• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

Stick

pilot
University of Texas, but my wife want's me to go to A&M, that's were she graduated from..... I can't stand the Aggies, you should see us when their football teams play each other.

If you want to go to UT then you should know you need to apply to other schools and get accepted to one of those. UT will not get you an acceptance letter before the February NSI class. They are not very familiar with STA-21. I couldn't find anyone who even knew what the program was. You can get an ordmod once in NSI to change schools to UT. I wanted to go there but decided I would have rather stayed in Charleston and attend The Citadel.

CMS_189

Combat Air Crew
Good point, but I've already made arrangements for that though... I've already applied for the Spring Semester and should be getting letter of acceptance shortly. Once I get that I can deffer acceptance up to a year, that way I have everything ready and can start as soon as finished with NSI.
That's the theoretical situation, and I hope everything works out, but just in case... I've also applied to two other schools. Now I just need to be a STA-21 selectee... that's the big one.

SkyBoundET2

Now I just need to be a STA-21 selectee... that's the big one.

LOL i think that's what we're all hoping for at this point. i personally find it difficult to go through the planning process- whether for NSI then college or for college before i reapply next year- with an unknown variable. I'm kind of a comtrol freak though.. :D

SkywardET

Contrarian
Such rampant optimism...

I put in a package as well, but I am a realist. Even though my test scores were way above average and all my boards were perfect, there is still a very remote chance of being selected. The fact remains that we all have a very, very low chance of making it because of the very limited slots available. If I'm not mistaken, it has been a 6% selection rate on some previous years.

Always plan for the worst, even when you allow yourself to hope for the best. If you do not plan to not be selected, then statistically you will very likely be in a beautiful pickle.

SkyBoundET2

Such rampant optimism...

Always plan for the worst, even when you allow yourself to hope for the best. If you do not plan to not be selected, then statistically you will very likely be in a beautiful pickle.

no kidding! based on what i heard from my command, i originally thought i had a pretty good shot at selection. After looking into things, doing a bit of research, and reading on here... my odds of selection this year are as good as hitting the $127 million jackpot! No worries, though! I'm ready to start classes October 15th if my luck isn't up!

flyn707

Dont you hate it when your command tells you that you are a shoe-in. Such and Such made it last year you will definately make it. I try and tell them that it almost seems every year is different and you never know what they are truly looking for in that year.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
If any of you have families or bought or own a house where you are now, I'd look into seeing how much you can sell it for. I was going to Auburn, then a realtor came over and said I 'd probably lose $25k to $30k if I tried to sell then. Even then , he said it would be on the market for 6-9 months, possibly longer. Therefore, I was stuck to stay in navytown (Jax).

otherwise, the wait is almost over fellas... hang in there... If you got selected, you'll be enjoying goose crap sooner than you'd like to. o those who don't, keep applying and don't give up.

OC

CMS_189

Combat Air Crew
That’s a good philosophy, I hope everybody is ready to take classes incase of nonselection. I’ve spent the last 4 years doing workups or on deployment with absolutely no time to take a course. Now that I’m on a shore billet, I don’t understand all the people around my command are not taking classes. If not selected this year, I will definitely be disappointed, but at least I now have the opportunity to work on finishing my degree. It’s been pretty frustrating only have 28 semester hours left to finish my bachelors and not being unable to do anything about it.

If selected for sta-21 I will lose credits due to inresident degree requirements and transfer regulations, but hey, I would gladly give up credits to get paid to go to school full time…. Hell, I’ll start all over if that’s what it took.

I just don't understand people not taking advantage of TA while they have the opportunity to.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
I was going to try NC State because of their awesome engineering program, but a FY08 selectee from my command that's on AW just gave me some pertinent info on them- they won't approve or decline you until spring, which will not work for STA-21. Also, ODU will apparently take a whole crap-load of smart credits. Enabling me to either a) graduate early or b) take all those language classes i want to. I'm really considering it, even though i previously thought i'd attend ANY college that would get me out of VA...

Yes ODU accept a shitload of credits, I already applied I've earned 36 credit, ODU gave 61 total! They gave all those extra credits in electrical engineering for being an AE2

SkyBoundET2

Probably because you are trying to serve up the Kool-Aid, but you haven't even earned a cup to drink from yet.

oh honestly... Navy aside, since this is a public forum- AS HUMAN BEINGS you must demonstrate behavior deserving of respect to be granted respect. This back and forth, schoolyard, pointing fingers, ganging up on the new guy CRAP is disgusting. All parties involved need to grow the hell up. I'm upset, as a STA-21 applicant, that the ranks i am attempting to join apparently think it common practice to bicker like children- and relish it! With a complete lack of tact or effort to guide in the right direction, no less! This is absolutely absurd, and quite frankly, WERE i a civilian going OCS, rather than a sailor trying for STA-21, I would have a very bad impression of Naval officers from this thread alone. Lets hope not many of them have wandered in here to see what the prior enlisted Navy is all about.

at this point i can't say i would blame the moderators for locking the thread.

that's my 5 cents. Let the trash talking ensue, by all means.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Don't let the trash talking ensue, its completely unnecessary.

One point I would like to make though, is that the people on here seem to be the more motivated and among the more highly qualified applicants than the rest of the fleet. Of the packages that went in front of the board from my command, I personally know all but three of the applicants, and most of them couldn't care less about whether they got accepted. They put in a package for one reason or another, but don't really have their heart and souls into it like we do here.

You also have to realize that while the program as a whole has an inordinately low acceptance rate, specific programs differ. For example, medical corps has an extremely low quota and a handful of applicants, so the selection rate there will be low. Nuke on the other hand, has a decently sized quota and a limited number of applicants (Personnel are only eligible if they are at one of the three training commands) so the rate there is higher. So yes, it has a low acceptance rate, but you'd have to be a fool to gauge your chances based on the overall number instead of the numbers for your intended designator.