• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If there are no spots available when the board happens they will not select anyone for that designator.

this can’t be true
If there are no spots available, they can postpone the board - or more likely, hold the board but select applicants for a future FY.

Historically, IP and CW select 2-10 applicants each, METOC has 0-3, and Intel has the rest. They care more about picking the right officers than arbitrarily underselecting or overselecting to meet some target on paper. They’ll leave spots open if no candidate is deserving, and they’ll select extra candidates for a later FY if they run out if spots and there is a worthy candidate still on the table (I’ve seen it happen).

exNavyOffRec

If there are no spots available, they can postpone the board - or more likely, hold the board but select applicants for a future FY.

Historically, IP and CW select 2-10 applicants each, METOC has 0-3, and Intel has the rest. They care more about picking the right officers than arbitrarily underselecting or overselecting to meet some target on paper. They’ll leave spots open if no candidate is deserving, and they’ll select extra candidates for a later FY if they run out if spots and there is a worthy candidate still on the table (I’ve seen it happen).
No spots available would mean there are no spots available at all, including upcoming FY.

There have been times where they over selected and then rescinded Pro Y's by giving "no quota" letters, that was a big mess up they did.

Explorer

Congrats!

Did you know you where selected on April 15th, or just found out?
I knew. Neither my OR or I knew when we would get the oath though. Performed the oath of office today.

I am transferring from the Air Guard as an E-7. Does anyone have an answer to whether or not I can wear the Navy uniform now? More or less looking for a second opinion. It’ll be a few weeks before I get my new CAC.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I knew. Neither my OR or I knew when we would get the oath though. Performed the oath of office today.

I am transferring from the Air Guard as an E-7. Does anyone have an answer to whether or not I can wear the Navy uniform now? More or less looking for a second opinion. It’ll be a few weeks before I get my new CAC.
Welcome aboard.

Once you swear in as an Ensign, you can wear the Navy uniform and Ensign rank immediately. Your officer oath photocopy is your ID for now. DEERS will eventually update your record but it takes a couple weeks.

But again, don’t hesitate to buy NWU IIIs (and khakis and SDBs if you have the cash) and get them fitted. Figure out which USAF ribbons and medals are/aren’t allowed on your Navy uniform. Recommend buying in a fleet concentration area where the tailor shop knows how to fit naval officer uniforms properly.

MajorThom13

Welcome aboard.

Once you swear in as an Ensign, you can wear the Navy uniform and Ensign rank immediately. Your officer oath photocopy is your ID for now. DEERS will eventually update your record but it takes a couple weeks.

But again, don’t hesitate to buy NWU IIIs (and khakis and SDBs if you have the cash) and get them fitted. Figure out which USAF ribbons and medals are/aren’t allowed on your Navy uniform. Recommend buying in a fleet concentration area where the tailor shop knows how to fit naval officer uniforms properly.
With medals and ribbons, you should be good wearing all of them. However there is an order they need to be in, with Navy being first. There are some places online that make the flat medals and ribbons, and usually their folks know the order. There used to be an online app that did the order if I remember correctly, but that was back in 2000-2001.

I have switched from Navy to Air Force, and hopefully back again this year. All branch’s medals and ribbons are allowed. What isn’t allowed are items like your AFSC badges.

Explorer

With medals and ribbons, you should be good wearing all of them. However there is an order they need to be in, with Navy being first. There are some places online that make the flat medals and ribbons, and usually their folks know the order. There used to be an online app that did the order if I remember correctly, but that was back in 2000-2001.

I have switched from Navy to Air Force, and hopefully back again this year. All branch’s medals and ribbons are allowed. What isn’t allowed are items like your AFSC badges.
There’s an undated resource on the ODS website that spelled out several awards that were explicitly not allowed. I also emailed the ODS deputy director who differed to her Chiefs, that said the only ribbon not authorized was the small arms qual ribbon. Needless to say, it’s not abundantly clear other than the following from the ODS site:

The following is a list of AWARDS WHICH ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR ON THE NAVY UNIFORM:
Air Force Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Combat Readiness Medal
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
Ribbon
Air Force Overseas Ribbon (Short Tour)
Air Force Basic Military Training Honor Graduate Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Air Force Outstanding Airman of the Year Ribbon
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon
Air Force NCO Professional Military Education Graduate Ribbon

This is probably a question for another post though.

jrh0425

There’s an undated resource on the ODS website that spelled out several awards that were explicitly not allowed. I also emailed the ODS deputy director who differed to her Chiefs, that said the only ribbon not authorized was the small arms qual ribbon. Needless to say, it’s not abundantly clear other than the following from the ODS site:

The following is a list of AWARDS WHICH ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR ON THE NAVY UNIFORM:
Air Force Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Combat Readiness Medal
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
Ribbon
Air Force Overseas Ribbon (Short Tour)
Air Force Basic Military Training Honor Graduate Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Air Force Outstanding Airman of the Year Ribbon
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon
Air Force NCO Professional Military Education Graduate Ribbon

This is probably a question for another post though.
I just left there on Friday and this is what is posted on the 4th deck.

Attachments

• IMG-1413.jpg
    IMG-1413.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG-1414.jpg
    IMG-1414.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG-1415.jpg
    IMG-1415.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19