• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fy08 Sta21

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Hey everyone, I know it is early in the year still. But I thought I would take it upon myself to start a FY08 STA21 thread for all of this years upcoming applicants and their application statistics, as well as any advice or comments anyone else has to offer up. I guess I will start with mine. I'm still waiting on a few more things but this is it so far.

Applying Pilot, Core alternate
26yo 8 year enlisted nuke ET1(SS)
SAT: 1190 ASTB: 6, 5, 5, 55
Have an AS degree with 4.0 gpa and over 200 sh credit from navy and CLEP/DSST
A’s in Calculus I&II deans list at current school
LOR’s three O-6 (two former CO’s other ret. friend)
USMAP Journeyman ET license
Commercial license SEL, MEL, instrument (260 hours)
Ground instructor AGI, IGI

This is my third application (FY05, FY06). Prior apps had almost no college, no flight time. My detractor this year I think will be my age. I will be able to finish my degree way early though because I have so much credit already. I have basically exhausted my TA two years running.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Don't sweat the age... Number 1, I got picked up with the same rate and at nearly the same age. Number 2, there is not a damn thing that you can do about it!:D Waivers didn't seem to be a problem then. Of course that was then. No way to tell.

Best of luck to you.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
How are the evals?
Not EP's since I made first. All were prior to that though. But they put my ranking each time to at least show I was close and #1 out of the dept. It's tough to be #1 at the command when there are a lot of first classes especially when your command is "helping" some 18 19 year E-6's that they really think should make chief by handing out EP's just for their tenure. I've always thought that was B.S.

I'm really hoping that they are able to read between all the lines in my package and see what is really there. I was lucky enough to already have an individual who sat on the FY06 board take a look over what I had going for me this time and surprising he actually remembered seeing my package at the board before. So I got his opinion of what he thought my chances were. Of course you never know until the results come out after you apply. Because most of the decision is simply based on who you are up against. That and I guess the numbers which I'm crossing my fingers are high this year.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Don't worry about the EP's as much. The main thing, as I'm sure you realize but this is for others that don't, is that you don't show any regression. Good write-up is just as important as the MP/EP. I started my first class evals w/ a P and progressed up to an EP when I left, but had two MP's when I was selected for STA-21.

Note: You're exactly where I was when I was selected, and it took me twice. The main difference between the first and second was college credits. GL and also, it's not too early to be talking about this years application. The earlier the better as far as I'm concerned.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Don't worry about the EP's as much. The main thing, as I'm sure you realize but this is for others that don't, is that you don't show any regression. Good write-up is just as important as the MP/EP. I started my first class evals w/ a P and progressed up to an EP when I left, but had two MP's when I was selected for STA-21.
I know the other important thing to add to that too is that it is okay to have the first eval at a new command start out low as long as once again you show progression. Board members are very aware of how to scan evals thoroughly for the real truth and note things such as reporting seniors averages decode the sometimes cryptic wording.

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
I know the other important thing to add to that too is that it is okay to have the first eval at a new command start out low as long as once again you show progression. Board members are very aware of how to scan evals thoroughly for the real truth and note things such as reporting seniors averages decode the sometimes cryptic wording.

How were the write ups from the Officers on your two boards that you sat on? I'm not too experienced with Navy packages, but it seemed like that was what got me selected for FY07. I only had 3 evals period when I was selected, but my boards and letters of recommendation were well written, so look at how your boards are? I also point out that, since it is your third time trying, it is an added bonus to you, because one of the things I was told was that people who repeatedly apply show that they are dedicated to being a Naval Officer, and that is what the selection boards look for as well. That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
How were the write ups from the Officers on your two boards that you sat on? I'm not too experienced with Navy packages, but it seemed like that was what got me selected for FY07. I only had 3 evals period when I was selected, but my boards and letters of recommendation were well written, so look at how your boards are? I also point out that, since it is your third time trying, it is an added bonus to you, because one of the things I was told was that people who repeatedly apply show that they are dedicated to being a Naval Officer, and that is what the selection boards look for as well. That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Two years before were all 10's across the board with pretty nice write-ups. I'm convinced they had nothing to sell them completely on my academic potential. I didn't have a single class completed at that point and my SAT was even lower on those apps. Plus my High School transcript wasn't anything to brag about. But I think I've progressed so far since then it might make a difference this time around.

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
Two years before were all 10's across the board with pretty nice write-ups. I'm convinced they had nothing to sell them completely on my academic potential. I didn't have a single class completed at that point and my SAT was even lower on those apps. Plus my High School transcript wasn't anything to brag about. But I think I've progressed so far since then it might make a difference this time around.

Oh ok. Well then you should definitely be on the right path now. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't give you the slot this time. You seem like a great candidate to me. Good luck to you!

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
The only thing I can think of that might hurt you EWS if you didn't qualify on your boat. The fact that you have so much college might outweigh that though. Something that helped me I think was having a pilot and an NFO sit my Nomination Review Board. Also if you can get a prior board member to proof your personal statement, you might find some stuff in there that could be written better, (I know I did).
And on a side note, if I had it to do all over again, I would have done my flight physical BEFORE the results came out. Getting all that crap together last minute is nothing I ever want to do again. Just my thoughts, and best of luck.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
1 vbmenu_register("postmenu_311095", true);
Dr. Ballard's Driver
icon_star_bronze.gif

reputation_pos.gif

Sweetness! I hadn't noticed that you were on NR-1 until now. I'd love to jaw with you about it sometime. I had my screening package in there (as I was getting to the transfer window) running concurrently with my STA-21 package at the time. The detailer was dissappointed when I got picked up...he said I had a really good crack at it. In any case, drop me a PM or email sometime and best of luck with your package. Let me know if questions come up.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
So I was thinking about trying to find a command here in Hawaii where I could go get my interviews done. I know some of you have suggested that you try to interview with someone from the prospective community for which you are applying. Here goes my question: my current CO is an O-6 and the instruction says the other CO can't be subordinate. Does anyone know if they mean not subordinate chain of command wise or just rank subordinate or what? I never ran into this before because my previous CO's were just O-5's and I just used another sub as the other command and they were also O-5.

Also what is everyone's thoughts regarding the CO's interview form? I saw someone's package that was selected and the CO didn't put any extra comments on the interview form just pen in "See attached letter." I think it's redundant and I'm not sure if it's even required to write something both on the form and in their letter. But since my CO now is the type to just read and sign I figured I had better have something ready for him to sign ahead of time.