• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Air Force is extremely competitive. Went through 4 recruiters for active duty and reserve and none would work with me unless I committed to a flying billet. They are really not picking up many non-rated civilian applicants.
Even on the Enlisted side? People often forget this is a way in the door.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
There are quite a few really good USAF enlisted who are going for USN OCS because they are getting no where trying to go USAF officer.
I can honestly say, for cyber and HUMINT, the Air Force is where it's at, especially as an Enlisted. The Navy is too obtuse with these fields and, to this day, continues to see things through the lends of a DDG CO.

One of my former Reserve CO's was an active duty SWO turned Reserve Intel officer (how cliche)... He was instrumental in neutering one of our HUMINT programs because he didn't feel that Reserve 1835's should be doing that type of work.

In the Air Force you can homestead in HUMINT or cyber as an Enlisted. Having worked at NSA and DIA most of the folks doing the cool stuff were Air Force, especially at NSA Computer Network Operations (f/k/a/ TAO). Very few, if any, Navy people there, aside from the random 1815/CW.

Heads up 1825's, you'll be working on pretty much zero relating to cyber true operations. You'll be relegated to traditional IT stuff and cyber "defense" (think patch management). I've known one 1825 who did cyber fires and that's only because he was a prior enlisted Air Force CCT. The others were all 1815/CW.

Last edited:

WSH20182020

Greetings,

I have been a lurker on here for about a year and will be reaching out to a recruiter in the very near future to get the ball rolling to become an 1835 applicant. Not sure how I stack up considering the massive amount of highly qualified applicants, any who, I’m a current GS Fed LEO (8 years) and hold a TS with a full scope poly. I’ll be finishing up my master’s this May and had two basic questions.

1.) Is 42 the age cutoff for non-prior service? I am in my mid 30s...
2.) When do the boards meet?

I understand a recruiter will be able to answer these questions but figured this is also a great place to ask. Thanks!

Duffy31

Greetings,

I have been a lurker on here for about a year and will be reaching out to a recruiter in the very near future to get the ball rolling to become an 1835 applicant. Not sure how I stack up considering the massive amount of highly qualified applicants, any who, I’m a current GS Fed LEO (8 years) and hold a TS with a full scope poly. I’ll be finishing up my master’s this May and had two basic questions.

I understand a recruiter will be able to answer these questions but figured this is also a great place to ask. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum! As far as I know, the cut off age is 42. I'm not sure if you would be able to get a waiver for anything over that or not. But since you're in your mid 30s, I wouldn't worry about that too much at the moment. I'm also a Fed LEO with a clearance and I was selected for 1835 with the last batch. What is your master's degree going to be in? I definitely believe that having that helped a ton towards getting selected, and I'm also sure that the clearance helped as well. I'm not sure exactly when the boards meet, but if it is similar to this year, the next boards should meet in March-ish time. I'm sure a recruiter can give you a more precise answer to that question.

WSH20182020

Thanks for the reply! Congrats on getting selected! My master's is in "Homeland Security Studies" from Tulane Univ. Does the region you are applying from play a role or are all applications viewed by the same board?

Duffy31

Thanks for the reply! Congrats on getting selected! My master's is in "Homeland Security Studies" from Tulane Univ. Does the region you are applying from play a role or are all applications viewed by the same board?
Thank you. You'll be applying with others in your area. A while ago I was told by my recruiter that an applicant might be more competitive in one area vs another, just depends on how many apply, what their packets are like, etc.

number9

Contributor
Hey all , I got the call yesterday that I was not selected. I'm going to reapply again.
I'm sorry to hear that. Let me know if I can help you prep in any way when you reapply.

Greetings,

The age cut-off is 42 upon commissioning. It may take you 6-9 months (or more) from the time you interview to the time you commission. You're totally fine if you're in your mid-30s, though.

trakanon

Contributor
Greetings,

Hi sir good luck on your journey someone posted the board dates on this thread:

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/new-fiscal-year-board-dates.48526/

AAA74

I am probably the last one to be notified about the results but it was good news. 1835! It was my second try. Had to get an age waiver which made the process longer than average. Congrats to those who have been selected and to those who were not, keep trying! Make your application stronger each round.