• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

adw06

My undergraduate GPA was not good also, I think 2.8 cumulative between community college and state university with a computer science and engineering technology degree. But I went back and got my MSE and MBA and carried a 3.8ish GPA along with 7 years of technical leadership which I believe is what made the difference. I was even told by an O-5 during a call for a letter of recommendation that he didn't think I was a competitive candidate for IP because of my low undergraduate GPA. Submitted anyway and it worked out for me. I had a withdrawal, a D, and an F in the my first two undergrad semesters after I transferred from CC to state university so don't let that get you down if you have some blemishes. I simply wasn't ready for college and my parents didn't prepare me - neither went to college and my dad wanted me to be an electrician. If you are going to go the IP route, best advice is to get a Masters in something technical obviously but also get Security+ certified. I hadn't done IT work in 14 years prior to submitting my packet but I studied and got certified. I had transitioned from IT to more mechanical engineering and engineering management - also completed an expat technical leadership assignment.

GPA helps a lot of candidates but if you have a solid resume of technical leadership, especially working for fortune 500 companies and a technical masters, I believe you can offset a bad undergraduate GPA.
Definitely agree with CarlosExcalibur here. I was not competitive with GPA. For various reasons I had a low GPA. I addressed these issues in an additional statement. I was selected this year. On top of that, I don't have a masters. What I did have a LOT of good work experience and great folks who wrote letters speaking to my work ethic, experience and ability to do the job. you will hear a lot of people tell you what makes you competitive including high GPA and graduate degrees. Competitive is one thing, but if you have the MINIMAL qualifications you should apply. Don't let anyone talk you out of applying or wait years and years until you feel you are more competitive.
If I'm pursuing a 2nd Bachelor's degree will the board look at my GPA from both or just my degree that I have?

I've got a BS in history with a 2.51 GPA, currently working on a BS in mechanical engineering with a 3.56 GPA. Combining them together puts me at roughly 2.9ish. Hoping that they will combine them together so I'm eligible for an IW DCO opportunity.

number9

Contributor
The school I dealt with was similar but when we talked to the registrar and asked questions like "what do you do if a person is apply for med school, or law school" they then said well actually we do have a way to do a conversion. It is about how they are asked and what it is for and who is asking.

The only employers I have seen to ask about grades were tech ones hiring right out of college for software engineers but I don't know how common that is.
Yeah, that's what I figured they would do. The school did give out awards to the best students, so clearly they have some way to convert it.

Thanks to being asked that same question a few times, I did some digging through my universities graduate program earlier today. Turns out I might be eligible to apply for a MS in aerospace engineering. I looked into that when I started my undergrad a few years ago and it wasn't an option, so I'm happy that changed.
I would seriously consider it, even if it means setting yourself back some time in the DCO process.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Definitely agree with CarlosExcalibur here. I was not competitive with GPA. For various reasons I had a low GPA. I addressed these issues in an additional statement. I was selected this year. On top of that, I don't have a masters. What I did have a LOT of good work experience and great folks who wrote letters speaking to my work ethic, experience and ability to do the job. you will hear a lot of people tell you what makes you competitive including high GPA and graduate degrees. Competitive is one thing, but if you have the MINIMAL qualifications you should apply. Don't let anyone talk you out of applying or wait years and years until you feel you are more competitive.
Agreed,

Also per program authorization(s) the graduate level culimulative GPA supersedes the undergrad.

You're better off getting your MS than trying to repair the undergrad GPA.

exNavyOffRec

Agreed,

Also per program authorization(s) the graduate level culimulative GPA supersedes the undergrad.

You're better off getting your MS than trying to repair the undergrad GPA.
They do however combine them on the GPA calculation sheet, that "supersede" part is so a person can apply that otherwise might not be able to.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Yup, so makes sense.. its better to get an MS than a 2nd undergrad. Most likely less courses, can highlight the very high GPA (you'd had better knock it out of the park), and you check the box for PA reqs. Win, win, win.

CMR1984

DD368 signed and sent Monday 5/16. Received my sponsor and assignment this morning. Was informed by my OR that the scroll process is taking 6-8 weeks.
I sent my recruiter DD368 and RRA yesterday. DCO sponsor sent me a welcome aboard letter last week and found out my new unit. The training officer already sent me dates for ODS and NIOBC.

number9

Contributor
I sent my recruiter DD368 and RRA yesterday. DCO sponsor sent me a welcome aboard letter last week and found out my new unit. The training officer already sent me dates for ODS and NIOBC.
Did he/she happen to mention if there are still free spots for the October ODS class? No worries if not.

CMR1984

Did he/she happen to mention if there are still free spots for the October ODS class?
Not 100% sure if there are openings. Looks like he copied/pasted the list. 10/16-11/18 is the first set of dates for ODS.

My OR said my COMMDOCS did not mention anything about having to mobilize prior to commissioning. Still waiting to hear more on that since I signed a pg13

number9

Contributor
Not 100% sure if there are openings. Looks like he copied/pasted the list. 10/16-11/18 is the first set of dates for ODS.

My OR said my COMMDOCS did not mention anything about having to mobilize prior to commissioning. Still waiting to hear more on that since I signed a pg13
No worries. I reached out to my training officer to see if he knows

adw06

I'm still waiting to hear things from my recruiter. I know he is busy so I'm trying to be patient. But I think I will harass him today and see what he says. I'm enlisted and currently deployed so I know that could potentially complicate things...

jnapolitano

I was messaged by my recruiter today that the DCO board decided to not award any selectees entry grade credit and that they are currently in the process of changing the program authorization to reflect this. I am currently a IT1 with the navy reserves and was selected by the DCO board for 1825 on this current board (first time up). Has anyone else received this information ?