• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY06 Hopefuls

Crowbar

None
Ok, let me retract that last comment because I didnt really think it though before I typed it (was after a 14 hour day at work)...

What I MEANT to say is that I would rather not be tossed in charge of a bunch of people who know little or nothing about how the military works/operates... Its one thing to assume a leadership position over people who have been through boot camp and have at least some military bearing.

I guess its just a test of one's patience to be in charge of a bunch of college kids... I know how they like to buck the system... All in all I was saying its not my favorite idea, but believe me, ill take whatever the navy throws my way if it gets me where I want to be...

Mids can surprise you, in good ways and in bad ways. In most aspects, it's the same as having your own shop/division/whatever in that you have more experience that they need to learn from. I finally figured out that a lot of people in NROTC have had the Navy in their family or been obsessed with the Navy since they were little. As such, a lot of Mids have done a good bit of reading about Naval history, ships, subs, aircraft, capabilities, and the like. Don't assume that just because they haven't been in the fleet for years that they are complete imbeciles. Some are, but they are few and far between. Anyway, they need and in most cases will seek out your experience to put everything together. Not to mention, you have no stake in their service selection, so OCs are typically more honest about the pros/cons of each community...so expect Mids to ask you lots of questions about how things 'really' are. So yes, some of them are young, some are inexperienced, but all of them want to learn and will be hawking the active duty folks to see how things are done. Then when that's all over, back to the fleet...

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Where I am, most of the Mids are Merchant Marine Reserve people. The Navy is part time and, in their minds, it always will be. They can't wear their uniforms straight. Last week I was inspected by my company CO... he was wearing someone else's shirt, complete with someone else's nametag and someone else's lunch spilled on it. His sideburns were too long and he can't salute to save his life. I just got here recently, and so far, much of my impression of the Mids hasn't been much better.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
I got assigned as a Middy sponsor for a month long underway, a few months back.... giving me the chance to meet all of the middies, and getting to know several of them pretty well (they each got assigned to an E-5, and followed us around all day, standing watches, cleaning berthing, etc). out of the 13 we had, i was IMPRESSED by the enthusiam i saw in the group; my middy wanted a copy of my ESWS notes, so she could study up on the Ship-Class specifics, and picked up things pretty quick. She headed back to college a quallified Thawk launch controller.... and i had a hard time losing a competent member of my Workcenter (in one month, mind you). Gotta give those guys a fair shot, some of them REALLY want to be there.