• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 20 IWC DCO Board

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Some summarized notes with my comments weaved in:
  • Candidates should know the difference between the designators and associated missions and should read the Program Authorizations for their designator choices. I think I mentioned this before. I've interviewed candidates who knew very little about the designators, including their first choice
  • Candidates should apply for the designator that best suits their experience, education, and and skills. If you want IP but are best suited for Intel, then you should focus on Intel
  • Some candidates were selected based on their 2nd or 3rd designator preference
  • Designator preferences should be consistent throughout the entire application (consistent theme) and recruiters should be guiding candidates
  • Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML) education and expertise is highly desired
  • Candidates with civilian experience in space are desired
  • Motivational statements should detail why candidate desires a commission and in the specific designator choice

Barazin

I’m hoping to get feedback from multiple people who were drilling reservist at the time they were selected to get a better idea on how to schedule all the upcoming classes/schools needed to become fully qualified.

- My OR was telling me that my oath can come in as soon as December but it looks like people from past fall boards got theirs around May/June. Has anyone gotten their oath within a month or two after they were ?

- How long after turning in your signed oath did it take for you to show up as an O-1 in NSIPS?

Thanks in advance.

Bones

Notified of "PRO-REC Y" by recruiter: April 16th
RRA/Orders Request: April 18th
DD-368 Conditional Release from Enlistment: Submitted April 23rd. Approved April 30th by PERS
Oath Issued: May 6th
Unit Assignment : May 10th
Service Agreement Received: May 20th
Oath Taken / Commissioned: May 24th

In June, my rank was updated in NSIPS. It was updated before I was even formally gained by my new reserve unit.

Trapt

So I've received my unit assignment and Chain of Command. I'm just waiting on the oath and commission to be issued before I can take the Oath -- I was hoping to be able to do it over the Thanksgiving Holiday with my brothers but it's looking like it might not be until December. I'm supposedly starting drill in January. Anyone else heard back on drill stations?

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Congrats selectees! Other than the NOSC headaches, the USNR is a fantastic place.

• Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML) education and expertise is highly desired

This is news to me. Way back when I was applying, I was dissuaded immediately from CW/IP for not being an info security guy despite all the software and ML experience, and shot down from intel for not being an alphabet boy or financial analyst. It looks like the calculus has changed a lot in the last couple years, along with the ODS change and IP and CW course extension.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
This is news to me. Way back when I was applying, I was dissuaded immediately from CW/IP for not being an info security guy despite all the software and ML experience, and shot down from intel for not being an alphabet boy or financial analyst. It looks like the calculus has changed a lot in the last couple years, along with the ODS change and IP and CW course extension.

It seems to be a high priority.
The Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Warfare has directed prioritization of IWC new accessions with Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML) education and expertise.

steinklatre

I have skills in almost everything else but AI/ML will my development skills not be considered desirable?

• Motivational statements should detail why candidate desires a commission and in the specific designator choice
I just submitted my motivational statement and geared it heavily towards a commission in a semi-focused sense rather than one or the other designator. I read some things on this site and from an O-6 mentoring me that I needed to express why I want to be an officer first.

Last edited:
So I've received my unit assignment and Chain of Command. I'm just waiting on the oath and commission to be issued before I can take the Oath -- I was hoping to be able to do it over the Thanksgiving Holiday with my brothers but it's looking like it might not be until December. I'm supposedly starting drill in January. Anyone else heard back on drill stations?

I'm in same boat as you: have my unit and chain of command, only waiting on comdocs and oath, should start drill in January . . . paperwork willing

Barazin

I'm in same boat as you: have my unit and chain of command, only waiting on comdocs and oath, should start drill in January . . . paperwork willing

Are you and @Trapt currently civilians?

Notified of "PRO-REC Y" by recruiter: April 16th
RRA/Orders Request: April 18th
DD-368 Conditional Release from Enlistment: Submitted April 23rd. Approved April 30th by PERS
Oath Issued: May 6th
Unit Assignment : May 10th
Service Agreement Received: May 20th
Oath Taken / Commissioned: May 24th

In June, my rank was updated in NSIPS. It was updated before I was even formally gained by my new reserve unit.

Thank you! Does anybody else remember their dates?

Glad to hear others are making progress as well! I spoke with my OR yesterday who told me my oath is good to go so on Tuesday I'll be going to his office to take the Oath of Office. I'm currently a civilian, but spent 5 years on active duty in the USMC and October 2nd, 2019 was my last day in the US Army Reserve after a little over 3 years.

My timeline is as follows:

Notified of "PRO-REC Y" by recruiter: October 25th
RRA/Orders Request: October 30th
Email from my unit: November 13th
Assigned a sponsor from my unit: November 21st
Oath Taken / Commissioned: November 26th

Trapt

Yep! I'm still waiting. The man doing my background check/paperwork told me that they should get my clearance squared away soon and hopefully the Oath/COMDOCS back sometime next week or the week after.

Also, but if anyone likes skiing, you can pick up the military Epic Pass for $199 until Sunday. I called and they told me that I just had to send them my commissioning documentation when I received it and they were fine with that. So super good deal.

steinklatre

Just got word I am attending the FT. Dix interviews for CW/IP Dec 7/8 date/time TBD. I have the OIC interview via video/tele today or tomorrow, awaiting info for that. The next board isn't until March correct?

Anyone a drilling reservist and done an interview over the drill weekend? I am trying to sort out whether this is official reserve business or if I should reschedule my drills.