• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

davebomb25

Well, this just got ridiculous in a hurry didn't it gentlemen? Like politics, people are entitled to their own opinions and beliefs. Disagreements take place, but this is neither the place nor time for it. Agreed?

SkyBoundET2

Amen, Brother! So! back to the topic at hand.. i heard that results were released to people born in January-April with a last name staring with letters C-G that are currently TAD yesterday... :D

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
Amen, Brother! So! back to the topic at hand.. i heard that results were released to people born in January-April with a last name staring with letters C-G that are currently TAD yesterday... :D

So can anyone get on https://www.bol.navy.mil right now? I cannot and it's bothering me. As for the kids, well they're just a blessing ...I just remember the days when I was younger and could sleep forever ...

SkyBoundET2

it seems to be down... keeps giving me the 'cannot find server' message. quick question- what does your signature mean/ where is it from??

SkyBoundET2

i'm in a slight predicament- i was speaking with one of the officers who has been very helpful in my application to STA-21, and mentioned that i wanted to organize a sort of 'support group' type thing for next FY. Basically, i had next to no help with my package, and got wrong answers multiple times from people who should have had the right ones. Also, the little details of a package (first endorsement format, personal statement content, etc.) can be confusing. He advised me not to do that, for two reasons. 1) It is the command career counselors, and departmental/divisional counselors jobs. 2) I might simply end up with people trying to copy my personal statement, or do very little work on teir own. I agree with the point he made- that STA is for dedicated, determined sailors, and if people don't have the initiative to get a package together on their own, then they aren't what the program is looking for. I just encountered so many problems submitting my own that i thought it would be helpful. I had at least 15 people ask me how they can apply. I'm on a carrier, and the CCC's obviously can't offer a decent amount of one-on-one time to every sailor submitting a package. Also, I would definitely put my foot down about people having original personal statements, and not do things for them, so much as give them advice on how to collect all the neccessary documents, not to mention point them to the right section of the instruction. What do all of you think about it? Should i go ahead and start planning, or take the officer's advice?

0812GM

FY09 STA-21 NFO Select
I would take the officer's advice. Why don't you try and volunteer to be your divisional CC; it is a great collateral duty, and it will be your responsibility to have the info for your sailors. I have been a departmental/divisional CC for almost 3 years now and it has been the most rewarding collateral duty that I have had.

jeeplovindad

it seems to be down... keeps giving me the 'cannot find server' message. quick question- what does your signature mean/ where is it from??

I work on SPY ... the octagons are the antennas on the side of the ship ... it's funny, to me at least, when people ask me about the octagons. Anyways, I'm a dork ...

jeeplovindad

i'm in a slight predicament- i was speaking with one of the officers who has been very helpful in my application to STA-21, and mentioned that i wanted to organize a sort of 'support group' type thing for next FY. Basically, i had next to no help with my package, and got wrong answers multiple times from people who should have had the right ones. Also, the little details of a package (first endorsement format, personal statement content, etc.) can be confusing. He advised me not to do that, for two reasons. 1) It is the command career counselors, and departmental/divisional counselors jobs. 2) I might simply end up with people trying to copy my personal statement, or do very little work on teir own. I agree with the point he made- that STA is for dedicated, determined sailors, and if people don't have the initiative to get a package together on their own, then they aren't what the program is looking for. I just encountered so many problems submitting my own that i thought it would be helpful. I had at least 15 people ask me how they can apply. I'm on a carrier, and the CCC's obviously can't offer a decent amount of one-on-one time to every sailor submitting a package. Also, I would definitely put my foot down about people having original personal statements, and not do things for them, so much as give them advice on how to collect all the neccessary documents, not to mention point them to the right section of the instruction. What do all of you think about it? Should i go ahead and start planning, or take the officer's advice?

I agree with your officer. This year I was in a predicament where I felt that I did a lot of the leg work and watched another person on the ship reap the benefit. I have no problem helping out if there is a little give and take. You'll find that 90% of the time,however, it's more give than take.

SkyBoundET2

I would take the officer's advice. Why don't you try and volunteer to be your divisional CC; it is a great collateral duty, and it will be your responsibility to have the info for your sailors. I have been a departmental/divisional CC for almost 3 years now and it has been the most rewarding collateral duty that I have had.

my only problem with that is that i'm TAD to MSC- a 10-15 person division of senior 2nd and 1st classes. None of them are interested in applying. Though i might be able to volunteer to departmental, sort of as a stand-by, assistant. Good idea!

SkyBoundET2

I agree with your officer. This year I was in a predicament where I felt that I did a lot of the leg work and watched another person on the ship reap the benefit. I have no problem helping out if there is a little give and take. You'll find that 90% of the time,however, it's more give than take.

very good point- and i think that's what he was trying to convey to me. I just feel like i could offer so much help, and mostly DON'T WANT to believe that people would take advantage of that. You're right, though, they almost certainly would. Oh, and there's nothing wrong with being a bit dorky. I think life holds more humor for those of us who can laugh at the cheesy stuff too.

CMS_189

Combat Air Crew
I helped people left and right at my last command on this stuff, last year alone..... 3 "c" schools packages, 3 MCEP packages, 1 IPP package, and 1 OCS package. And you're right, doing CCC type stuff is very gratifying. I would agree that you need to be careful in sharing certain information, but definitely help where you can. I had to do my complete STA-21 package completely myself so I know what you are talking about, and it seems to be a growing trend.... that you have to do this stuff on your own. But I would definitely help people with what they needed in there package, how to go about getting certain things, formatting and things like that. I never shared my personal statement or anything like that... but I would stress what needed to be in it. I never did the work for them, but was there to guide and answer questions. Things that I would have liked available to me while I was putting my package together.
I will say this. All you have to do is just start, you don‘t need to work for the CCC or anything…. Help one person, and then pretty soon somebody else will come up to you, then somebody else.

SkyBoundET2

14 people viewing??? c'mon everybody! post some stuff! I'm on duty and my single job all day is to sit in MSC. that's it. i'm precomming- it's not like anybody needs stuff. heard any good jokes lately?

Cleonard19

Contributor
Fine, I'll post if you're gonna pull my arm about it. :p

I'd be interested in seeing what everyone's first choices are for college if they get selected.

Personally, I'm torn between Penn State (where I'd really like to go), and Auburn (which is close to home because my parents are getting older, and well you get the point) If i don't get picked up for nuke but do get core, I'll go to GTech.