• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fy08 Sta21

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Why do you NEED OCs at a unit? Am I missing something?
Every OC I've talked to has told me that it's on the OCs to bring a "touch of reality" to the unit. I obviously don't know first hand, but I did notice during the midshipman cruises we hosted, that the mids really do look up to enlisted guys, at least during their first and second years (for better or worse). Sometimes I wonder if the whole STA-21 program is in place for no other reason than to put experianced people in NROTC units as students. Then again, maybe the CIA killed Kennedy too....

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Why do you NEED OCs at a unit? Am I missing something?

At our unit, the OC's are a pretty tight bunch. We all hang out quite a bit outside of the unit. Some OC's are going to areas of the country where they litterally don't know a soul and the other Officer Candidates could be thier only friends for a while.

MiniGuns

I am currently in the process of applying to the STA-21 program, and I was wondering if any of yall have any tips that I should know. Also after reading through this thread it looks to me with this being my first time applying I might not get selected?

MiniGuns

Does it matter who I get letter of reccomendations from ie, old LCPOs? And how many letters of reccomendations is to many?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I would try to get rec letters from Officers...as high ranking as possible. If you could get a letter from an Officer in the specific designator you are applying for, that would be ideal.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Make sure that the people who you get letters from have first hand knowledge of your experience. I also think that a letter from a Master Chief saying he would gladly serve under you says just as much as a Captain saying he would welcome you into his wardroom. I had three letters in my package. One from a RADM, a Master Chief, and my Congressman. While the Congressman couldn't say anything to my experience, I think the fact that I took the time for that may have eluded how much I wanted the program.

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
I am currently in the process of applying to the STA-21 program, and I was wondering if any of yall have any tips that I should know. Also after reading through this thread it looks to me with this being my first time applying I might not get selected?

Don't ever think that you won't get accepted because it's your first time applying. I was accepted my first time, and so were so many others. Just drop your application and hope for the best. If you don't get picked up the first time, make sure you are quick to drop your package the next year.