accomodating to this circumstance. Just be sure that the LT's at the nrotc units know that you are applying. Hope this helps you out a little bit.

napster21

Hey guys, FY09 Core select here. I've got a couple questions that previous year selects might be able to answer. First, O1E... I'll be entering NSI about 6 months shy of my 4 year mark, does this mean I'm SOL so far as O1E goes. I've read the instructions on it and I haven't seen anything specific to STA-21 candidates. I know technically I'll no longer be enlisted while in school, yet I will maintain enlisted pay status. Does this count towards the 4 years required for officer/enlisted pay? My other question is in regards to the transition from NSI to college. Does the Navy give you TLA or provide some kind of housing while you look for an apartment? If so, for how long? I'm not sure if I'm going to have the time to scout out an apartment before I PCS (currently on deployment right now). Thanks in advance for any answers.

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
Just seen that I am good to go on my University of Oklahoma plans. Everything was accepted. Now I am just waiting on BUMED and NOMI to review my stuff. I hope everything goes well with that. If you guys haven't heard NOMI is like WAY undermanned right now and like half of them are sick and off of work. That is why it is taking so long for NOMI. Well hope that helps a little.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
I'm interested to hear the answer to this as well, I too am about 5 months shy of 4 years when i enter STA-21, and I REALLY wanna be a O1E, big pay difference.

Hey guys, FY09 Core select here. I've got a couple questions that previous year selects might be able to answer. First, O1E... I'll be entering NSI about 6 months shy of my 4 year mark, does this mean I'm SOL so far as O1E goes. I've read the instructions on it and I haven't seen anything specific to STA-21 candidates. I know technically I'll no longer be enlisted while in school, yet I will maintain enlisted pay status. Does this count towards the 4 years required for officer/enlisted pay? My other question is in regards to the transition from NSI to college. Does the Navy give you TLA or provide some kind of housing while you look for an apartment? If so, for how long? I'm not sure if I'm going to have the time to scout out an apartment before I PCS (currently on deployment right now). Thanks in advance for any answers.

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
I had it explained to me like this, we are enlisted until we are commissioned even though we are OC's. Because what happens if we get disenrolled at anytime during this process? We go back to whatever enlisted rank we are. I hope that helps explain it good enough. If it is any different than that I would be EXTREMELY surprised.

Stick

pilot

You still keep your rank, still get time in rate (you can still advance in rank), you still are eligible for good conduct awards. Basically you are in a transition stage of your career, you are an officer candidate. That being said, you will be an O1E as long as you enlisted in the Navy at least 4 years prior to your commissioning. So you and just about everyone else in STA-21 will become an O1E.

When you transfer from NSI you are on PCS orders. That means you are eligible for the government to pay for up to 10 days of lodging. I forget what amount they will pay up to, that will be on your orders. If you are near a base you could always stay in housing or the barracks until you find a place to live. If you are not near a base, I suggest you find a place quick. Contact the ROTC unit you will be reporting to and see if they can help you find somewhere to start looking.

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
Anyone heard about the supposed advancement quotas coming out on the NavyTimes website. It is in the secured section of NavyTimes, but on navyadvancement.com website page 68 he has the quotas posted from the website. Just like before I don't know how true they are, but if they posted the quotas today we should find out before the end of the week. I hope I made 2nd because that is a better pay day and I will not have to worry about a navy test again since I'll be an O before I would be up for the 1st class test. Well good luck to all those who took the test.

NukeRobot

Excel Jedi
pilot
I dunno bout the quotas, but I do know that NavyAdvancement put us FY-09 guys to shame on the results-hovering. They've got about a hundred pages straight of people replying, waiting to hear them. Makes me feel a bit better bout this thread.

Anyway, VT app's in and I talked to one of their ROTC guys, who was very helpful. He called over to the admissions office, and wrote back to me that their admissions office considers STA-21 an exception to the regular admissions process, so I should be able to get a letter back in time for the deadline. Hope everyone else is having as much luck with theirs (or alternatively, were smart enough to not be in this predicament by preparing properly)! ;)

jbuck387

pilot
woohooo, NOMI finally finished my physical after having it since Oct 27th. Now any idea when they will request orders, I need a xfer date for my xfer eval.

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
Orders

woohooo, NOMI finally finished my physical after having it since Oct 27th. Now any idea when they will request orders, I need a xfer date for my xfer eval.

Straight from the mouth of Mr. Straten. Whenever I called to verify my physical had been received, I asked him about orders and he said, "Whoever has all their paperwork in and approved, will be put in for orders the first week in Dec." He said that after he sends the stuff to BUPERS it takes only about 10-14 business days for a turnaround, so you might get your orders before the Christmas holiday. I hope I get mine at least by the first week in Jan. because I am trying to take 10 days house hunting with 25 days leave rolled together and leave about the 12 of Jan. or so. I am trying to move the family back to Oklahoma before I go to NSI, so it will be an easier transition. Good luck to all of you with your paperwork. I just started the physical stuff. BUMED has it and waiting for approval, and then off to the black hole of NOMI. hahaha

jbuck387

pilot
BUMED was quick for me, they only had it for like 4 days, but NOMI had mine from Oct 27th till Nov 17th!! Good luck with the NOMI black hole

Straight from the mouth of Mr. Straten. Whenever I called to verify my physical had been received, I asked him about orders and he said, "Whoever has all their paperwork in and approved, will be put in for orders the first week in Dec." He said that after he sends the stuff to BUPERS it takes only about 10-14 business days for a turnaround, so you might get your orders before the Christmas holiday. I hope I get mine at least by the first week in Jan. because I am trying to take 10 days house hunting with 25 days leave rolled together and leave about the 12 of Jan. or so. I am trying to move the family back to Oklahoma before I go to NSI, so it will be an easier transition. Good luck to all of you with your paperwork. I just started the physical stuff. BUMED has it and waiting for approval, and then off to the black hole of NOMI. hahaha

Stick

pilot

Your orders will most likely be like ours last year. Because you are PCSing you are entitled 30 days transfer leave. That means you will transfer in January. So pick a time in January. Some people didn't transfer until February because they didn't want to burn leave. I suggest taking all you can because you won't use much in school.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
This might (probably) be a stupid question but how does the BUMED/NOMI part of the physical work? My SNA physical is completed, emailed to Ed, and has been approved by BUMED. My status page on the on-line STA website says "qualified". Since BUMED has received it and my status says qualified does that mean NOMI has already seen it too? Is there something else that needs to be done, more waiting?

I just received my signed degree plan yesterday so off to get it scanned and emailed today. That will be the last of my required items needed. Anybody who has everything in been assigned to a ROTC unit yet? The three schools listed on the STA status page, do one of those get a check mark, or X, once all of the conditions have been met?

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
BUMED has had mine for 2 weeks now... atleast that is what the physical status update page has said.

Mine said the same thing until I called Ed. He said he hadn't received mine yet. After looking through his old emails he apologized and sent it off that day. Might be worth a call. He is very busy dealing with all of us and might have missed your copy when it came through his desk. It shouldn't take 2 weeks. I think mine took 3 days once he sent it off.