• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

LawDawg740

There’s an undated resource on the ODS website that spelled out several awards that were explicitly not allowed. I also emailed the ODS deputy director who differed to her Chiefs, that said the only ribbon not authorized was the small arms qual ribbon. Needless to say, it’s not abundantly clear other than the following from the ODS site:

The following is a list of AWARDS WHICH ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR ON THE NAVY UNIFORM:
Air Force Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Combat Readiness Medal
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
Ribbon
Air Force Overseas Ribbon (Short Tour)
Air Force Basic Military Training Honor Graduate Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Air Force Outstanding Airman of the Year Ribbon
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon
Air Force NCO Professional Military Education Graduate Ribbon

This is probably a question for another post though.
MyNavyHR (you'll get intimately familiar with it soon enough) is an excellent resource for all uniform questions. A quick google and some reading will tell you everything and then some!

Explorer

If i may ask, what was your education background and civilian experience?
17 years enlisted Air Force in a variety of combat aviation, intel, and leadership roles. Undergrad in Aeronautics, grad in GIS. Civilian employment in defense aerospace engineering.

JordanB

17 years enlisted Air Force in a variety of combat aviation, intel, and leadership roles. Undergrad in Aeronautics, grad in GIS. Civilian employment in defense aerospace engineering.
Nice your background is awesome! I can see why you were selected! Congratulations

eeedoubleyou

Oath is ready! Commissioning next Wed (9/14).

Overall timeline:

First OR contact - 11/20
MEPS - 1/21
AEDO board (not selected) - 4/21
Package rework, new interviews - 8/21 to 11/21
IWC board - 1/22
Selected - 4/22
Oath - 9/22

Next week I'll be the newest Ensign in the Navy for a few minutes! Thanks to all the great advice given on these boards. I'll be sticking around to here to do my bit

JordanB

Oath is ready! Commissioning next Wed (9/14).

Overall timeline:

First OR contact - 11/20
MEPS - 1/21
AEDO board (not selected) - 4/21
Package rework, new interviews - 8/21 to 11/21
IWC board - 1/22
Selected - 4/22
Oath - 9/22

Next week I'll be the newest Ensign in the Navy for a few minutes! Thanks to all the great advice given on these boards. I'll be sticking around to here to do my bit
Congratulations!
I hope I’m making this post soon ?

bryanteagle6

Welcome aboard.

Once you swear in as an Ensign, you can wear the Navy uniform and Ensign rank immediately. Your officer oath photocopy is your ID for now. DEERS will eventually update your record but it takes a couple weeks.

But again, don’t hesitate to buy NWU IIIs (and khakis and SDBs if you have the cash) and get them fitted. Figure out which USAF ribbons and medals are/aren’t allowed on your Navy uniform. Recommend buying in a fleet concentration area where the tailor shop knows how to fit naval officer uniforms properly.

I normally defer to HairW on alot of things, but I recommend waiting to buy most uniform items until you go to ODS.

It is only beneficial to buy them early if your unit wears the service and service dress uniforms for drill, you plan on helping with funeral honors, or you live really close to a NEX uniform shop (still don't recommend getting them honestly).
Just get some type iiis and some boots. If you get coyote boots you will have to buy the black leather at ODS anyway. (Unless they changed from 2020)

number9

Contributor
Just get some type iiis and some boots. If you get coyote boots you will have to buy the black leather at ODS anyway. (Unless they changed from 2020)
I only found this out recently despite buying my uniforms (including tan boots) at the NEX and telling them I hadn't gone to ODS yet.

Interestingly, only one guy in the JO cohort at my unit wears black boots - the rest are in tan.

bryanteagle6

Again, things could have changed but, they make you buy/fill your seabag with basic uniform items. So if you look at the regs, black boots are basic and brown are optional. Everyone has to be uniform. So no patches and you also wear the khaki belt with gold buckle instead of a riggers belt...etc.

However regs say you can't wear the new CWP with the NWU but thats what we did! Ha. They just pick and choose what rules they want to follow I guess.

Main reason to buy uniforms there is the military star card deal and the fact that if they don't like the way it was tailored they will make you pay to redo it there