• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 23 IWC DCO Reserve Board

Jack5900

Hey everyone. First post on here. Wasn’t selected by the June board. Hoping to try again in September. I was hoping people who were selected would be willing to share more about their background so I can have a better idea of what is in demand by the navy for Intel.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey everyone. First post on here. Wasn’t selected by the June board. Hoping to try again in September. I was hoping people who were selected would be willing to share more about their background so I can have a better idea of what is in demand by the navy for Intel.

Assuming you’re 23: Lack of relevant work experience and likely not having a masters have to do with your non select.

Jack5900

Assuming you’re 23: Lack of relevant work experience and likely not having a masters have to do with your non select.
Oddly enough I graduate from my masters program tomorrow lol. But technically I do not currently have one. Masters of science in finance. Technically stem but obviously not a traditional stem major.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Oddly enough I graduate from my masters program tomorrow lol. But technically I do not currently have one. Masters of science in finance. Technically stem but obviously not a traditional stem major.

The lack of work experience still puts you at a deep disadvantage

Hey everyone. First post on here. Wasn’t selected by the June board. Hoping to try again in September. I was hoping people who were selected would be willing to share more about their background so I can have a better idea of what is in demand by the navy for Intel
I think you will find a variety of different experiences and backgrounds among 1835 selectees, especially since some of us are prior service and others aren't (like myself). But what is probably consistent across most is Master's degree, years of relevant work experience, years of professional leadership experience, and the ability to demonstrate this with confidence in your interviews. If your recruiter was able to get any feedback from your interviewers, that can also help you plan ahead if you need to wait to apply again. I know if I had applied directly out of grad school, I would not have been nearly competitive enough; I just did not have enough professional experience at the time. Just keep working toward this and be persistent!

Last edited:

ML2015

Sursum Ab Ordine
It really all depends. I think tertiaryadjunct has a good explanation for the process. I do not have a masters but I was an 8 year E-5 currently in the navy reserves when I went to my board. I understand that with this program there is a quote on quote "relevant work experience needed" but my opinion is that the big thing that they are looking for is the future. If they get the slightest feeling that you are not committed to doing 20 years, you will be put in certain pile. which makes sense, when I sit these boards in the future I would much rather promote someone from within that I know is going to stay in versus someone that is looking to pad their resume. Again in my opinion you can teach anyone to do the job such as 1835, 1825 but the hard part to learn is how to play Navy with all is quirks and nuances.

But please reach out if you need any advice or assistance with your package.

jmald10

For prior Enlisted who got commissioned already.
When are you entitled to wear the O rank and use the title after the Oath of Office and Service Agreement are completed. I am not sure if I should wait until the system is updated, and I get a new updated CAC or until I completed ODS, which could take months, prior to start using the Officer Rank and new Title in communication. But technically you are discharged as an Enlisted and re entered in the Navy and sworn in as an officer, so I am confused now.
Thank you all and good luck to new applicants.