• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY06 Hopefuls

Stryker

I was born with wings....
why do you say ROTC is a shock? Believe me, if you were where I am right now, ANYTHING is better than here.... Id rather stay in boot camp for a whole enlistment...

Stryker

ok so I guess I should backpedal a little... Where I am is actually a great place, but the kind of work I do is very tiring, and the 100+ degree heat everyday all day plus extremely high humidity is tiring.... I would much rather be in Rhode Island right now along with the rest of you....

All of you who have been to the gulf on deployments know exactly what im talking about...only difference is I am stationed here, so I get the joy of those conditions every day! :icon_smil

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
I figure everyone has already made this effort, but if not, your NC and probably your lead YN get the same permission levels in BUPERS for orders that your CO does.... if you buddy up with the above individuals, you'll know the answer as quick as your COC does. (this is what will help me prepare for rejection early)

hourocket

Bullseye
None
Im not saying NROTC is a bad place, I cant complain just showing up and being Navy for about 4 hours a week. Ive been in for 8 years so I kindof know what the "real" Navy is like, and then I have to take orders from 18 year old kids out of highschool that have no clue what the Navy is, and then somehow I am suppose to learn from them, not the other way around. Its just a different part of the Navy for me that I really dont like. Im use to being on a submarine, being incharge of people, doing stuff and getting things done, and then I come the NROTC and my rank and years in mean nothing. Oh well, I got use to it and graduate in Decemeber, I just wish I could following some of these people when they get to the Navy because they are going to be in for a real surprise.

cjettaf

BLACK SHOES
Rico,
As far as age waivers, I know I was considered the "old man" at 29. I had completed almost all of my college requirements prior to being selected though, and was only in ROTC for a year before being commissioned.

Stryker

hourocket,

I think they may have changed the program a little bit, because from what I was told by one of the higher ups in the STA-21 program the prior enlisted people are EXPECTED to take over the leadership positions in the ROTC units... This may just be a dog and pony show, but it would make sense though right?

But then again, I am not sure I want the responsibility of a bunch of 18 and 19 year old kids that have no military bearing and its their first time away from home.... been there, done that, dont want to repeat it again....

STA-21NURSE

I just spoke with my CCC and she informed me that their is little chance of seeing STA-21 results any time in October. She confirmed that she would be amongst the first people from my command to get word.

Stryker

I dont know how much I believe that statement... I have kept in contact with the STA-21 office throughout my application process, and the only reason that the results werent posted last year was because of the hurricanes in Pensacola....

They would post something on the sta-21 website if it were delayed... none the less I will email them and find out if they can "leak" any info to me.... ill keep you posted...

hourocket

Bullseye
None
Stryker,

Not sure when this change is taking place but I know for a fact my unit has not recieved the change. I think alot as to depend on the CO and his views of enlisted, mine doesnt think to highly of enlisted people, and I know this because he told to straight to my face.

jjmart

Has anyone noticed any changes to BOL yet or heard anything from their respective commands? The STA21 page is still the same with no updates, and so is BOL for my login. I'm hoping someone has recieved some type of conformation.

Stryker

Ok, let me retract that last comment because I didnt really think it though before I typed it (was after a 14 hour day at work)...

What I MEANT to say is that I would rather not be tossed in charge of a bunch of people who know little or nothing about how the military works/operates... Its one thing to assume a leadership position over people who have been through boot camp and have at least some military bearing.

I guess its just a test of one's patience to be in charge of a bunch of college kids... I know how they like to buck the system... All in all I was saying its not my favorite idea, but believe me, ill take whatever the navy throws my way if it gets me where I want to be...

heelowannabe

ok so I guess I should backpedal a little... Where I am is actually a great place, but the kind of work I do is very tiring, and the 100+ degree heat everyday all day plus extremely high humidity is tiring.... I would much rather be in Rhode Island right now along with the rest of you....

All of you who have been to the gulf on deployments know exactly what im talking about...only difference is I am stationed here, so I get the joy of those conditions every day! :icon_smil

So yeah, I am in those shoes right now, hating life in the desert. The real navy is fine, but give me rotc anyday!! Anyways, my CO emailed me to let me know that he will have the yes/no on or before the 31st, but he said the complete list on navadmin, might come out then or it might take up to the 2nd week of november.
hope that helps!!

anna